Wing Commander Mod for Galactic Civilisations 2?

ColonelFireball said:
@LT Death: Sorry, I don't get you, what's the thing with pivan? I thought he asked, I answered and that's all about it, or is there more?

That's number 5... It's privfan, *not* privan.:p

ColonelFireball said:
@LT Death: Sorry, I don't get you, what's the thing with pivan? I thought he asked, I answered and that's all about it, or is there more?
You have continually spelled his name wrong, that has nothing to do with what you mentioned.

ColonelFireball said:
I am not upset Chris, That was the answer why I was talking about a release in March and today things are different. SO please try to see I am not upset at all.
Saddthat you don't like to offer me some Webspace. :(

We host files for every single decent Wing Commander project around. We would have to go over it first though, and it's much easier to do that if you have your own simple space first. And it's kind of weird if the difference between you sharing your project with other fans depends on ChrisReid donating resources to you. Almost every project starts with their own workspace.

ColonelFireball said:
If you are angry or tired of something I wrote, then let us discuss it by e-mail or PM

Nobody should send me PMs to discuss anything.

Dyret said:
That's number 5... It's privfan, *not* privan.:p

Yeah, I wouldn't make a big deal out of a typo or anything, but this is some sort of consistent comprehension/communication barrier that's symptomatic of what I've been talking in this thread about lately.

I remember to come back to check on this thread for any updates on the mod and a big discussion about mis-typing my username
L O L

This was such a great project. It's not as hard as it could be, since there are already outstanding WC2 models around, just waiting to be imported (and some of them were). There rest should be relatively easy, since Dark Avatar, the expansion pack which came out last month, provides a very simple way to thoroughly customize races, even your opponents'.

and Galactic Civ II is designed specifically to allow for anyone to drop a properly formatted .X file into the ships directory and allow it to be used in play.

I have been meaning to buy a copy of GalCiv II so I can play around with it.. but in principle it should be something that almost anyone with GalCivII and a good foundation in 3d modelling should be able to achieve.

I'd like for someone to resurrect this mod with new life. As it was said before Dark Avatar will open more possibilities for this.

I'd do it, but I don't have the 3D models (which are around, and being used by the Flash wargame project). I don't know how to import them to GalCiv2, but I guess I can learn. Shouldn't be exceedingly hard...

I decided to order the game off of amazon so I might just have to make a go at modding this.

normally I don't like linking to other people's files but a forum user at the galactic civ forum made a modding tutorial for GCII and its worth linking to

http://www.galciv2.com/mods/gc2modsdoc.htm#Foreword

it should be pretty good at showing how easy of a game (quite on purpose) Galciv is to mod.

I decided to order the game off of amazon so I might just have to make a go at modding this.

normally I don't like linking to other people's files but a forum user at the galactic civ forum made a modding tutorial for GCII and its worth linking to

http://www.galciv2.com/mods/gc2modsdoc.htm#Foreword

it should be pretty good at showing how easy of a game (quite on purpose) Galciv is to mod.
I haven't found any info on importing ship models there. That's the hard part. Customizing a race can be done from within the game and without having to edit any files.

GalCiv2

Yes, I was considering the creation of a GalCiv2 WC mod myself. I started on it last week, brain stormed a few ideas and then quit. What can I say - I like to play.

Anyhow I'm going to list a few of my Ideas to make the game-play more compatible to the WC universe. Feel free to steal them.

Speed
Make a firm separation between fighters (tiny/small) and cap ships. Beyond changing their name in the XML files, I also changed their base speed. Cap ships have a base movement of 0-3, and fighter hulls have a base movement of 4-8. I also removed all engine components (the (new)tech tree now only gives a flat bonus).

I preformed similar diffractions in the areas of range/cost/space. Lastly I also added +5 speed bonuses to basic star base defense to act as jump gates.

Weapons.
Capitol ships will have the space for thick armor/phase shielding to protect them from most mass driver / laser attacks. However no capitol-class defense exists against missile weapons. Torpedoes in general are expensive, large and pack quite punch.

Economics
I thought it would be cool to make the economy based more n trade, and industry more on mining (think privateer). Replace tax bonuses from trade centers with trade bonuses. Replace factory MP with overpowered mining base bonuses. I guess multiplying the quantity of trade routes would be necessary also.

Tech
Yeah, this will need to be re-written.

BTW where is your download

Hello i'm from Germany and i will mod the Game Space Empire V. And i want to ask, if you con help me to make the models for it?

Hello!

Hi!

Well, if you are still interested in creating Models for the Modd or helping modding the game in another way, let me know by PM

I didn't offer a download because the Modd didn't pass the point where the Models should take part of the game.

The awsome Models you see in the Pictures are created by Marc. But unfortunatly he got busy with other things. But I hope he will return. Doesn't matter if he does becuase of my Modd or another project, because he creates awsome looking Wing Commander Ship Models ind the stike of the Wing Commander 2 Game!

Anyway, as i mentioned, if some people are still interested in continueing with my Wing Commander Modd for Gal Civ 2, let me know by PM! :)

so this thing appears to be pretty dead.

i would absolutely love to help with this mod, but i have zero useful knowledge, and not a whole lot of time to devote.

but if any of the people who worked on that mod (which looked awesome) are interested in finishing it, could you please let me know? i'm actually willing to put money into it, if it would help. it wouldn't be a whopping sum, but maybe enough to get this thing done and made available?

please conact me, cousarmy0001@yahoo.com

The only guy from this thread that's still around (in fact, I think he was the only other person working on this project) is Marc. He supplied the models in the battle scene and if I'm reading the post correctly imported them into the game himself.

I actually have the models he used (they aren't the same as the original WCII ones which were released to the community some time ago) but you should get in touch with him directly if you're interested (and to see whether he's interested as well - given how well this panned out, I would probably have been reluctant to give it another go).

I've noticed that he's the only one still around, but I was quite tired last night, and didn't notice the "contact by ___" option right underneath where it said "no other contact information" on his profile page. I feel quite silly for throwing this all up on the list now...

Back