Votes: 7 13.5%
  • WC4

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • WCP

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • SO

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
Heh. The previous post should tell you how much I think the Hellcat V 5uxx0rz, if I'd take the Epee before the Hellcat.

Bombers:

Devastator is my favorite. Bar none. That huge gun under the nose cements it.

Shrike: While the gun power leaves a lot to be desired, it's a fairly useful fighter-bomber, especially with a reasonably large missile payload and fairly OK turn radius.

Broadsword: The classic. Obviously a tribute to the classic WWII B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bomber. ;)

Longbow: OK bomber but kinda blah, really, with an excellent missile loadout but not maneuverable enough to take advantage of it.

Crossbow: Who let this in? The Crossbow has the maneuverability of a fighter but lacks the afterburners which would allow it to take advantage of it.

About the Broadsword blind spot.....the pilot could roll the ship to cover it. If I were trying to shoot one with it being human controlled, I'd really reak a serious sweat, man!

Just out of curiosity, how's the roll rate? I mean that's what I figured would be the most practical method of countering that kind of attack, but were the thing slow, and if you didn't notice the attack because the red blip stayed in the same place every time, by the time someone drilled a missle and some energy into the top of your ship, you'd still have some trouble even if you corrected with that roll. Potentially if the roll rate is extremely slow, one can counter it by trying to follow the roll, which yeah I know is hard but shouldn't be that bad utilizing afterburners.

Have the Broadswords in a box formation similar to the way b17s did it in WW2. That way, turret fire can be coordinated to cover each other.

Originally posted by Antix
Just out of curiosity, how's the roll rate? I mean that's what I figured would be the most practical method of countering that kind of attack, but were the thing slow, and if you didn't notice the attack because the red blip stayed in the same place every time, by the time someone drilled a missle and some energy into the top of your ship, you'd still have some trouble even if you corrected with that roll. Potentially if the roll rate is extremely slow, one can counter it by trying to follow the roll, which yeah I know is hard but shouldn't be that bad utilizing afterburners.

Roll rate on a Broadsword isn't too bad -- when I'm flying in WC2 solo in a broadsword against wings of Sartha or Dralthi I basically play "giant turret"-- pivot the Broadsword rapidly to present the front, rather than the top or bottom, to oncoming fighters. It really ain't that easy to attack a spinning broadsword and not be facing at least a pair of neutron guns. Once I'm face to face with a fighter craft of any size my three mass drivers will rip apart any fighter-class vessel in the WC2 universe.

So .. the Broadsword's a tough opponent. Not an unbeatable one by any stretch of the imagination, but tough nonetheless. If I were to attack one I'd prefer to have a wing of four Rapiers to do the job and attack from multiple directions at once. Like wolves against a mammoth, a well-coordinated group will do better than one alone.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Back