Who was the best ship captain in your opinion?

mpanty

Keen Commander
Lots of people are probably going to say Captain Eisen. Yeah, he was a hell of a captain! But I have a special affection for good old Colonel Halcyon from the Tiger's Claw, maybe because he was the first...

What does the rest of you guys think?

Hard choice between Capt. Eisen and Capt. Willford. They both were great. Overall, it would be Capt. Eisen.

RFBurns

Blair.
before you start to say "no, he was never a captain", he did comanded the BWS Interpid after Eisen left until the end of WC IV.

Well if we are talking about ship CAPTAINS (not wing commanders), then I would have to go with Eisen. The best wing commander was probably Angel though- she connected with her pilots. Blair was too much of a hero to connect well. Halcyon was good, but he was more of a drill sergeant like presence. But if you count Tolwyn in either of these catagories, he would be the best. He inspired people and he defeated the Kilrathi at the Battle of Earth. If I am wrong, someone please correct me- I'm not positive.

Originally posted by Hobbie
...if you count Tolwyn in either of these catagories, he would be the best. He inspired people and he defeated the Kilrathi at the Battle of Earth...

Hell man! Tolwyn was a total pain in the ass for Blair since the beginning! He was a good leader granted, although with Blair's character he was a real asshole!
So I would place Tolwyn at the bottom!

Originally posted by Dragon
Blair.
before you start to say "no, he was never a captain", he did comanded the BWS Interpid after Eisen left until the end of WC IV.
Blair never really commander the Evil I... he was the ranking officer on board, but he had no experience with commanding a capship and needed advice from a BW navy Lt. And later he was taking orders from Wilford, who might as well have been on the Intrepid all the time.

Originally posted by mpanty
Lots of people are probably going to say Captain Eisen. Yeah, he was a hell of a captain! But I have a special affection for good old Colonel Halcyon from the Tiger's Claw, maybe because he was the first...

Halcyon WASN'T the CO of the Claw. During the majority of WC1 it was Thor.

IF you watched WCATV you would notice that Tolwyn was almost a father to blair until the last few episodes, also in the movie he was not a bad guy towards blair either. I would say best Captain is Captain William Eisen. The best admiral was Tolwyn and the best Wing Commander was old Peter Halcyon

Originally posted by Earthworm
Originally posted by mpanty

Halcyon WASN'T the CO of the Claw. During the majority of WC1 it was Thor.

Really? I didn't know that, where did you get it from? The novels maybe?

Blair *was* Captain of the Intrepid, regardless of who he asked for help -- saying otherwise would be like "LOAF doesn't really work for the CIC, because people sumbit news to him"...

The Tiger's Claw captain is a difficult issue...

Tolwyn commanded the Tiger's Claw for a period before Blair was assigned there -- he was replaced by Captain Sansky, during the movie... (and we all know what happened to *him*) -- after that, Gerald took over as Captain until Thorn was appointed (Thorn is first mentioned in the novel Freedom FLight) -- Tolwyn later accused Thorn of being a traitor (towards the end of WC1), and replaced him as captain. Tolwyn then transferred off of the ship, leaving Colonel Halcyon (the Wing Commander) in charge for Operation Thor's Hammer. Thorn, his loyalty proven, returned to command the Tiger's Claw when it returned to human space.

(If you thought Blair and Tolwyn had a father/son relationship in WCA, you probably have some father issues...:)).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Blair *was* Captain of the Intrepid, regardless of who he asked for help -- saying otherwise would be like "LOAF doesn't really work for the CIC, because people sumbit news to him"...
Yeah, but saying that Blair was a good Captain is like saying that P2 isn't a WC game.:) Yes, all the decisions on the Intrepid went through Blair, but Blair without any experience as a capship CO wouldn't get anything done by himself.

Tolwyn later accused Thorn of being a traitor (towards the end of WC1), and replaced him as captain.
Traitor? Wasn't it more like him not agreing with Tolwyns decisions? And Tolwyn later acused him of cowardice or something?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Tolwyn commanded the Tiger's Claw for a period before Blair was assigned there -- he was replaced by Captain Sansky, during the movie... (and we all know what happened to *him*) -- after that, Gerald took over as Captain until Thorn was appointed (Thorn is first mentioned in the novel Freedom FLight) -- Tolwyn later accused Thorn of being a traitor (towards the end of WC1), and replaced him as captain. Tolwyn then transferred off of the ship, leaving Colonel Halcyon (the Wing Commander) in charge for Operation Thor's Hammer. Thorn, his loyalty proven, returned to command the Tiger's Claw when it returned to human space.

So basically, the squadron commanded by Halcyon was only one of the many (four I heard) the Claw had, and Halcyon wasn't actually the ship's captain, just the Wing Commander...
Ok, I'm starting to get the picture...
I'm just wondering whether Chris Roberts' storyline in the WC series takes account of the novels, or if there might be some contradictions...?

He was the Wing Commander not squadron commander and btw their were 8 squadrons aboard the Claw. And by father son, you saw how tolwyn alway choose blair to lead the missions and in chain of command he had blair be on the bridge with him and he was grooming him to be a higher up at one point. as such i contend that for a while tolwyn saw blair as a possible successor and also as a son to prepare for war.

I have to agree with Capt. Eisen. I don't know many others, but he was correct. But who is Peter Halcyon? Okay, except Wing Commander...on which ship?
I think the best WC is Jason Bondarevski. But out of the films it has to be the CAG of the Midway (for me). But it is a pity, that she never went out. She just stayed on the ship. I would have liked to fly beside her.

Cowardice in wartime *is* treason.

Peter Halcyon was Wing Commander of the TCS Tiger's Claw -- that means he commanded all eight squadrons in the fighter's wing. He was also Captain of the ship during Operation Thor's Hammer (The Secret Missions).

Back