Wing Commander Games and Windows XP - A Summary

Will a 1.2 Ghz Celeron 256 MB laptop be able to run priv with this 'dynamic core' feature that DOSBox 0.62 will have? Well, playably, that is?

I can't tell for sure, but someone with a 700Mhz reported that he was able to really play it with a one month old cvs version. So the chances are good, that it might run for you at perfect speed in 0.62 ;)

Cvs

The link to the newest CVS version seems to be down...

Also, dynamic core doesnt seem to work for me. dosbox just turns off on me once I load up privateer...

I hope this belongs in here, but I have a huge problem with WC1 KS. I'm running it under XP and everthings works fine. After installing the secret missions I had to switch in win95 kombatibility mode - the game works fine but neither the USB nor the analog joystick can be used. If a joystick ist pluged in, the cursor just moves in one corner and the game is unplayable. :(
Is there a way to calibrate the Joystick, or any joystick patch for KS?

visiting in-dignitary

How do I install WC IV if I have XP? I have the KS patch, but when I try to run the install program, I get screen garbage, and never have a chance to install it onto my hard drive.

can't get the KS secret missions to run under win2k/directx9/sp4.

hardware; athlonXP2200, 1024mb ram, radeon 9500, terratec sixpack soundcard.

any ideas?

the installation worked fine...

from the KS menu you get to chose if you want to play wing commander, or secret mission, you click either, then the game comes up, the intro runs, i press a key and it should go to the "start secret missions" dialog, which acts like it is being clicked, the screen colors get corrupted and i get kicked back to windows without any error at all.

as posted, i reinstalled directx 9.0c, but this did not help.

Another tip for WC3:KS... since the game crashes 90% of the time when a cutscene between areas is loaded (going up the elevator)... even WHEN you have normal priority set. Hit alt P (Might be ctrl p, can't remember right now)... and it effectively cuts those scenes out, also making it a lot quicker to get around on the ship and so far, i've only had the game crash on me once and i've been playing for 6 hours. :) And since the cutscene is always the same your not missing anything.

FYI As per the XP summary above the following worked for me when playing The Kilrathi Saga on XP:

-WC3 KS - Runs fine - IMPORTANT: I need to alt-tab out of the intro movies and set the game to NORMAL priority in the task manager, otherwise it freezes. Some people still have other problems, but it works really well for me this way.

OK I have just loaded WC Prophecy. In flight game is smooth and clean. The FMV movie sequences run as though on fast forward!!

Machine I'm using is a Windows XP Home pentium 4 400gig harddrive with 1064 meg DDR RAM and amd ATI radeon 256 Meg PCI Express.

So HOW do I slow down the FMVs exactly.

Moose said:
Hit alt P (Might be ctrl p, can't remember right now)... and it effectively cuts those scenes out

Hrm. Neither CTRL-P nor ALT-P cut the scenes between screens for me. Is it that way for all KS versions?

I managed to get WC4s install running on dosbox, but the mouse pointer moves jumpily, and i cant test the video without the game crashing. If i try to use the install thing in c:\wc4, it crashes as well. Any ideas?

Moose, there is a simple option in the options screen that turns off the transition scenes. It's quite easy to select it.

WC4 locks up on install (XP)

Hi everyone,

I'm pulling my hair out on this one....I just bought WC4 off eBay and I'm trying to install it on my PC, my specs are:

P4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB
1.5GB of PC 2700 DDR Ram
128 MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
on Win XP SP2

I go to the command prompt and type WC4 -install
The program begins its installation but locks up on the Machine speed test.

I've also run this install program from windows via the combatibility wizard - same results.

Is there anyway to bypass the benchmarks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Unique problems w/ WC3 + 4

I am not sure my previous post went through, so forgive me if this is a duplicate.

I am trying to run WC 3 and 4 on WinXP using the Win95 patch and in compatibility mode. The movies and cut scenes work perfectly, as does the sound. If that isn't oddly fortunate enough, it is balanced out by problems in the cockpit. When flying, my controls will randomly lock up for 5-10 seconds at a time, remaining frozen in their last actions, and of course, I get blown to bits while this happens. If I am not detonated, the controls return, but eventually, freeze again. Meanwhile, the rest of the game and sound works fine and continues onward.

I'm playing on a 2.66 Ghz with 512 MB of DRAM and a NIVIDIA GeForce4 448 Go video card. Thanks so much.

Back