Wing Commander Novels

The games overmortal and I are discussing (well, at least the castle series I'm referring to) aren't WC at all. they're very simple Nethack evolutions where good (in the form of the upper half of a barbarian) defeats evil (represented by a demon blowing a raspberry) and steals his spiffy new hat, the "Helm of Thor"

Nifty features include a random dungeon generator- no game is ever the same- and highly addictive (though copyright 1989) gameplay.

I know it's not considered to be so. But I reserve the right to disagree, because it really Borton to have a ship several orders of magnitude bigger than everything else there ever was.

I won't argue this though, it's just an example.

Edfilho said:
I know it's not considered to be so. But I reserve the right to disagree, because it really Borton to have a ship several orders of magnitude bigger than everything else there ever was.

If you compare the size of Victory when it tries to ram the dreadnought to the dreadnought itself... the 22km looks pretty accurate to me.

Besides, David Borton never made either the TCS Aurora or the TCS Destiny quite that large. He only put on superguns on each. :D

Well, I'm not going into this, theoretically you have some "proof", so i'd be wasting my time...
Like I said, IMVHO it's a mistake which became fact.

Well, Borton is a case in itself.

Edfilho said:
Well, I'm not going into this, theoretically you have some "proof", so i'd be wasting my time...
Like I said, IMVHO it's a mistake which became fact.

Well, Borton is a case in itself.

I'd call the ending cinematics of the WC3 losing track 'proof' that the dreadnought IS 22km long, if only because Victory looks like a wee little kiddy-car crashing into Gilbratar. Behemoth's pretty damned big too, remember - 11 Ranger-class ships could've fit into the mouth of it, and those things are 720m long. WC3 appears to be the 'big ship' game, given how they had models for 'fighter size', 'capship size' and 'Mother of All capships size'. :D

Erm... wasnt there a bit of Deus Ex Machina-ing to get rid of those things?

Dark Lords releasing unspeakable power and then biting the bullet when they sneeze and lose control of it, or something like that... wow. How... erm... someone help here? Im not quite sure what to say. :(

Edfilho said:

Ah yes, another use of the "Difference of Opinion" get-out-of-jail card. Whenever one is wrong, just use the good ol, time-tested, CIC CZ proven "I just have different opinions and think differently!!!!!" excuse.

I've seen that "difference of opinion" card played at countless other boards. Everyone pulls it out of their sleeve, plays it on the table with a big hand and get dragged out and the door locked behind them.

Edfilho said:

It's neat how you put proof in quotation marks, hoping it wouldn't make you sound like a complete idiot.

I read a comic called dark empire 2 where palpatine had dozens of clones, lando and han flew around on star destroyers, luke pretended to be evil and a very lame and munchkin uber machine of destruction... Well, it was promptly discarded for being absolute crap. wait, make that Crap.

Congrats. Everything you described didn't happen in Dark Empire 2.

Ok, so what was the name of the story in the SW EU where Luke pretends to fall for the dark side to fool the Emperor's latest clone? There was a comic with this plot based on a book.

Edfilho said:
Ok, so what was the name of the story in the SW EU where Luke pretends to fall for the dark side to fool the Emperor's latest clone? There was a comic with this plot based on a book.

That's Dark Empire. However, there's only one clone active at any given time, and it turns out that the clones are being sabotaged to keep the Emperor relatively weak, and to force him to move between bodies more often as each successive clone gives out more quickly than the last.

Dark Empire II had the Galaxy Gun show up, and Luke falling for a Force-sensitive girl on a former Jedi planet. Empire's End is where Palpatine's run out of clones and wants to borrow one of Luke's nephews so he has a 'fresh' body to work with.

You've mixed up the Clone Wars with Dark Empire II.

Now proven that his view was wrong, Edfiho's going to invoke the "Difference of Opinion" get-out-of-jail card again :(

Haesslich said:
However, there's only one clone active at any given time, and it turns out that the clones are being sabotaged to keep the Emperor relatively weak, and to force him to move between bodies more often as each successive clone gives out more quickly than the last.
Ahh, planned obsolescence is alive and well in a time long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

psych said:
Now proven that his view was wrong, Edfiho's going to invoke the "Difference of Opinion" get-out-of-jail card again
Hey, he only got the number wrong. Otherwise, what he described sounded close enough for me to know what he was talking about, generally speaking. Not all of us are rabid Star Wars fans who religiously read everything put out in the SW expanded universe.

Back