WORST WCP/SO ship

I wasn't fond of the Piranha since it had a hard time killing much of anything without missiles or the stormfire, but I have to feel sorry for who/whatever pilots the bad guy's Lampreys. Talk about useless...

Well, here's the problem I have with this thread:

What is our criteria for a bad ship?

Personally, I think a bad ship is a ship that doesn't fit it's role. The Shrike was a perfect Medium Bomber, the Piranha was a perfect Light Fighter, the Vampire was a perfect Space Superiority fighter. The problems people seem to have with them is when they try and use them outside their assigned role:

"The Piranha can't dogfight and hold it's own!"
"The Shrike can't kill fighters worth beans!"
"The Vampire is to hard to control!"

Neither of these are valid complaints about the respective ships because those ships weren't designed to fulfill that role.

If you want to talk about a ship that DOESN'T fit it's assigned role, it's the Devestator everytime. I remember a post on here once said it was closer to a Corvette then a Bomber, and I personally happen to agree.

I do wonder what is it about the Devastator's capship-killing ability which doesn't make it a bomber. True, the plasma cannon often made torpedoes unnecessary, but it's still very much a bomber to me.

Also, I know no one cares much about spelling, but I humbly beseech people (those who claim English to be their first language, anyway) to recognise the difference between then and than. It's really starting to frustrate me. :(

I never understood the hype behind the Devil Ray. As "ace" as it's supposed to be, I've never had trouble killing it, even in a bomber.

And Barracuda's just aren't that scary to me. Kilrathi Corvettes from WC3 on the other hand, used to scare me pretty good. Those things were loaded with turrets, and one of them pointed straight behind the thing.

I didn't actually say they were dangerous, just that they had annoyingly thick armor, as far as the bugs go... I liked to use swarmers on them just to speed things up.

I agree it would have been great to have the Devastator get a real big bomber feeling - but then it should have been far less manoeuverable and shouldn't mount the Plasma in my opinion. The Plasma made torpedos obsolete for me. I am convinced that a Devastator that drops all it's torps, mines, turrets, some armour and shield and gets a speed and agility boost would be a far superior cap ship killer than the regular one. Though it wouldn't really be a Devastator anymore.

A 'flying plasma cannon' would be a neat concept for a ship - give it only the plasma gun and some defensive turrets... and maybe set some kind of limit on the weapon's use (a long recharge or a limited number of shots or something.)

My impression is that such a powerful gun would be rather 'heavy' and therefore more suited for a bomber type ship.

Mines were useless in my opinion. Just have torps and some better missles for protection. Also a fast shooting gun to make quick work of turrents.

Back