Wing Commander reality

Death's Head: well, communication can be ineffectual for any number of reasons. Yes, if the other person refuses to communicate, that will undoubtedly lead to trouble.

Death's Head said:
The Great Bird wanted to write about a race that had united, instead of fighting each other every chance they get. Actually, humans were seen as less than perfect in TOS already, and even the first season of TNG.

Humans will change, look how we've evolved in the last few hundred years. No one knows how we will be different, it's refreshing to see somewhere where weren't exactly the same centuries later.

Actually, DH, I don`t think we`ve changed that much in the last 1000 years or so. Maybe as a civilization, yes, but our personallity has remained much the same.
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that, something that we like to think about though? What I mean is that we learn about how our thinking, what we feel is universal. 1000 years ago and 1000 years from now, humans will still love, hate, laugh, have the same range of moral standards. We may evolve slowly, but the only thing that is moving at a fast pace is our technology.

My thoughts,

-=DeltaKiller=-

Quarto said:
Ah, finally someone understands
smile.gif
AH Q, that was basicly my point when we were arguing about P2. Because people in there sure as hell didn't change that much.

DH, you're stupid.
smile.gif
No, not really. Belive me, you haven't offended me in a long, long time.
smile.gif

Earthworm watches as TC's comment crushes before him, seing how Earthworm never said that people change in a major way.

"our personallity has remained much the same."
Personality isn't something that changes unless there is some change in the structure of the mind, or elsewhere. Evolution takes time.

Sometimes I wonder...are we going to give ourselves that time?
frown.gif

Well, now, Humans aren't that bad. Remember, we had democracy - a better democracy than any modern one, I daresay - some two thousand years ago.

At any rate, in spite of several nasty occurances, for the most part, the events of the last two weeks leave me feeling optimistic.

Hmm... it would be interesting to get your point of view on what's been happening, Mad Hatter & Hero...

I should probably add, that when I say the Greek democracy was better, I most certainly do not mean better in every way. Just one or two aspects of it.

Well Q, you basicly heared my opinion: I still believe that soon enough things will get worse, and we'll have to get back in (well maybe not to stay, but non the less go in). The way we left... I just don't like it: No treaty, having to blow our bases, that's just worng. I do beleive we don't have anything to look for there, but I don't really feel like serving near the border line dodging popshots. But hey, I can be wrong and maybe things will calm down, you can never know...

Aye, Mad Hatter, I mean about Lebanon.

Hero: All the political commentators are insisting that it can only get worse. But from what I've read, there's a hell of a lot of jubilation - on both sides of the border. Sure, there's also a lot of taunting and stone-throwing (and apparently, some melon-throwing as well
smile.gif
), but so far, there's been no actual combat (unless that's changed in the last ten hours). So, I'm actually highly optimistic - I think that this will calm down.
As for pulling out, it may not have been the best way to do it, but would you rather serve in Lebanon while your politicians are bickering with Syria?

Hmm, well, as it turns out, there have in fact been one or two violent incidents. But reports have it that Hezbollah is trying just as hard as the IDF to keep things under control. And I don't think that any of those people really want to continue the war - they're just venting. Give it a few weeks, and things ought to calm down quite nicely
smile.gif

You sure are optimistic, Quarto.
The truth is, they really caught me by surprise. I wasn`t expecting that quick a withdrawal, I was certain it would take them more than 24 hours, so I guess if they surprised me, the Hezbollah must have been surprised too... at least to some extent.
wink.gif

I don`t believe we`ll be going in again, at least not in the next 10 years or so. I know that history tends to repeat itself, but not that fast. The only reason the Hezbollah is still threatening us that it will continue to fight even though we`ve left south Lebanon, is that it needs us there to continue having a reason to live. If war doesn`t erupt in the next few months, the Hezbollah will be forced to become a political movement and it`s military wing will disappear. The Hezbollah isn`t stupid. They know they can`t continue in their present state as long as we don`t fight them, so they`re trying to provoke us into comming back in and getting our ass kicked both by them and by the global community.
If we remain patient, we might actually emerge victorious out of this situation.

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited May 29, 2000).]

