Wing Commander 4 rated as the 29th worst game ever

I like bruce, He was in The Army of The Dead, i think thats what it was called. But anyways anybody with a Shotgun/Chainsaw for a hand is cool in my book.

It's Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.

And yeah I agree he isn't a very good author at all, but I still enjoy his books.

for those that dont know, The Age is one of the major newspapers here in melbourne. I surely hope that article is restricted only to the website but it's still unfortunate to know that that guy got paid to put together that rubbish.

Well, the first 15-ish games he listead ARE pretty bad (those before phantasmagoria). I personally dislike the 11th hour/7th guest type games, but I acknowledge their importance at the time.

He probably shouldn't have done a 50 game list. 15 or 20 would have been a safer bet.

I would not say Clockwork orange was a b-movie, and Star-wars, back to the future.. come on.

You people are still confusing two unrelated terms.

A "B Movie" is something that doesn't exist in the original sense. They were originally the less interesting half of a double feature, back when double features existed.

A "B Actor" is an actor who is very recognizable but who doesn't open a movie. Having Tom Cruise in your movie guarantees you X millions of dollars, regardless of what the movie is about. He is an "A List" actor -- a studio can hire him just because of his name to ensure that a movie will make money. Someone like Mark Hamill is a "B List" actor (or lower)... everyone knows Mark Hamill, but simply putting him in your movie doesn't guarantee that it'll make any money.

(Of course, if there were such a system for video games, the irony would be that the Wing Commander actors *were* the 'A List' of FMV games. People bought Wing Commander III and IV regardless of their content because they recognized the actors...)

I'm surprised more people weren't commenting to defend WC4.. I did.. I guess I played into their ploy for attention, but it's better than him printing that list and no one even arguing against his choice of WC4.

A "B Actor" is an actor who is very recognizable but who doesn't open a movie. Having Tom Cruise in your movie guarantees you X millions of dollars, regardless of what the movie is about. He is an "A List" actor -- a studio can hire him just because of his name to ensure that a movie will make money.

And the funny thing is that Tom Cruise is a really bad actor - much worse than WC3/4 cast :p

Well, regardless of the artistic merits of Tom Cruise, as it was pointed out before, lots of "B Actors" are actually quite good.

your question is irrelevant. I don't have a Noble Prize but i can judge literature. And TOm Cruise isn't a good because actor he always plays the same guy, thrown in to the diffrent situations. And it's not about me not liking him. I don't like Leonardo di Caprio, but after "Catch me if you can" i had to admit that he is really good actor, and none of Cruise's films made me say it.

I like bruce, He was in The Army of The Dead, i think thats what it was called. But anyways anybody with a Shotgun/Chainsaw for a hand is cool in my book.

Speaking of which, I have a shotgun and a chainsaw signed by him. I've always wondered what the signed parts (wood forend and bar/chain) would go for on Ebay. For obvious reasons I couldn't sell a complete firearm, and an entire chainsaw would be too heavy, but I may consider listing the parts when the time is right, like if Evil Dead 4 is ever made.

I don't have a Noble Prize but i can judge literature.

To quote someone better than you or I "Everyone has the right to an informed opinion." Neither one of us has the capacity to "judge" "literature"; sure, we can talk about it but judging it really is not in your capacity.

And TOm Cruise isn't a good because actor he always plays the same guy, thrown in to the diffrent situations.

So, because he plays an "everyman" really well, makes him a bad actor? I think you're just part of a bad audience is all. Nonsense like this is what makes the internet a dangerous place. Before you know it - droves of your likeness are lighting torches and carrying pitchforks to drive your opinion up Wikipedia Hill in some flaccid attempt to make your opinion factual.

and none of Cruise's films made me say it.

If you can watch Born On The Fourth Of July and not be moved by it, you need to be removed from humanity immedeately.

Watch it kids. Play nice, or I'll turn this forum around and no one will get to go to Disneyland.

This list isn't too entertaining... just a long list of games with comments lacking wit about why the writer hated it. After every entry, I was left asking "Why was it (shoddy/dodgy/etc)?"

Ultimately, not well-done in terms of convincing the reader of his point. Just a long list of bashes against games randomly pulled from his hindquarters.

for those that dont know, The Age is one of the major newspapers here in melbourne. I surely hope that article is restricted only to the website but it's still unfortunate to know that that guy got paid to put together that rubbish.

I'm not sure he did. This is from blogs.theage.au

Mark Hamill and Malcolm Macdowell B-grade stars? Uh, Macdowell is one of the more respected actors. Mark Hamill is back in the spotlight since Wing Commander 3. WC4 is a great game. It felt like a short game to me.

Well, as it was said none of WC actors can sell the movie only by beeing shown on the poster. There was, IE, no A-actors in the "Lord of the Rings"

@LeHah - havent wached "born on 4-th of july", maybe I will change my mind about Cruise when i see it. But my point wasn't that Tom Cruise plays everyman - it was that he plays Tom Cruise, from "Top Gun" to "Eyes Wide Shut". I don't even remember the name of ANY of characters he played, because he was allways to much behaving like Tom Cruiise. Now if he gets a role of some Tom Cruise, he can be great, and the film can be really good, but the ultimate test of the acting skills is playing really difficult role in that way, that we don't see the actor, but the haracter he is playing.

And it is not only about his face beeing to much recogniseble, so everyone will think of him as of Actor rather than his Role - Sean Connery has very rocognisable face, but when he played King Arthur, it Was King Arthur you saw, as well as with captain of the Red October.

Now I don't want to offend anyone who likes Tom Cruise. Your poit about opinion and Judging is definitly true and I am sorry. perheaps i should add "in my opinion" to the first post, and this will end the disscussion

To quote someone better than you or I "Everyone has the right to an informed opinion." Neither one of us has the capacity to "judge" "literature"; sure, we can talk about it but judging it really is not in your capacity.
Eh, that's just bullshit made up by idiot film critics who want to be the only ones judging films, so that they can give their precious awards at Cannes to whatever turgid piece of crap some "independent" filmmaker came up with, without having to face the rest of the world telling them what it thinks of their choice.

Not everyone is qualified to judge a physics theory. But everyone is qualified to judge art, because the very idea of art is to move people.

Back