What's your favorite game engine?

LividLiquid

Rear Admiral
From the Wing Commander games, of course.

And I don't mean which game do you like the best, I mean which game was the most fun to actually FLY in. Which felt the most real to you all?

My personal favorite is the Prohecy\SecretOps engine, followed closely by the Wing1\2 engine.

Well, there are really only four engines -- WC1/2/Privateer, Armada/WC3/4, Vision and B-Render.

WC1's engine is my favorite to play with, but Privateer 2's B-Render is *definately* the most impressive technologically.

I must say the Armada/wc3/wc4 engine was the best, with it being pushed to the limit or at least it's highest point in WCIV. I personally thought that the in game graphics in WCIV were better than with the Vision engine. Part of that is that the engines in the arm/3/4 engine were shown as having different colors with the center blacker and the sides bluer, which is demonstative of different heat, and then having the exhust appear to me to be more realistic than the semi-translucent sky blue of the Vision engine. Also the guns in WC3/4 looked better in my opinion, that beging that those streaks of light looked better than Vision's balls and rounded squares (exp. Tachyon, Laser, Ion), Well that is just me. But I thought I remeber reading somewhere that B-Render was used as a precurser to Vision thus making them similar to the differences between Armada and WC4. Maybe it was BS but hey ya never know.

My favorite engine is... WC P
And my Favorite Game......PRIVATEER
you can go to every place in the gemini quadrant and do whatever you want, buy 3 class of ships and put anythig you want into them

[Edited by Ghost on 02-10-2001 at 23:29]

No, B-Render had nothing to do with the Vision engine -- B-Render was, in fact, a licensed engine created by a completely different development house. It's utilization in Privateer 2 was *fantastic* (you could have dozens of detailed 3D ships with lighting effects at once on a 486/75...).

Privateer was an evolved version of the WC1/2 engine.

Definitely XWA.

As our total conversion stands, we have more WC ships finished and installed in it than any Wing Commander has, and we will eventually have every single ship from WC1, WC2, WC Privateer, WC Armada, and WC3 (as well as a few old ones from WC4).

The Scimitar just looks so much better in 3D (but it still performs like crap)!

I thought the WC2 engine, in its time of course, was pretty cool. Now it's just a little weird bombing a capship and slamming into it when it looks as big as your fighter.

WC3... the blue backgrounds, WHY? WC4 was pretty cool, but the best was the WCP/SO engine.

To be fair, the number of ships in a game has nothing to do with the engine -- had we the druthers, we could put every ship in Wing Commander 1.

(Druthers?)

To get rid of the blue space in Wing Commander 3, pick a black screen instead of the blue one during the install process.

Def the WC3/4 engine simply because it was the most taken advantage of. Highly detailed textures in wc4, weapons have fairly realistic looks. The vision engine looks rushed due to the low detail textures, horrible ball weapons, and lack of capital ship explosions. Maybe if they would have made a sequel these would have been addressed but since they didn't have to judge it on what is shown.

Those aren't aspects of the engine, those are pieces of artwork. The engine is what *displays* the artwork.

The Total Conversion is for X-wing Alliance (XWA), and I can say that the best thing about it is the monstrous fleet battles we'll be having...96 ships for each of the four sectors, woohoo!

Expect some serious Concordia/Snakeir/Kamekh/Bengal/Fralthra/Hakaga/Waterloo/Ralatha/Exeter/Fralthi/Gilgamesh/Ralari/Venture major fleet battles..

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
To get rid of the blue space in Wing Commander 3, pick a black screen instead of the blue one during the install process.

Pah, that just kills the gamma correction and makes everything dark. :(

I really don't see how Realspace can compete with Vision. I actually think the capships in WC3 look better than in WC4. The textures used in IV look so grainy and sometimes they don't even line properly. Just look at the WC4 Vesuvius in the ships directory.

I don't see how you can say the textures in Prophecy were low-res, maybe it's just my lousy comp, but it doesn't look any worse than WC3/4. And as for the gun ammo, well... that's up to your preference, and I don't think they look that bad.

For some reason I was looking through all the games that I didn't play from what was bundled in my SB16 package, and noticed that Shadowcaster used an engine from id software. I never knew that engines could be used by different companies.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I don't see how you can say the textures in Prophecy were low-res, maybe it's just my lousy comp, but it doesn't look any worse than WC3/4. And as for the gun ammo, well... that's up to your preference, and I don't think they look that bad.
I don't know if they were lower res than WC3/4, and I rather doubt it, but they definitely were low-res. The reason they don't look low-res is because Vision handles them brilliantly, smoothing them out, blending them, and in general making them look excellent, as long as you're not trying to add some tiny detail (which would become a big soft splotch :)).

For some reason I was looking through all the games that I didn't play from what was bundled in my SB16 package, and noticed that Shadowcaster used an engine from id software. I never knew that engines could be used by different companies.
Hmm... no offence, but how long have you been hiding under that rock? :) Game engines, though mostly just the 3D shooter ones, get licensed to other companies all the time.

That's not fair, Q. Dad's not real big on me using the computers as games machines, so Wing Commander is the only thing I've really stuck into. Plus the fastest comp in the house is still the PII 266 which is Dad's which means it's off limits, so I'm stuck with P166 for Inet and the later WC's

I'd have to say WC3's engine was my favorite. The control is more precise than the earlier games, and the ability to use a throttle button was a big plus.

Back