Well, yeah, they caught me by surprise, too
smile.gif
I'm not sure if I'm being too optimistic, or perhaps you guys are being too pessimistic. I know it's very easy for me to have the wrong idea about things, since I'm several thousand kilometres away, but at the same time, you're too close to see the big picture. Note the way Hezbollah has actually been trying to calm things down in Lebanon. For example, they're trying to persuade the Christians to stop worrying so much (except for that one incident). And they're apparently even trying to calm things down at the border.
Anyway, you seem to be assuming that Hezbollah still wants to be a military movement. Think about it for a second - you (you meaning Israel) certainly are tired of the war - that's why you withdrew. So what makes you think that Hezbollah wants to keep fighting? At any rate, let's hope for Hero's sake that I'm right
smile.gif

Amen to that.
Believe me, I have no desire to go in there again (not as a soldier, at least), but I find it easier to cope with things when you`re prepared for the worst.
smile.gif

It`s very hard for Israelis, including me, to see the Hezbollah or Muslims in general as regular people who want peace (even though their religion is actually peaceful in nature), but I guess this is just something we`ll have to get over in time.

Aye, being prepared for the worst does help. Just as long as you don't overprepare.

It'll undoubtedly take time - but it's worth it. Of course, the people on the other side of the border also have trouble imagining the Israelis as a peaceful people... ah, well. As you say, it will take time.

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited May 29, 2000).]

Hmmm, I once heard that the Muslims religion actually says that everyone that doesn't believe in it must die, but I don't know if that's true...

At any rate, I indeed hope there will be peace, but in the worse case, I'll go and fight. But in the meantime I'll try to pass this damm exam in math, I did they lose the old system? it was much better! Oh well, I always get screwed, guess I don't have any choises (and with my luck, they'll bring back the old system when I'll graduate!
wink.gif
).

Hero said:
Hmmm, I once heard that the Muslims religion actually says that everyone that doesn't believe in it must die, but I don't know if that's true...

You know? I think I know of another religion that says that anyone not belonging to must die - the Jewish religion.
wink.gif

Hero said:
At any rate, I indeed hope there will be peace, but in the worse case, I'll go and fight. But in the meantime I'll try to pass this damm exam in math, I did they lose the old system? it was much better! Oh well, I always get screwed, guess I don't have any choises (and with my luck, they'll bring back the old system when I'll graduate!
wink.gif
).

I still had the old system when I was taking my finals. As a matter of fact, I got a pretty good deal: English (my specialty), Math (I would have taken it anyway, since my grades sucked), Civic studies (or however you call it) and Essay (you know, having to write one in real time).
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited May 29, 2000).]

You know? I think I know of another religion that says that anyone not belonging to must die - the Jewish religion

eek.gif
Blasthamy! Thou shell drink nothing but hot cola!
biggrin.gif

Well now, I think the best way to say this will be: "I don't understand god, I did everything the bible says, even the stuff which contredicts the other stuff" (2 in a row people! where are the quotes from?).

I still had the old system when I was taking my finals. As a matter of fact, I got a pretty good deal: English (my specialty), Math (I would have taken it anyway, since my grades sucked), Civic studies (or however you call it) and Essay (you know, having to write one in real time).

To tell you the truth, the only problam I have is the fact that I've stopped caring about math. Non of the other subjects I learn is hard (to me, that is), 'cause I have a basic understanding thingy about 'em. Let's take history (one of my fav subjects) for example: All you need to know is the facts, and you need the ability to explain them. Math, however, is nothing like that. You need to break your head to figure something out, and in the end the answer is SO simple, that you get dippresed from not thinking about it before. Now, I have no problams with non-scientific subjects, cause their easy, and I have a talent for langages. That leaves me with scientific subjects. Chimestry (high-school chimestry
tongue.gif
) is easy. Phisics is a bit harder, but atleast it's some fun (sometimes...). Math... Math, hmmm, you know...
wink.gif

Well now, I have a test in English tomarrow (well, it's already tomarrow now
wink.gif
), and if I'll write something like I just wrote (about math), I'll fail. What I'm trying to say, is that I've said enough BS about my math, and I really should get some sleep (and maybe some help
wink.gif
).

[This message has been edited by Hero (edited May 29, 2000).]

Back