Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops Model Update Pack

Well, I just tried playing with a model with a BSP tree, and I achieved partial success by including the tree.iff file, instead of copy/pasting the tree.iff.txt into the "de-compiled" model.

WCPPasPartiallyWorkingBSP.png

EDIT: If your BSP tree is still not working as expected, try increasing the radius of the collision sphere, as that is what defines the boundaries of the BSP tree collisions.

Last edited:
Well, I just tried playing with a model with a BSP tree, and I achieved partial success by including the tree.iff file, instead of copy/pasting the tree.iff.txt into the "de-compiled" model.

View attachment 8673

EDIT: If your BSP tree is still not working as expected, try increasing the radius of the collision sphere, as that is what defines the boundaries of the BSP tree collisions.

Thanks I'll give it a try

I thought secret ops had a reverse rudder option (prophecy does not iirc)
It does, but it doesn't work. As soon as a modifier key, or button two on the joystick is pressed, it instantly reverts back. Again I have never had a joystick that worked out of the box (and I've gone through too many to count) which leaves me to believe they were smoking something when they wrote the code. No other program ever had this issue. Why they didn't just use winmm.dll like their peers I have no idea.

Am I the only one who uses a joystick? Or did you all turn off rudder in the in-game settings decades ago and forgot it doesn't work? XD

It does, but it doesn't work. As soon as a modifier key, or button two on the joystick is pressed, it instantly reverts back. Again I have never had a joystick that worked out of the box (and I've gone through too many to count) which leaves me to believe they were smoking something when they wrote the code. No other program ever had this issue. Why they didn't just use winmm.dll like their peers I have no idea.

Am I the only one who uses a joystick? Or did you all turn off rudder in the in-game settings decades ago and forgot it doesn't work? XD
Still use the twist on my Logitech 3D. I use Profiler to swap the axis polarity as needed.

I use an Xbox one controller. I have to disable the rudder control in the settings but you can still roll the fighter using the button/joystick combo.

we all found our work around but it doesn't change the fact that it's broken :) It would be nice if a hook were possible.

I keep trying to use a joystick, and it never feels right. I mostly recently picked one up at the SM1 live stream, and then quickly jumped back to the keyboard. An XBox One controller isn't a bad idea though...

I tend to use the mouse these days as space combat games are rarer I don't always have the joystick plugged in.
That said for prophecy I just adapted to the reverse rudder - the early games didn't make use of it so Prophecy was one of the first games I played that did. I seem to recall I just thought about the rotation from above/ below the joystick depending on the game if that makes any sense.

OHH! these look pretty!

So got a question, and I admit I am asking for a totally selfish reason.

Will the upgrade be applicable to Prophecy?
Any estimation on completion of it? At least in so far as the WCP materials go?

Reason I ask is I'm working on a video project using materials from WCP and being able to use these High def models would be a HUUUUUUUGE Boon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well though it seems a bit like abandonware at this point, it's not. I'm working on some models in the background but the big issue I'm facing right now is that I can't get BSP trees to work with the new cap ship models. So I'm kind of at a bit of a standstill. The models would work with Prophecy, there aren't major differences in file structure between them (same engine and all), However, there are huge differences in memory management between prophecy and SO. So the WCP Unlimited version that Gr1mreaper is working on are different code branches. You do need the WCPUN dll or the game crashes. I haven't tested them with WCP, but it is on my list of things to do after I get the WCP models updated, after all it should be a pretty easy port at that point.

And to prove that I'm still quietly slogging along here. I'm also looking at revamping the cockpits. Dark Sentinel and I discussed trying this a while ago. He even went so far as to put together a cockpit tub based off my Panther model. I took the basic tub and am starting to add some panels and detail to it. I'll fully model it out and then see if I can get it to work in SO without crashing it. hehehehe. Anyway, here are a few shots of the rough clay and a layout idea. I'm not planning on moving the HUD elements around, I always assumed the HUD was projected onto the pilot's visor anyway.

Pant_CockpitNew.jpg Pant_CockpitNew_Layout.jpg

And to prove that I'm still quietly slogging along here. I'm also looking at revamping the cockpits. Dark Sentinel and I discussed trying this a while ago. He even went so far as to put together a cockpit tub based off my Panther model. I took the basic tub and am starting to add some panels and detail to it. I'll fully model it out and then see if I can get it to work in SO without crashing it. hehehehe. Anyway, here are a few shots of the rough clay and a layout idea. I'm not planning on moving the HUD elements around, I always assumed the HUD was projected onto the pilot's visor anyway.

View attachment 8824 View attachment 8825

Yes wcpunl is needed for the high poly meshes and the same dll will work for Ops and Prophecy. I would imagine high poly cockpits should be fine too. Let me know if not.

