why?

Origin is still a game development center -- they're just not developing UO2. They're an exceedingly valuable resource that EA will not shut down -- I mean, how many development houses have THX certified sound studios?

EA was, of course, the organization that funded Wing Commander 3 onward... Origin could *never* have done games like that without EA. We mustn't be so quick to bite the hand that, for a decade, kept us very well-fed.

Hum makes you think about what wcIII would of looked like had they still only had a wcII budget. Armada like flight seqences with wcII like cutscences maybe. I bet all those people who first noticed wing commander at #3 , would of missed the whole series then.

WC2 was the better product tho. The live actors got in the way of the story in WC3 and belond. :/

No, without EA, RG would have bankrupted Origin with some crazy project long before they could develop a Wing Commander 3. :)

Originally posted by Meson
WC2 was the better product tho. The live actors got in the way of the story in WC3 and belond. :/

Better then WC3 ? Get outa here. Ok, the movies aren't so great, but at least you have something that is more real.

Originally posted by Meson

Dang purists... :)

I'm kidding, of course. I do have a fondness for WingII that, to an extent, exceeds that of WCIII...though I did like the FMV sequences. :)

And I never did finish WCII... :(

Originally posted by iCe
Better then WC3 ? Get outa here. Ok, the movies aren't so great, but at least you have something that is more real. [/B]

WC2 has better music, better Damage control (your guns and several systems could be damaged, and when returning to base you could see the damage at your fighter), much more exciting Torpedo runs, and it was more challenging (you could easily get killed)

I also preferred the storyline of WC2

That said, WC3 is NOT bad. It is a great game, but I never liked it as much as Wc2/1

I've always preferred WC3/4 over 1/2. The FMV have a little bit to do with it, but I just like the whole darker atmosphere of 3 and 4.

I found the atmosphere of comradeship and getting promoted or proving yourself in WC1/WC2 more appealing than the doomsday atmosphere in WC3. And I liked it that in Wc1/2 it was not that you fought for mankind's very survival. If you lost the game it was not the end of the human race (except for SM1) unlike in WC3 where you are the saviour of humanity (which I found a bit too cliché). WC4 though had again great story and atmosphere and soo cool cutscenes.

I have to (ARGH! <g> ) to agree with Mekt...

In WC1 and 2, everything seemed to go well (except that at the end of each WC2 episode, there was a cutscene showing Thrakhath and the Emperor explaining that in fact the Kilrathi were winning the war... :rolleyes: )

In WC3, we were completing the missions, but Kilrah was about to get to Terra anyway, it seemed hopeless... I don't know, even if we won, it felt a bit awkward... 'know what I mean? :)

Back