why?

Frosty83

Spaceman
i never saw it in an article of a pc games magazin or saw somewhere else. i mean the reason...why was the wing commander series stoped??? i dont get it. it was damn popular (the games are for me the best in the world, even now...no game bounded me more to the screen. my first and only nickname comes also from the series). everybody would buy a new part of it... how can they tell that they make a new trilogy and then crop it in that moment when blair disappear and when the alien menance is still there...

that was the thing that brought me to play the wc series. the damn good storyline, the incredible cool dogfights, the feeling that you are really in the game, that your wingmen are real and that they are fighting with you on your side against the aliens (they even didnt told what a name they have) and the kilrathi. even if there are some fan projects which will bring some entertainment it wont be the same. they can make new mission and so on, but no movie sequences which gave the game the incredible big atmosphere.

well it was a great time to play wing commander, each one of them. nobody can bring the spirit back except of origin and the persons who made prophecy, and i am really very sad about that...

please give me an answer

p.s.: sorry for my bad english:)

Frosty

I'm sad that WC has seemingly disappeared too. I got into the scene late, after all the games had been made. I'd have loved to know what it was like to eagerly await the new game coming out, drooling over screenshots and any tidbit of information released about it. Hopefully that experience won't elude me my entire life.

Glad to see that you worship WC as much as I do.
I do not have real evidence for my points but I think WC was abandoned because it made not enough money for EA. And they wanted to concentrate on Ultima.

EA/OSI made good profit from the WC series. I would suspect that because of the creators departure, along with other people that worked on the games left EA/OSI, they just either didnt have the savy to continue after SO or maybe they are waiting for the right time to create a new one. I, like many others, anxiously await that new WC game. I remember the "drooling" over pics and news articles, back in the days of BBS!! We can only wait and keep the spirit alive.

RFB

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Perhaps not enough for the greedy little fellows at EA ;)

For me it is the classical "Bad Management". Look at EA: What did they produce in the last years? C+C3 (Trash, so bad it is hard to describe compared to Red Alert 1), Ultima 9 (I don't know Ultima, but the reviews obviously weren't that good), NO new WC, always the same EA sports titles (which are good, indeed, but not very innovative).

Now the new idea with using the DVD packaging instead of the old, bigger ones, this lead to worse manuals (Victory Streak inside a DVD box? Impossible!)

The list could be continued, just look at the people who left EA... I don't know why Chris Roberts, Richard Garriot etc left EA, but if EA had cared, they'd tried to find replacements (I know this is almost impossible)

A few years ago, the situation was different: EA had great subcompanies, Origin (Wing Commander), Bullfrog, Westwood (that time they even made great games) which were able to operate more independant from EA.

I think that EA went the completely wrong way compared by taking the freedom away from this companies.

This might be a bad comparision, but just look into the airline business: Lets take the airline Lufthansa, for example: In the beginning of the 90's they were making huge losses, until they started with a out-sourcing policy. Today, the company is devided into a Cargo, Passage etc subsection, each one trying to get the best results, as they were directly responsible for their work.

In the beginning, EA did it much the same way, giving each subcompany their independance, but today they are centralising too much, thus decreasing costs, but unfortunately also product quality and quantity.

Well I have to say that I don't know too much about EA, so please correct me if it is completely wrong what I've written now, ´but I think it reflects reality well enough

I also think Origin went alittle nutso with the trends lately too. They were just determined to make an MMO, and EA was all like "No, we're only having ONE MMO!"

So they cancel Privateer Online. Then, Origin is still insistant with UO2. Then they died (more or less)

Wouldn't it make sense that if EA doesn't want you to make an MMO, you'd make a single player game? It doesn't neccesarily they had to make a new WC game, it's just they're stupid for their determination to make those MMO's when EA clearly said they didn't want another one.

On a sidenote, I remember us talking here about a year ago about how Origin/EA could get extra money by placing ads inside their games. I think it's pretty cool that they finally came up with the same idea :).

