Wing Commander 4 rated as the 29th worst game ever

gwydion

Rear Admiral
Ok, no offence to this guy... actually... i dont care, what a moron.
Wing commander 4 as the 29th worst game of all time??

http://blogs.theage.com.au/screenplay/archives//004265.html

His reason:
The huge budget was spent on the game's B-grade "stars" and not on the gameplay.

We all know there was some issues with WC4s textures and what not (making it look worse than wc3 which was kinda odd!), but that didn't make it less fun to play. To list it at the 29th game of all time?! Oh my.

Anyone who is bored and wants to post a few "Are you crazy?" messages to him (there's a user comments section) feel free.

The list is a mishmash of real classics like The 7th Guest, Leisure Suit Larry or Myst and generic pile-on games like Battlecruiser 3000, Daikatana and Night Trap. The guy's just trying to make people mad and drum up attention for his site.

He seems to have something against FMV in general -- it gets mentioned over and over and over and over...

ok whoever posted on there trying to convince people that WC4's actors aren't B grade, i think that's stretching it a bit :)
With the possible exception of John Rhys-Davies, the others ARE B grade actors. They did great in WC4 dont get me wrong... but you aint gonna see them starring in their own movies anytime soon (i wouldn't mind being proven wrong though!)

Does one consider Malcolm McDowell a B-grade actor? ;-)

His paystub certainly says so.

Quality of acting has nothing to do with what you get casted in, though. Look at all the bad movies David Warner has been in - and he spent years with the Royal Shakespeare Company with Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Bob Peck.

Isn't Wing Commander IV technically an "interactive movie"? ;)

The original Wing Commander was an "interactive movie", and not just "technically"; it said so right on the box. The phrase isn't referring to using FMV, but telling a story like one would see in a movie, only the player gets to steer the storyline with their actions (or lack thereof).

In so far as grades of actors can be measured, B isn't so bad -- the A-list are the precious few superstars who open a movie based on their name alone (which certainly doesn't include John Rhys-Davies...).

Random idiot posting crap on his blog, how shocking.

This is certainly one of the worst lists of "worst games" ever made!

In so far as grades of actors can be measured, B isn't so bad

I think perhaps the stigma of people thinking of "B Movies" and then "B Actors".

Not that theres anything wrong with that. A lot of people our generation has come to adore (Mark Hamill, Bruce Campbell, etc) are nothing but B-Movie actors. And those actors still have much, much more money than most of us will ever have.

Bruce Campbell, no matter how awesome he is, is probably a G or H actor.

0312242646-l.jpg

Haha, I'm about halfway through "Make Love: The Bruce Campbell Way" right now. I take it there is a difference between a "B-Actor" and a "B-Movie Actor".

I was watching some South Park I downloaded the other day, and I saw Malcolm McDowell doing the Masterpiece Theatre guy on the "Great Expectations" spoof. McDowell: "Hello, I'm a British guy, and welcome to this edition of 'South Park presents The Classics!" Hehehe, funny...but when you see HIM going that low, it's obvious the man's in need of cash.

...but when you see HIM going that low, it's obvious the man's in need of cash.

Actually, he did it because Trey Parker is a major fan of McDowell's and asked him to be on the show.

Haha, I'm about halfway through "Make Love: The Bruce Campbell Way" right now. I take it there is a difference between a "B-Actor" and a "B-Movie Actor".

You're certainly a better man than I. He may be a B-actor (and a cool one at that), but he's a D-author at best.

Back