• Stilleto

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Talon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sabre

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its obvious that in WCP Confed is using a new type of armor which provides tripple protection.

Thud F/B 360, L/R 300. Roughly eqivilant to Shrike, only slightly less to the sides with the greater front/back protection.

Arrow 240/180. Roughly the same as Piranha, only similar layout to Thud.

Excla: 330. 10cm more than Vamp.

Hellcat 300/240. Roughly the same as Panther, 280/260/240.

So simply be straping the extra armor on those fighters can be put back on the front line.

Huh? How exactly is that obvious, when it's obviously not the case at all? :p In SO, the Excal has 110cm armour, and the Thunderbolt has 120/120/100/100 armour. In other words, they have the same armour as they had in WC3/4.

I like the way people think that every 5 years or so it becomes possible to strap another 20 cm of armor to a ship and increase the speed by 10kps while you're at it :D

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
I like the way people think that every 5 years or so it becomes possible to strap another 20 cm of armor to a ship and increase the speed by 10kps while you're at it :D

I think it's a measure, not the actual thickness of the armor.

Maybe is 150 cm - equivalent. As materials get better, you need less armor to do the same job. So a 100cm armor in WC1 would do less than a 100cm armor on WCP. For the ships data be comparable, it would have to be something like this.

100 cm in WC1 offers as much protection as 100 cm in WCP. However, 100 cm in WCP is not as thick as 100 cm in WC1.

So the numbers refer to a relative measure (cm equivalent), not the actual thickness of the armor. 100cm will always protect the same, but the actual thickness of the necessary armor may vary due to the technology involved.

Yeah, the measure of armor is a measure of its resistance as compared to Durasteel. For example, if the Devestator really had 400 cm thick armor, that would mean that the armor layer on its hull would be over thirteen feet thick! Now given that the Devestator only weighs 23 tons, this seems obviously absurd--the armor would have to be as light as styrofoam. It is more likely that the actual physical thickness of fighter armor is not more than two feet. What the 400 figure means is that the armor provides the same amount of protection as 400 cm of durasteel.

Yeah, the Arrow would be better than the Pirhana if it had decent armor. All the Pirhana has going for it is that it has heavy armor for a light fighter plus that Stormfire Mk. II gun. The Arrow has the same speed and agility, carries an additional pair of IR missiles (for 4 IR/4 HS), and has 2 Ion/2 Laser instead of 2 Ion/1 Laser. If you doubled the armor strength of the Arrow I would be glad to have it instead.

Anyway, if we are talking about UE2, then the Arrow would be good for a fighter midway between the Ferret and the Rapier (replacing the Epee). Compared to the Epee it would be a bit slower (520/1400 kps and 90/80/90 dps vs. 560/1600 kps and 120/120/120 dps), but would have about 50% more shields and armor, slightly faster-firing guns (but no Stormfire), and an extra pair of missiles (but no torp). Compared to the Rapier it would have a bit more speed, with moderately lighter shields and armor, and a lighter gun and missile load.

But, if the Arrow appeared in UE2 (not that there's much chance of that), it would probably be the poorly-armed/armoured Armada Arrow. Ooh, 800 kps - they don't get faster than that ;).

BWorlds

I would have to agree with Delance on using The Darkening's military fighters, despite obvious differences in the Universe. What i liked about the Boarder worlds in the original wing commander games was their resourcefulness in terms of bolting scraps of ancient fighters together, making do with what they got, mix and matching etc. I would see no problem in having an Arrow with a filthy big stormfire strapped to it or a (privateer2) karnenan outfitted for military use. Its the lack of military precision or uniformality that makes the border worlds airforce so appealing in my opinion. And when rendering wing commander 1 fighters in 3d for the first time, i dont think the dev team should be so dedicated in recreating EXACT rapiers, raptors etc. considering that they were 2 dimensional representations of 3 dimensional concept art in the original WC game. There should be some liberty taken in the paint jobs at least, with paint flaking off, missile burns etc.

There is the slight problem that Privateer 2's ships have yet to be created circa UE...

So I'm right, the new fighters use new armor. While the older fighters use the older, cheaper armor. Right?

So strap the new armor on the old fighters and they're just as good as the new ones. Well there is a slight gap.

Re: Re: BWorlds

Originally posted by Delance
When did I say that?
You didn't, and just keep on not saying it if you want to live ;).

BattleDog, it's not quite as simple as that. The best example is the UE Scim, I think - it's upgraded about as much as a ship can be... and it still sucks :p. Going with the example of the Arrow - if it appeared in UE, it would definitely be inferior to the Piranha.

Also, note that although this hasn't really happened in UE (except, to a certain degree, with the K'ha'haf), a fighter can actually turn out to be worse than the original. When I originally decided to replace Beaufort's mass driver-carrying Scims with Arrows, they were markedly inferior to the WC3 version in many aspects. Not that it mattered, of course, since they got replaced with the Ferret :).

Originally posted by Quarto
But, if the Arrow appeared in UE2 (not that there's much chance of that), it would probably be the poorly-armed/armoured Armada Arrow. Ooh, 800 kps - they don't get faster than that ;).

LOL! Actually I think the WC3 Arrow would be decent with its stats as-is--stronger than the Epee but not a lot stronger.

The big thing with the Arrow is the way the guns fire. In So you get neather a short burst of fast fire or a sustained attack. On the other hand however if you fit it with masdrivers, man, oh man.

I still think it woyuld simply be a case of strapping new armor on. My point though was that the Arrow is better than the Piranha, I know, I've flown both, unmodded in SO.

Back