Wing Commander Continuation Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazan

Swabbie
Banned
Here's a quote from an email I just sent Origin, and CC'ed to WCIC's Ben Lesnick

Note: this is being CC'ed to wcnews.com for press reasons, please read the entire email

Ok, as you can see from my signature on this email I'm no standard end user. I understand what it is the put effort into games, and see them fail, and to see them succeed. I
like many other people still love the Wing Commander universe. It's possibilities are endless. I want to know, on the record and off the record, why it no more Wing
Commander games are in order. You have litterally hundreds of thousands of people all wondering this same question. If I was a good enough programmer I would
personally write a freeware engine for future Wing Commander games and take responsibility myself to save this greatest of all gaming series from the neglect it is
suffereing from. I still have the vast wing commander universe map on my wall and my copies of all ten games [sadly I can only play WCP and WSCO now because of my
USB joystick, PCI soundcard, etc].

If all you did was released all the games in full DX8 accelerated video the profits would be enourmous, I would pay $40 a game for updates version so of Wing
Commander 1, Wing Commander II, Wing Commander III, Wing Commander IV, Wing Commander Prophecy, Wing Commander Privateer & Righteous Fire, and
Wing Commander Academy Right there is $280. I'm sure im not alone, I will start a petition if I have to to prove this point. If on top of updating all those you add multiplayer
cooperative/dogfight, etc to all those they will sell even better than they did origionally.

You are a great gaming company, please do not let your public down. We have been holding on faithful watch for 5 years now. Please I beg of you. Do not let this series
die. If you need ideas for further games there are thousands of us that will willingly offer you ideas.

--
Derek "Kazan" Meek
-----------
General Coordinator and Effects Nerd for FreeSpace 2: The Babylon Project
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/babylon/
-----------
Founder Alliance Productions
Project Leader of Unholy Alliance
http://alliance.sourceforge.org
-----------
UT: ZEB Clan Web Coordinator

Sign the Petition you furballs! :D

Hey, I'd gladly sign, but, alas, I doubt any petition will convince Origin or EA to release WC games. Bummer, huh?

If we get a signature for every copy of each WC game sold they will be fools to ignore us.. do the math of the example situation i set up

my 2 cents

When i heard the WC series had "stopped" it was one of those moments where you wrinkle up your nose and go "naaa..."

I don't care where Chris Roberts went to, or whoever did think of the origional idea - i'm sure he's not irreplaceable.

I'll sign on...and i'll turn my 3D modelling skills to helping as well if i need to.

erm sorry to be a party crasher but OSI arent the problem
besides OSI practically dont exist anymore, and most of the WC staff have left, so just who would make it?
plus EA dont want WC they want UO so until UO makes a loss WC is one

Wow... that was nice and arrogant...

Actually, the whole point of this board is to discuss. So unless you've got an admin letting you tell people where they can and cannot post, (which I'm rather sure I would have heard about) you really can't stop anyone from posting in this topic.

TC

Sign me up! It may be a desperate measure, but I'll still do it if it brings us a new WC game! :D (although it is AMAZINGLY non-likely :()

Wow, look at me, I'm posting and not signing, must be sounding.

[Edited by Frosty on 05-21-2001 at 19:30]

Hey! Be nice! :) I'm pretty sure he's simply listing our chatzone names on a huge CIC supporters list or something...

Originally posted by Frosty
I'd sign, but I'm not mentally retarded enough to figure out how.
Jeezus Frosty, do you *try* to make all of your posts the start of a flame war or are you simply unable to post without coming off as an arrogant ass?

Kazan, you do realize that most (if not all) of the WC games have been re-re-re-released in various formats and/or as part of various bundled packages, right? You probably also know that part(s) of Kilrathi Saga were released as part of a gaming mag's CD. So, while you and other diehard fans might be willing to shell out $40 to pay for games that are very old by software standards I would wager that the majority of the gaming public would not. And why would anyone want to pay a "new game" price for a game that they already own only with better graphics?

I think that a petition seeking the continuation of the series would have a better chance (although still small) of succeeding than one asking EA to rehash old games that would have limited appeal to the rest of the gaming public.

I would MUCH rather have a end to the bug saga than ANY re-release of the older games. I just need an ending people... that way I can get on with my life...

I'd prefer any new game (WC6, Privateer, or an MMP) over yet another re-release that five people would buy (that's 5 times $40. Do the math!). They all run pretty well on modern systems anyway.

Also, please don't try to get a signature for every Wing Commander game sold. I don't think the database could handle 2 million members and posts.

Hey, it's a petition that makes Jumper look like a professional businessman!

Firstoff, you can't tell people how to use the board -- it's a public discussion board, and acting like you have some control over whether or not people publically discuss things thare is *sure* to help your cause.

Secondoff, being the "project leader" of a sourceforge project does not make you special -- and certainly doesn't mean you're "no standard end user". There are something like 20,000 Sourceforge projects, and the qualifications for starting one involves walking and chewing gum at the same time. You're not impressing anybody, and you're coming off egotistical. Being a stupid Lunix guy doesn't mean you have any right to force a giant company to change their policy.

Thirdoff, you've sent this to marketing@origin.ea.com. Origin has no choice over what games they produce. If you've deluded yourself into thinking this matters, send it to EA. If you want anyone to even start to care, send it as snail mail to EA -- *not* an e-mail.

Fourthoff, when you're sending a document that you think is this damn important, SPELLCHECK IT.

As a pretend software developer, you surely understand the difficulty in updating old games when the original development team is not available -- and the fact that, as Kilrathi Saga proved to their marketing department, nobody will justify the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back