Wing Commander Saga Project

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
I don't know if you have heard of this Project: Wing Commander Saga
It is a WC TC for Freespace.
You can find it here
Wing Commander Saga

They have made some progress, but there Forum is so quite. So if you are intrested in WC take a look at there page and there Forum.

PS: I know that I have posted this befor, but the General Chat is shown on the CIC Page and so much more people would see it. So please leave this one here. Thanks.

To me, turning a bad WC ripoff into an even worse WC ripoff never really seemed that appealing...

Wing Commander Saga is the name not the game!
Beside that I wouldn't judge it befor I have seen it. Just take a look. If you don't like the outcome (when its finished) thats an other thing.

Dont worry lars, that is frosty, he is our resident cynic/pessimist, he finds the negative in anything, most of us just ignore him

I am wondering, isn't this the best know Wing Commander page/forum? Why the heck is there nearly no response?
Is it that you don't like Freespace2 or what?
Isn't there anybody who has questions or ideas. Also critics are welcome.
So what can I/we do to make this more intresting?
If you don't tell us whats wrong we can't do nothing against it.

PS: I hope that no one fells himself personal "attacked" by my post.

freespace 2 was NEVER a WC ripoff. for a start it has comp[letely different physics, style of play and storyline.

Originally posted by gevatter Lars
I am wondering, isn't this the best know Wing Commander page/forum? Why the heck is there nearly no response?
Is it that you don't like Freespace2 or what?
Isn't there anybody who has questions or ideas. Also critics are welcome.
So what can I/we do to make this more intresting?
If you don't tell us whats wrong we can't do nothing against it.

PS: I hope that no one fells himself personal "attacked" by my post.

Most people on this board have heard about WC:Saga and you haven't really asked anything new, so it doesn't really invoke the most brilliant of conversation :)

Frosty, i should slap you boy

i have all 10 wing commander games - and both freespace games - FreeSpace is not a WC rip off.

I'd know, im a picky SOB, and would be glad to help the FS2:WCSaga project once i get my freespace 2 stuff back in order

[Oh, for reference - i wrote POF Constructor Suite, the model compiler for freespace 2 models that they're probably already using]

And if you look at my other post you'll see what i really want to see outa FreeSpace2's source

i'd like to know how - the story lines are not even related, none of the ships from FS look like WC ships in anyway, all navigation is different, the physics are notably different.

The only way "FreeSpace is a WC Ripoff" is that it's of the same genre - yes WC was the first in the genre, yes without WC's success the genre wouldn't exist - but that doesn't mean EVERY game in the genre is a WC ripoff. I have seen a great many WC ripoffs, FreeSpace is not one of them.

There are fans that love the game and don't let it blind their critical objectivity, and then there are facist fans

Welcome to Everyone Who Disagrees With Me is a Fascistville, Population: Hypocrite.

Freespace is another game in the same style Wing Commander established: physics-lacking first person space shooters. This is why it's a Wing Commander ripoff. It also bears numerous similarities with Prophecy, which are probably not intentional: they both use the same late-90s bag of shiney graphical tricks and both their stories are about mysterious powerful aliens attacking Earth.

well what the hell else would a space flight sim be about? fluffy bunny rabbits attacking earth? there's always mystery at the start of a war besides there's a lot more depth to freespace than that. for a start there was an EXISTING WAR against the vasudans. both sides end up uniting to fight off the shivans tell me where THAT happens in WC. the kilrathi didn't sign up with confed... they were CRUSHED with the temblor bomb.

Originally posted by Darkmage
well what the hell else would a space flight sim be about? fluffy bunny rabbits attacking earth? there's always mystery at the start of a war besides there's a lot more depth to freespace than that. for a start there was an EXISTING WAR against the vasudans. both sides end up uniting to fight off the shivans tell me where THAT happens in WC. the kilrathi didn't sign up with confed... they were CRUSHED with the temblor bomb.

Okay...
This argument's starting to get stupid again.
First of all, most space combat sims are OBVIOUSLY a rip-off of the classic Star Raiders, which was the first space combat game that I'm aware of that had 3D physics (albeit non-Newtonian), rear view window with guns, energy management, shields, combined keyboard and joystick controls, throttle management, jump engines, etc...
(Amazing how much they could squeeze into a cartridge on a machine that only allowed up to 48k - although I think the game itself only required 16k)

Secondly, space combat sims can differ markedly from Star Raiders. A good example of that is Independence War, which is about as different from Star Raiders as a game can get while still being a space combat sim.

Originally posted by Darkmage

Well... actually, that happens in Prophecy... we fight alongside the Kilrathi...

I don't see what the problem is. There hasn't been any copyright issue since Origin hasn't sued Volition, so why does it matter if both games are similar?

I don't think anybody's claiming there's some legal issue here. Just that Freespace is a ripoff of Wing Commander... it's a game derivative of Wing Commander's succesful premise.

Back