What was it about WC:P?

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
What was it about Prophecy that made the gameplay so fun? I can't put my finger on it...

I would have to say the new 3DFX engine. It was much faster and the ships cockpits just really put you in the action. I feel that the game was also faster paced with a new kind of species that no one really knew about. We had a super carrier that wasn't exactly online, but we had to deal with it because if we didn't a heck of a lot of people were going to die. Even though we thought the war was over, here comes a race that just wipes out an entire Kilrathi fleet that would have surely put a serious wound in our side. I feel that the game play was also a lot smoother than the previous games. This new game had a certain feel to it that seperated it from the other games, the story was important yes, but I feel there was a bigger emphasis on the flight combat that the other games didn't have.

the CAG.... *shudder* I just liked the fact that it was a freash story and you were not Blair... don't get me wrong, playing as Blair in the other games was great but it was nice to be the new kid on the ship... i still think that Blair was a bad fit for WC:p but that's just my opinion... having Maniac there was the best... you can't go wrong with the Maniac...

My question about Casey's callsign.. there is a scene before a mission where Dallas and Casey are talking and Dallas refers to him as Frosty... now I know that Casey is the Iceman's son but I wonder if that could be seen as his callsign or just a rib b/c he is the Iceman's son...

It looks good, handles extremely well, the missions are fun and believable. there was also a variety of enemy fighters and bombers. And while it had a plot, it was centered around gameplay, not the "interactive movie" in which YOU control your own destoney. Also being a windows game, it requires less setup time, and is great for a quick WC fix.

The WCP engine was the most polished WC engine ever, as far as control goes, and it was (understandably) the best WC engine ever as far as graphics, sound, and mission customisability go. And it was the first WC game that actually made the battle feel "big". You almost always had at least two wingmen, and there was usually several wings taking part in the mission. Until WCP, multi-wingman missions had been the exception, not the rule.

There. It's fairly hideous, but it's slightly less hideous than TC's rank. So enjoy... Captain Johnny Captain Johnny.

ugh... they call Casey "Frosty" all of what... ONCE in the whole game? It's probably just some nickname that people pick up or something. Isn't his callsign meant to be open for anything, like Blair's in 3 and 4?

Anyway, what made Prophecy so fun for me is the faster pacing of space battles, the absolute number of ships to shoot down, and the shockwave explosions of those bug bastards as you roasted them like a Shriner.

Originally posted by Quarto
You almost always had at least two wingmen, and there was usually several wings taking part in the mission. Until WCP, multi-wingman missions had been the exception, not the rule.

I liked being able to hit one button and give orders to ALL your wingmen too. I'm playing WCIV now and it's annoying to have to go thru each wingman and tell them what to do.

ugh... they call Casey "Frosty" all of what... ONCE in the whole game? It's probably just some nickname that people pick up or something. Isn't his callsign meant to be open for anything, like Blair's in 3 and 4?

You mean "Maverick" Blair?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

You mean "Maverick" Blair?

Well, Blair's callsign is only 'Maverick' in the WC3 book (iirc, he changes it to 'Heart of the Tiger' in the WC4 book). The game makes no mention of it.
The "Frosty" comment directed toward Casey in WCP is probably just meant to refer to either his disposition or his flying skills. Comments like that pop up from time to time as a mention of (high) competence, although you don't see it very often.
Of course, if it were Casey's callsign, it would create an interesting connection with his dad, who went by "Iceman".

Maverick was also his callsign in the cartoon series, the movie and the movie novelizations.

I was going to mention that, but I don't have KS and didn't want to use word-of-mouth.

Back