Just depends on how they do it. I don't wanna be playing the next Wing Commander game and crash into like a giant space billboard for Mountain Dew or something. (Actually, that would be kinda cool.....but)

It would work out good for their sports games. Like having real advertisments in the stadiums and stuff. That's a good idea.

Actually, come to think of it, I have seen an advert in an EA game. The World is Not Enough for N64, when you paused it it brought you up to a wristwatch style menu. It said either "Nokia" or "Motorola" on the top, I forget which and I don't feel like starting the game up at the moment.

Yes, Wing Commander was one of the more profitable gaming franchises -- there are just too many variables here for anyone to really truly understand, though. I sure don't.

Lots of other people have thought of in-game adverts. For instance, Rob Smolka of PC Gamer (he wrote a column about it a while back), and...well, that's all I can think of. But hey, it's a thought...

The idea would work better for Privateer games, though...you could put ads on the stations and planets, and maybe put them in the computer terminals (just be careful about how you do it...I wouldn't want pop-up ads while I'm outfitting my ship).

And hey, you could put the ads on the ships themselves, like they do on airliners and Soyuz rockets. You could put them on YOUR ship and bring in Big Bucks!(TM) This could work with online games, too..."Bandit LOAF says: Drink Pepsi One(TM)!" Or Coke, or Mountain Dew, or whatever.

If profits are big enough, EA could bring back Privateer Online (which I'm sure they'll do, after Freelancer goes big and sells thirty million copies). How about it, EA? Get a head start on your competition!

Although advertising in a game is a great idea, I must say I am opposed to seeing giant billboards on our space craft. It is a sad indictment on any government that has to resort to advertising on their ships. Can you imagine adverts on military craft, planes, APC's or on Police cars?

It just shows bad management and a lack of leadership. Governments should concentrate more on leadership, not on politics.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 9 (I don't know Ultima, but the reviews obviously weren't that good),
-----------------------------------------------------------
AHHH Crazy man stop it!!!
Ultima 9 is the most beatiful game in the world!
I said beatiful not best ok(hint:wc)
When you play the game you really see how much work origin brought into this game and some damn reviews destroyed it!!
Or do you think Black&white is sooo good because of the great reviews??? certainly not!!!!

Just give this great game a chance
PLEEEEEAAASSE!!!!!

What I heard of Ultima 9 was twice. very good or very bad...I don't have it, but from the rewiews B&W would be more interesting for me. But it isn't my genre...so enough I have to work on. For my new PC....:)

Are you at work too??

Cool me too always shitty working but it's nice to have a internet connection at the office!!
Whats your job ??
I am a business man and do nothing right now!!!
just copying some reports. ahh it's so boring!!

Originally posted by Cadfael
Ultima 9 is the most beatiful game in the world!
I don't know much about Ultima - and I have no doubt that Origin made a good effort with it - but from what I know, Ultima Ascension had to be rushed out so fast that it didn't have even the basic of code optimisation, hence the need for really fast PCs to play it well.

Oh normally I am student...but now I am on Easter Holiday and I do a very boring job at a computer firm called debis (Daimler Chrysler IT-Services, I think). It was the firm I absolved my practical training and at the moment I archivate books and CD-ROMs and give it in a database at the PC. Not very interesting, but if you do it 9 hours a day for 4 days you earn 500 marks with it even if it is a idiot's job (in 4 days). Somebody has to do it...as long as it is paid... Tomarrow I'll write programs in Java/HTML again...

Heh, ads on our ships? I can imagine... "You ******! Drink Pepsi, you say?! Die!" ;)

As for Ultima 9, that Richard Garriott interview that the CIC posted about today (or was it yesterday?) mentions that it was through sheer willpower that Ultima 9 even made it to the point where it was releasable. EA wanted it killed, and there wasn't much support at Origin either. It's no surprise, then, that the final product was buggy...

Back