Wing Commander movie coming to terrestrial UK TV

Originally posted by Elric
You're exactly right but you totally missed the point didn't you? Hamill's and Prinze's acting in SW/WC aren't that dissimilar -> so what's the difference? Hamill wasn't typecast at the time was he? He was an unknown. Prinze's name, whatever his ability now or in the future, brings with it *teen flick idol*.
Which, in my view, is all the more reason to offer him more diverse roles.

I really don't see your point. Or rather, I do see it, but I don't agree with it. My problem with Prinze was his performance, which wasn't as good as it could have been. Your problem with Prinze, on the other hand, is not so much his performance as the fact that he's starred in a lot of teen flicks. Well, I got news for ya - Prinze's reputation as a "teen flick idol" had nothing to do with the WC Movie's lack of popularity. The script took care of that.

Well lets be fair now, the script AND Prinzes acting, the cut scenes, the alienation of fans, the use the force Chris stuff and the Kilrathi shouting, "thats not the kilrathi fleet!" Ok so I guess the pulsar is supposed to be invisible to the naked eye and we just had a special effect thrown in to please the audiences but TBH I think it just confused them.

That and I they ran away completley from Wing Commanders established and successful visual styles.

Wow maybe I do hate the movie :p Nah but it had its flaws alright.

It's a pity Roberts and co don't get a second chance. I'm sure they would do much better given the opportunity (and funds!). Nevertheless, I think they did okay with what they had.

Oh yeah, there's a lot of other things which badly affected the movie... but naming them would spoil the WC3 misquote in my post :).

You'll have to point it out for me (I think I know which one it is, but I can't be sure). Kinda miss your WC2 quotes. :)

Originally posted by Quarto
I really don't see your point. Or rather, I do see it, but I don't agree with it. My problem with Prinze was his performance, which wasn't as good as it could have been. Your problem with Prinze, on the other hand, is not so much his performance as the fact that he's starred in a lot of teen flicks. Well, I got news for ya - Prinze's reputation as a "teen flick idol" had nothing to do with the WC Movie's lack of popularity. The script took care of that.
My point was that the casting of sterotyped teen flick actors was a mistake. I don't actually have a problem with Prinze at all. My problem was with the selection of stereotyped "teenie flick" actors for a non-teenie sci-fi movie, unless that was the intent which I doubt seriously. Star Wars didn't have that teenie feel to it even using Hamill, a teen himself at the time.

I never mentioned Prinze's performance because that is just too subjective, Bandit LOAF liked his acting as an example. And I agree with you on both counts, I thought his acting in WC was lackluster and I thought the plot wasn't that good either. Lillard on the other hand was very irritating but his acting/personality wears on me very quickly.

Originally posted by Wedge009
It's a pity Roberts and co don't get a second chance. I'm sure they would do much better given the opportunity (and funds!). Nevertheless, I think they did okay with what they had.

If the tv show does well, you know very well that there will be another movie opportunity.

My point was that the casting of sterotyped teen flick actors was a mistake. I don't actually have a problem with Prinze at all. My problem was with the selection of stereotyped "teenie flick" actors for a non-teenie sci-fi movie, unless that was the intent which I doubt seriously. Star Wars didn't have that teenie feel to it even using Hamill, a teen himself at the time.
But... that's what I want to know - why? Why is it so wrong, according to you, to take someone sterotyped as a "teen flick" actor for a movie in a different genre? Is this some kind of sin? Will it negatively affect the movie, and if so, how? Explain yourself.

Wedge: 'Tis the "I got news for ya" bit - from Blair & Maniac's conversation about how Tolwyn always had it in for Maniac :).

I have to agree with Quarto, wouldn't have teen flick stars draw in additional fans (albeit screaming school girls) rather than putting them off seeing as Prinze isn't a BAD actor. As for Lillilard he mainly did the part well, just a few times I wasn't sure but that could have had more to do with script.

And I'm certainly not going to complain about the casting of Saffron Burrows.

Star Wars didn't have that teenie feel to it even using Hamill, a teen himself at the time.
Hooray! Even by the time I'm 26 I can call myself a teen. Everyone's been telling me I'm no longer a 'teenager' and it's really scaring me! :eek:

Originally posted by Meson
If the TV show does well, you know very well that there will be another movie opportunity.
That's quite a big if. Still, there's always hope.