Don't worry about bsp trees yet, that part is in hand. Should leave you free to keep modelling and add the trees later. :)

So just went through the entire thread (joy to having to kill time before going into work on thanksgiving because people actually go out and buy stuff on thanksgiving. Seriously, why can't people just stay home and gorge themselves on turkey?). So got a few questions.

@DefianceIndustries
I love the work you have done. It looks Amazing!

If I may dream for a moment. Several years ago the WCNews team got the MED tool that Origin used to create the Prothecy/SO games. I think it would be awesome if a windows wrapper could be placed around it and all your updates could be added to it as well. That we fans could create new WC games with your new updated glorious features. :D Just a thought. :D

MED tool? Is there any information about this? or a link where I can grab it?

Your (and the community's) encouragement is what gave me the impetus to try it in the first place; that's a significant contribution right there. besides, I'll always need playtesters. :)
Still need play testers? I can throw up a clean version of SO/Prophecy and an OpenGL modded version and run your mods in both.

Yes, they did. However, they did it automatically - that was the way the game actually handled capships. In our case, it would have to be done as a scripted event, and for that reason, might not work perfectly. There's bound to be various issues. Still, it's an interesting idea that I will test out, because it holds promise to address a fairly substantial flaw in the game. Capship deaths are one of the things we've always been terribly jealous of, vis-a-vis Freespace.
So would it be possible to have destroyed capship hulks in-game?

I'd be careful with the Vesuvius. It was really bugged in Secret Ops, even the textures were messy, let alone the interior collisions.

You may run into an issue with the whole model and the components. Since the bridge/engines/etc are separate models, your base model should actually end up looking incomplete.
View attachment 8324 View attachment 8325
Like that. Brigeless and Enginesless. And Hangarless, apparently.

In the files there's actually meshes for turrets that aren't actually used. That would be ccatu01, and ccatu01d, the destroyed version.

Pretty sure the Vesuvius was planned to come back wayyyy back in WCP with the TCS Eisen, but never was. Kinda weird how a capship planned so far back would end up being so poorly done when it finally got to the Vision Engine.

If there is a way to bring the Vesuvius class into WCP/SO that would be amazing! I would love to toss a bit more visceral nod to Captain Eisen into my WCP video project by actually having the TCS Eisen show up on screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Adm_maverick let's see if I can answer your questions here.

MED is the original utility that was used to make missions by origin. You can find them here. It should be a help to your video project as you can script cut scenes with it.

Playtesters - Yes, I will: we're not quite to alpha status. I wanted to get the capships in the game before I released it to the wild. The alpha will likely be a manual installation so I'll have to write up instructions.

Dead hulks - yes it's possible but untested & untried. we conjecture that you could write a function to swap out the base object with a destroyed mesh, in the case of working it into WCP or SO, it would be incredibly onerous as you'd basically have to rewrite any mission with a capship in it with the new function. So that probably won't be a part of the project. However, that wouldn't preclude us from doing it in a future mod.

Vesuvius - Well, you've seen the mesh. As soon as we get the BSP tree issue fixed it'll be ready to go. You could use MED to include it into your movie.

Hey @Adm_maverick let's see if I can answer your questions here.

MED is the original utility that was used to make missions by origin. You can find them here. It should be a help to your video project as you can script cut scenes with it.

Playtesters - Yes, I will: we're not quite to alpha status. I wanted to get the capships in the game before I released it to the wild. The alpha will likely be a manual installation so I'll have to write up instructions.

Dead hulks - yes it's possible but untested & untried. we conjecture that you could write a function to swap out the base object with a destroyed mesh, in the case of working it into WCP or SO, it would be incredibly onerous as you'd basically have to rewrite any mission with a capship in it with the new function. So that probably won't be a part of the project. However, that wouldn't preclude us from doing it in a future mod.

Vesuvius - Well, you've seen the mesh. As soon as we get the BSP tree issue fixed it'll be ready to go. You could use MED to include it into your movie.

Ohhh, defiance you just made me a bit giddy

Or That's sleep deprivation kicking in.

Function aside, would it be possible to script a scene with a destroyed hulk just like a normal model?

When you're ready to get some outside testing done on, drop me a line with instructions and I'll set up some installs of SO to run your patch on.

Function aside, would it be possible to script a scene with a destroyed hulk just like a normal model?

Sure, you would just add it like any other asset in a mission. The Fralthi II at the beginning of WCP is in fact, such an asset. So really you would just need to create the destroyed hulk of your choosing and create it like any other .IFF for the game (meaning it would need a model in the MESH directory and a related SHIP file)

Back