Wing Commander reality

DeltaKiller

Spaceman
Sometimes, I think about the Wing Commander world, and it is almost impossible for some us to fathom what a life full of war is. All of humanity was at war for fourty years, at that length, there was only one option left for both sides, win the war, no matter what the cost.

Many of us have grandparents or parents who were in WWII, and they know firsthand what a hellish time war is.

I may be morbid this way, hell maybe I'm jsut crazy, but my thoughts just seem to stray on stuff like this from time to time.

Anyway, what do you think? Do you think that Wing Commander (both the games and the novels) can somewhat depict the feelings and emotions of people in a harsh wartime enviroment? Also, does anyonethink that we truly understand what it means to be living in the middle of a war?

I'm just curious, that's all.

Thanks,

-=DeltaKiller=-

"Oooooooh, shiny!" Kiki the Feret.

You know? I think that the WC series may be one of the only action games that truely deals with war and death the same way that you do in real life. That`s one of the reasons I really appreciate the game.
Although I haven`t played that many games in general, I don`t think I have ever encountered a game that deals with this stuff so realistically.

Holland, (well, the union of Utrecht
wink.gif
) had a 80 year war whit spain...

i don't know why i brought that up!?
confused.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tis difficult to say, since I've never been in a war, so I can't compare the two experiences.
However, it seems to me that WC does paint a very realistic picture. I just think it's sad that some would like to screw this picture up by bringing ba... er... er...
I'm not gonna finish that sentence, because then I'd have to edit my own post. But you know what I mean.

War is a common thing not only to people who served in the WW2 but to people born recently you switch on the TV and you see people at war every day. Sometimes wars start for any reason. And its not just Wing Commander who depicts War in Humanity's Future Star Trek, Babylon5, Blade Runner, Fifth Element I mean its every where.

Well, I've always felt that it is easier to relate to WC rather than to B5 or Star Trek, etc.

Although, Star Trek: DS9 has the hard truths of war at the end of the seres with the Dominon war, I still think that WC presents it best.

James Wilson: Of course wars are shown everywhere, but they're not quite realistic everywhere.

Oh, and wars don't just start for any reason.
smile.gif

I always felt that in Star-Trek the humans aren`t really the same race as we are. they`re just too good and noble, and even though it`s 300 and 370 years into the future, I don`t really believe we`d have changed that much in such a short time.
frown.gif

B5 is much more realistic regarding human behaviour IMO.

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited May 26, 2000).]

I agree, Madhatter. Humans are not that noble or nice. All the planets with the run-down, crapps cities were never seen until they started DS9, then, for the first time, they tried getting into the darker side of humanity in both TNG and DS9.

The Great Bird wanted to write about a race that had united, instead of fighting each other every chance they get. Actually, humans were seen as less than perfect in TOS already, and even the first season of TNG.

Humans will change, look how we've evolved in the last few hundred years. No one knows how we will be different, it's refreshing to see somewhere where weren't exactly the same centuries later.

Well, considering how many times I've yelled at Earthworm about this, you undoubtedly know my opinion. Humans NEVER change.

Sure, some. But more start because of religion or some silly reason. The willingness to communicate or learn to do so perhaps is what you were referring to.

Back