'Tis the "I got news for ya" bit - from Blair & Maniac's conversation about how Tolwyn always had it in for Maniac :).
I knew that. Thanks.

Originally posted by Pedro
And I'm certainly not going to complain about the casting of Saffron Burrows.
Heh, heh. :) I think I'm a bit lucky - I hadn't seen Prinze, Lillard, or Burrows in other movies before WC. At least I don't think I have.

While the focus is on Prinze and Lillard, does having them together in the Scooby movie automatically make it bad? (Of course, it depends on how much one likes Scooby Doo in the first place...)

While the focus is on Prinze and Lillard, does having them together in the Scooby movie automatically make it bad? (Of course, it depends on how much one likes Scooby Doo in the first place...)
Bizarre piece of trivia - two or three scenes of the Scooby Doo movie were shot at my uni in Australia (Bond University on the Gold Coast). Their equipment standing around all over the place, together with their constant use of one of the Humanities building's two elevators, made them a nuisance.

I take it you don't like Scooby Doo, then, Q? Of course, no one should care much for Humanities, anyway. {kidding} ;)

I forget, are you back in Poland now?

Eh, I recall watching Scooby Doo when I was a kid, but I've outgrown it a long time ago:).

Yeah, I'm back in Poland now, for a while at least. If everything goes well, I'll be going back to Aus in September to start my Master's. Always have preferred warmer climates ;).

Me too, but I don't think a movie production would be that much of a disturbance. No worse than building construction, and it'll probably be over faster too (and they'd presumably have more entertaining people).

So you've graduated now? Congrats! Only just started third year, myself. And after a visit to 'mother' England in the summer holidays, I think I'd prefer warmer climates too. :) Although the freezing cold starts to 25-30 degrees autumn days is not too pleasant.

Apologies for going way off topic.

their constant use of one of the Humanities building's two elevators, made them a nuisance.

What? Too lazy/unfit to take the stairs? :)

As for Prinze and Lillard, I tend to blame a movie's inadequacies on the director/writers and not so much on the actor. I mean what can you do if the script sucks?

While the focus is on Prinze and Lillard, does having them together in the Scooby movie automatically make it bad?
No, but having them and Sarah Michelle Gellar certainly lowers the standard by a great deal... :)
Eh, I recall watching Scooby Doo when I was a kid, but I've outgrown it a long time ago.
Good times... :D I loved Hanna-Barbera shows as a kid. Scooby Doo always came after another all time favourite: Hong Kong Phooey... :)

Will it negatively affect the movie, and if so, how? Explain yourself.
IT'S RISKY! You should know that typecast actors very often have difficulty breaking into new genres. There must be hundreds of actors that could never break out of their stereotypes and so could not find work. Why do you think this is? The TV/Movie studios maybe? Do you think they had a reason? Look at the latest Jim Carrey flick, The Majestic. Someone wrote that the reason the movie didn't do very well, although he/she thought it was very good, was that people didn't want to see Carrey in a serious role[\i]. Translation: his stereotype may have negatively affected the success of the movie.

Okay, maybe this reviewer was wrong. What if the WC Movie was made today and it starred, lets say Jason Biggs (Amer. Pie) as Blair and Mike Myers (Austin Powers) as Maniac? Not too appealing huh? Okay this is an extreme example but are they talented & versatile actors? Maybe, but most of the movies I've seen them in have been pretty much the same. There's nothing wrong with an actor crossing a genre, for example, I think Robin Williams is one hell of an actor. But the movie and studio assume a huge risk hoping that people will want to see said actor in a role that they are unaccustomed to[\i][\b]. Now, with a great performance by the actor or a great script, preferably both, I think these stereotypes can be overcome.

Pedro: As for using Prinze's stereotype to draw a bunch of screaming teenage fans...well it didn't did it? Maybe the casting department overestimated his appeal.

Wedge009: So Hamill was 20ish for SW, Prinze was 23 for WC. Onscreen-teenager/Actor-who-plays-teens, Potato/Pot-ah-to. "While the focus is on Prinze and Lillard, does having them together in the Scooby movie automatically make it bad?" Not necessarily, though I'm not that interested in seeing it, but I wonder who's the target audience?

So basically, you're telling us that you judge a movie's quality based on what you assume the casting directors think is its target audience.

That's quite possibly the most brilliant rating system I've ever heard of...NOT!

Back