What's your favorite game engine?

He probably means that it's unlikely that two TCS Austins happen to be destroyer cruising with the Claw at about the same time.:)

Well, I finally realized that I could've looked that information up on the CIC's timeline. The Secret Missions 2 (Crusade) and Freedom Flight actually do take place at the same time. This significantly increases the chances that the two Austins are actually the same ship.

Now the only question is which class that ship is. Has anyone actually been able to target the Austin in Crusade, like Quarto said? If so and if it said that it's an Exeter, then there's probably two Austins.

If not, then the Gettysburg-class cruiser is probably just very similar in design to the Exeter-class destroyer. This would mean that the Austin we see in Crusade is a Gettysburg-class cruiser.

What we need now is information.

[Edited by WildWeasel on 02-16-2001 at 19:07]

Erm, we obviously know from the game that the Austin is with the Claw whille in Firekka...

And the first part of FF takes place during that time, so the Austin mentioned on the Ras Nik'hra in FF has to be the game Austin.

It has to be the same ship? :)

It doesn't have to be anything. It could just as easily be another ship with the same name. I just want to know if it is the same ship. Is there anyone that has an answer to my previous question?

(Has anyone actually been able to target the Austin in Crusade, like Quarto said?)

[Edited by WildWeasel on 02-16-2001 at 19:14]

Yes, it has to be the same ship. Because it's right next to the Claw at the same time...

Unless there are two different destroyers named Austin near the Claw.:)

According to Freedom Flight, the Austin is a Gettysburg-class cruiser, not a destroyer. Now, it's in Crusade where the conflict occurs.

There's one mission where you can actually see the Austin before it jumps out. (I'm not sure if you can get close enough to target it or not.) It looks just like an Exeter-class destroyer. I'm just trying to find proof (one way or the other) that gives the class of the Austin in Crusade. If I can find proof that it is an Exeter-class destroyer, then there has to be two different TCS Austins.

[Edited by WildWeasel on 02-16-2001 at 19:36]

If I can find proof that it is an Exeter-class destroyer, then there has to be two different TCS Austins.
No... that will simply mean that the afore-mentioned Ventures are indeed Ventures. I'll see if I can get a screenshot later.

What are you talking about? The Austin is either a Gettysburg-class cruiser or an Exeter-class destroyer (or there's one of each). I haven't even mentioned Venture-class corvettes at all.

[Edited by WildWeasel on 02-16-2001 at 21:34]

The Austin in Freedom Flight is the same as the Austin in Crusade. They're the *same* story, from different points of view (in Crusade you play as Blair, in Freedom Flight you see what Hunter is doing as a member of the same squadron on the same ship in the same situation).

Good. This gives enough evidence to confirm that my second possible answer to this question is the correct one. The Gettysburg-class cruiser simply looks like an Exeter-class destroyer. The TCS Austin is a Gettysburg-class cruiser.

Now, if anyone manages to actually target the Austin in Crusade and if it does say that it's an Exeter, I'll kill them! :p

This entire discussion is idiotic -- the *only* thing that calls the DC ships ventures is the background writing on the wall during the briefings... it's not stated outright in the briefing, they appear as Exeters in the game, and the official guide's in-universe writeup calls them Exeters. I have absolutely no idea what Quarto things he needs to prove.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
This entire discussion is idiotic -- the *only* thing that calls the DC ships ventures is the background writing on the wall during the briefings... it's not stated outright in the briefing, they appear as Exeters in the game, and the official guide's in-universe writeup calls them Exeters. I have absolutely no idea what Quarto things he needs to prove.
Well, I'll be perfectly honest. I happen to like the idea of the Diplomatic Corps naming their ships after UN Secretaries-General, and I happen to consider it highly unlikely for the Diplomatic Corps to get their hands on Exeter-class destroyers... then there's also the simple fact that I like Ventures more than Exeters :). It might seem stupid to be arguing about something based on personal preferences, but at the end of the day, all these arguments are based on personal preferences.

I know it was a stupid argument, but didn't we agree at one point that the games take precedence over other source material in the case of apparent contradictions? Therefore, one could argue that the Gettysburg Austin is the 'wrong' Austin. :)

Back