Wing Commander Mod for Galactic Civilisations 2?

I think for a WC Mod it would be preferable to have a basic hull that you can place your equipment on and no extras like it is in GalCiv.
If you have all these extra stuff like additional wings and so it would be a little bit to costumiesed to be WC.
Having the basic hull and then add guns/turrets, shields, armor and other equipment to it is what I would prefere to see.
I mean while it would look funny to have a Coventry/Sheffield destroyer with wings or claws it wouldn't look right IMO

Monsterfurby said:
Hey! I used to work on a WC-Mod for GalCiv 1 (never got past "personal use" though) - so that's really cool!
I've got some GalCiv 2 modding experience, so if you need any help, let me know.

Two things about the screenshots: I think you should make the logo backgrounds transparent so they don't have that white/orange "box" around them.
But how did you import that Hornet-model into the game? I never managed to do that...

By the way, concerning models consisting of parts: adding hardpoints would be sufficient as of now, I think. Have you seen the ship building mod which allows you to build a ship without using a standard-hull? Simply make the full imported models into ship parts, so players can rescale them and use them as they wish and perhaps add parts here and there.

Hello!

Well, the Bachgrounds are there because the whole "symbol" is meant as a flag.
Maybe the "orange" (someone told me it's not a pure orange) is not the right color. But the blue-white combination of the terran-start is the most common.

Also my skills in "drawing and painting" is very limited. On the Computer and with penic/bruch and paper. :(
I use programm as photoshop or paintshop to view the pictures, confert them, ot to use "filters" on them and less for drawing. So I have to figure out how to make the background "transparent".

Beside this I am very happy that somone FINALLY has a real interest in helping.

So what I need Is a person that is able to create 3dModels of Wing Commander ships. "Timeline":Wing Commander 1 and 2.

I also need working textures. The raw-file of the hornet was "delivered" with a texture file, put it doesn't work. :(

So first you could explain me the thing with the "Hardpoints" and your idea of shipimporting, I didn't unterstand it. :( (dump mee).

Please write me am PM, so we have some peace wheen we work out some solutions for the modd.

So thank you and I am looking forward to you messages and solutions! :)

Edit:
@ gevatter Lars: If we take the Hornet as example: The Guns must be removed anyways. Then The Laserdesign of the Galciv2 Lasers must/should also be redesigned. Maybe in 2 Version one for Fighters and one for CpaShips as "Turrets". So Models of Cpaships must be designed wthithou turrets. Soem the "spots" for the turret (some of them) can be used for "hardpoints" that you can place the turrets.

About you Idea to building Ships: Would be funny to have a Hornet with Wing of the Raptor, bud I would conider this a "bonus goal". It's already a succsess if we mange to have working Wing Commander Ships in GalCiv2 :)

I had some problems by converting and including the Models to the game.
But was succsessfull :D
If you know how everything works is EASY.
It seems not much, but it was hell of a work.

HornetWorking1.jpg

HornetWorking2.jpg

Hope there are people who like to help me creating 3d models and textures.

Credits to Howard Day and "Tolwyn" for the 3Model and the Textures!

This is some really cool work. I've been playing the game and so far I am enjoying it. I look forward to whatever you get done, and I hope you can get some modellers to help you out with it.

By the way, have to chosen a specific game-era to use?

Lt.Death100 said:
I believe he's chosen WC1 and 2 for the style and I think he'll also stick to that for the era.

Yes you are right, It will stick in the time of Wing Commander 1 and 2. It's a Combination. And there will be NO Stealth-Fighters. It's because they would not make sense for the game.
It will be difficult enough to figure out how do integrate working carriers, because in the original game there is no "carrier-class ship". :(
At the moment there are a few peoples helping, but how things will continue depends on: What CAN we do an what NOT?
ANd also if the people like to help or not. And if they have time, and so on,...
Give us some time, then I can post some results. ;)

GalCiv2 is a good game, reminds me of the goold old days of MOO and MOO2. A WC mod for it will be really cool

Raptor_Pilot said:
That hornet looks sweet!

Well, Credits to Howard Day and "Tolwyn". ;)

Actually I don't know if I will use exactly this Model of the Hornet.
I found someone who supports me with 3dModels and Textures and the modd will look more like Wing Commander 2.

If the work makes some more progress I will show you some more results and also introduce my team. But as the "Project" is still at it's beginning it is to early to tell you more. :)

My team, new pic, also need help!

Hi!

I think It's time to introduce my team. Well, It is not big and only has 2 members.

1. Marc
http://www.crius.net/zone/member.php?u=3294
2. Myself

There are also 2 Guys who are supporting me with Ideas, Suggestions and Tips for Modding.

Those 2 Guys are:

1. Gevatter Lars
http://www.crius.net/zone/member.php?u=1363
2 Monsterfurby
http://www.crius.net/zone/member.php?u=4124

I think you all know Marc, because he is known for his Armada of Wing Commander Ships designed in the Style of Wing Commander 2.
Wehn I told him about my Modd and asked hom if he liked to join he acceptedt right away, so thanks again, Marc! :)

He also bought Galactic Civilizations 2 and send me some nice picture that he took:
Snap02.jpg

Well, the only thing is that we need help to integrate the so called "Hardpoints" in ordert ah the user still can use the "Shipbuilder"-feature.
Marc is using AC3D and if you know that programm and you have an Idea please let us know!

That shot actually looks really good. Just make sure you actually get around to releasing something for everyone to try out and play. :)

ChrisReid said:
That shot actually looks really good. Just make sure you actually get around to releasing something for everyone to try out and play. :)

I will do I will do, but first we need help to resolve that "Hardpoint -problem" and then
I'd like to wait till Patzch 1.2 is release, because Stardock has promised that with Patch 1.2 the "Moddfolder" will work. So it SHOULD be easier to use the modd.

Marc's stuff looks awesome. I hope you get him to do every single model for your project, because that'd look absolutely great.

Nice picture. A little thing that I would like to ask is if I am not mistaken GalCiv is capable of using bump or normal maps and specmaps. Do you plan on using any of these because the ships look very shine.
If not its not that importend it looks nice at it is...the other stuff would be just a little addition when their is some time for it.

Good to hear that you like it.
Marc is doing a great job, that's why I asked him. :)

Well, if we can manage to resolve the "Hardpoint problem" a possible release would be very soon...
So everyone is welcome to help. .)

Dear Chris Reid, as I wrote you In a mail that it would if the discuss what is usefull to post for the newsboard.
And you continue posting without me feedback.

Your news helps to confuse any interest fan about the release.
Relse will not be before patch 1.2 IF it contains the working moddingfolders
AND
if we resolve some technical "obstacles"

So please delete following sentences of the news:

"Fireball is also currently awaiting the 1.2 patch, which should streamline the modification process significantly. A playable release of the game should be available after the new version makes it out."

And next time ASK me PLEASE. It doesn't help to confuse the fans.

question : will this mod be working with a demo/sharewareversion of the game or do we need to buy the complete game just to play this mod?
(sorry about posting on the wrong thread before)

Confed said:
question : will this mod be working with a demo/sharewareversion of the game or do we need to buy the complete game just to play this mod?
(sorry about posting on the wrong thread before)

Simple answer: I don't know, because I am working with the full version.

Back