Wing Commander Novels

Well, not really. You're right, I was not talking about DE2, but DE itself. And at least the comic was reeeeeeeally lame. Everything in it felt like invented by a gathering of nerds in a break between two mega munchikin RPG sessions.

T-Wings? Big-ships-which-ate-everything-and-made-robot-weapons? Palpatine clones? Star Destroyer joy riding? A 16km Super Super SD? Solving all problems with two or three quick strokes? Damn, it made me shudder all the way.

Edfilho said:
Well, not really. You're right, I was not talking about DE2, but DE itself. And at least the comic was reeeeeeeally lame. Everything in it felt like invented by a gathering of nerds in a break between two mega munchikin RPG sessions.

T-Wings? Big-ships-which-ate-everything-and-made-robot-weapons? Palpatine clones? Star Destroyer joy riding? A 16km Super Super SD? Solving all problems with two or three quick strokes? Damn, it made me shudder all the way.

Dark Empire had the Eclipse-class Star Destroyer, Lando getting his hands on a Star Destroyer, World Devastators and TIE-D's, and E-Wings (not T-wings). You can thank Tom Veitch for that story, mind you, if 'thank' is what you want to do.

Dark Empire II had a BIGGER weapon (Galaxy Gun), though it used Artoo to kill that weapon, but only after several more worlds had been blown to hell.

Edfilho said:

Yeah, too bad it won a bunch of awards and everyone I've ever talked to disagrees with you with DE. Also, first edition issues came with 3 or 4 pages of backstory that were absolutely beautiful.

Edfilho said:

Yeah, it was good enough to make me shudder too! :)

DE is munchkin fanboy wetdream stuff. I'm sure all the 15 yearolders you talked with loved it.

I'd take KotOR plot over it anyday. Hell, I'd take any Bioware/Black Isle RPG plot over it any minute.

My favorite Star Wars graphic novel is certainly Fallout 2.

(And a fork could certainl beat Bohr's atomic model in a fight.)

I enjoyed Dark Empire. Did I like it as much as other stories that came out later? No.

I thought that the Zahn and Stackpole novels were MUCH better. But then I don't like the Star Wars stories about the Force and the people it uses. I prefer stories about people, some of whom use the Force. DE was too much of the former, but at least it wasn't as bad as the Anderson stories and their ilk.

*shudders*

I just bought and started playing Knigths of the Old Republic, and you can feel the greatness of it from the start.

Medron Pryde said:
I enjoyed Dark Empire. Did I like it as much as other stories that came out later? No. I thought that the Zahn and Stackpole novels were MUCH better. But then I don't like the Star Wars stories about the Force and the people it uses.

The first DE was fantastic. Something of a hybrid between Star Wars and Heavy Metal. Also, the look of Nar Shaddaa remains probably the the best non-canon enviroment thus far. DE2 was a rush job of a story that had some great ideas (Luke taking on a former Dark Jedi apprentice as his own) and some crappy ones (almost everything else).

I don't like Stackpole's writing, not even in the Tales Of The New Republic novella that he wrote with Zahn. It just plain lacks in characterization.

Zahn, well, the man just writes well but I'm sure he's tired of doing so much in George's little universe.

Back