Who was the best ship captain in your opinion?

Given Peter Halcyon's apparent range of influence, I'd say he was CAG aboard the Claw. Wing Commander is supposed to be the position of a wingleader, or the commander of a flight. That's YOUR role in the game. You're the star, and Halcyon was a supporting character in the game. Top billing is supposed to go to you....you are the Wing Commander every time you go out there.

There are two different meanings for the position of Wing Commander -- leader of an element and commander of all squadrons in a fighter wing onboard a carrier. Halcyon is the latter, you the former.

(In WC, a CAG is a naval commander who commands multiple fighter wings on the same ship).

Also a naval Commander. It's just clearer for me. I think I will have much to learn...it's too different from the real military of today (in some ways...in other ways not).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Peter Halcyon was Wing Commander of the TCS Tiger's Claw -- that means he commanded all eight squadrons in the fighter's wing. He was also Captain of the ship during Operation Thor's Hammer (The Secret Missions).

Ok, but you could only know these details if you read the novels right? So my question is: is there any contradiction between the novels and the games? Because as was pointed out before, THERE WERE Broadswords, Sabres, and Longbows on the Claw apparently, during the Vega campaign, but don't you find weird that Halcyon never mentioned them?

You find out about Halcyon from mission 1 to the last mission in WC1, he is the guy giving you briefings from day 1

Originally posted by Napoleon
You find out about Halcyon from mission 1 to the last mission in WC1, he is the guy giving you briefings from day 1

DOH Napoleon! You're insulting my intelligence here ;)

Of course I know who Halcyon is, I'm asking how do you know when/how he's captain of the Claw and when he's only Wing Commander... because there is no point IN THE GAME where he tells you that...

Captain Eisen is, IMHO, the best Captain in the Wing Commander series. Always ready with a bit of comradely good advice and wisdom, and equally ready to lay everything on the line for the Confederation he loved so dearly.

Honestly, I don't think very many captains can beat Eisen; he was just that good.

In a military sense, Eisen wrote a great deal of the book on how to fight carriers in the Kilrathi War. He was evidently an excellent tactician by that standpoint. :)

yes, William Eisen was the greatest captain in WC, but I personally feel that after both wc3 and 4 Will Eisen was as much the hero as blair

Well, the details come from a lot of sources -- novels included... a lot comes from the TV show and movie too, though (as well as the dialogue in WC1... that's how we know that Halcyon was actuall Captain for a time).

Anyway, I don't think it's really odd that Halcyon didn't mention the other ships -- I mean, he didn't mention Scimitars when you were flying Hornets, or Rapiers when you were flying Raptors and so forth.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Anyway, I don't think it's really odd that Halcyon didn't mention the other ships -- I mean, he didn't mention Scimitars when you were flying Hornets, or Rapiers when you were flying Raptors and so forth.

Yeah, I see your point, but sometimes in the briefings, when he assigned other wings, he did mention other ships, like "Spirit and Hunter, you will fly Omega Squadron in Scimitars. Maverick, you will fly Alpha Squadron. You and your wingman will take a couple of Raptors and fly to..."

See? Something like that...

So I wonder again (and maybe you could answer my question Bandit) if there are any contradictions between the novels and the games...:)

Of course Eisen was great. I never understood why they replaced him at WC4 by the idi** called Paulson (or was it Peterson?). He was a thinker. He was able to think himself in the people ( for example in the enemy Captain).
And this is an ability which I like...(and which I'd like to have).

Halcyon briefed his squadrons alone -- when he assigned other wings, they were part of the same squadron you were... occasionally you'd hear things like that Yellowjacket squadron located a Ralari earlier in the day, or that the Blue Devils were out on patrol, or similar comments...

They replaced Eisen in Wing Commander Prophecy because the actor who played him died.

(Also: We're talking about the best captain... but we haven't mentioned Clippy!)

He died? Didn't know that. But do you want to say Eisen would have been the Captain of the Midway if the actor would still have been alive at the time they made P?
(A typical 'what would have happened if not...'-question,sorry).

Yes, Prophecy was originally planned with Eisen as captain of the Midway -- but Jason Bernard died tragically some years back.

Oh. It is a pity that he died. He was a good actor and he represented a good charcter...P would have been much more personal (I mean the atmosphere abroad the Midway) with Eisen as Captain. He left a hole behind which was not completely filled by Capt. Wilford (he was not bad, but Eisen was much better).

Ohhhh :(:( Jason Bernard died?? snifff... It feels like a void is left in the WC universe... That's so sad! I'm wondering if because of this reason, they also made Eisen in the storyline die...

Did Eisen die after WC IV, Bandit? Do you know?

Damn, I can't believe I feel so sad after reading all those posts on his memorial...
I don't remember if I felt the same way when they let Angel die in WC III... :(
It's a sad loss for the WC universe at any rate...

Of course it is bad if characters die (like Angel, Dallas, Flint,Hawk,Vagabond...). Then you are also disappointed and feel very sad. But there's a difference between letting a character die and the death of the real person (who played the character).(Here in Eisen's case the first point seemed to be the result of the second one). But I don't feel so sad, because of Eisen's death. I feel sad because of Jason Bernard's dead!!!But indirect he lives on in the character.
And as we do it here, we let him live on in his work. And if we never forget his work, we'll never forget him.
:(

Yeah that's what I intended to mean. Even though it was Jason Bernard, I will still remember him as Captain Eisen mostly!! May he rest in peace among the stars... :rolleyes:

Back