What one thing do you want to see most in UE2?

What one thing do you want to see in Unknown Enemy 2?

• A long winning path

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • A complex branching system

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • More ships from the previous games

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Brand new ships

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • High emphasis on plot

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • More carriers

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Character animation in FMV

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • An inbuilt fiction viewer

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
That would certainly be a good way to develop the bugs. The problem is that if we did this with the SO engine, flying a bug ship would be identical to flying a human ship.

Well nabing one shouldn't be overly difficult just steal a cap with fighters possibly at a dock? Then they can just over haul it. Since Decker and co didn't or haven't yet been affected by the virus it's assumed its caused by there destruction. Maybe the bugs can geta bug??
Also if ships can be altered why not alter the ships activated by the moreship code unless its unfindable in so.

Originally posted by Quarto
As for capship battles, capships are stupid and don't aim at components - they just don't see the difference between a fighter and a capship.
IIRC, I'm sure Locke made a capship mission where Murphy destroyers were refitted with some heavy plasma cannons, and I'm sure they actually manoeuvred around the Nephilim capships to specifically target the bridge and engines. Unfortunately, Locke doesn't appear to have a site anymore (I can't find anything, in any case). I think I still have a copy at home, but I only played it once or twice.

Originally posted by Dark Tower
Well nabbing one shouldn't be overly difficult, just steal a cap with fighters, possibly at a dock?
Interesting thought: the Midway 'borrowed' a fleet plasma cannon from the Kraken captured in dry dock - why is there no mention of any research or whatever on the rest of the ship in SO?

...it's assumed [the virus is] caused by [the ship's] destruction.
It's pretty much evident in SO.

Maybe the bugs can get a bug??
You mean a virus? Probably not. It's probably their way of making sure that other species can't use their craft against them - whether by accident or design.

Also if ships can be altered, why not alter the ships activated by the [alswantsmoreships] code...
I think Q was saying that they'd just fly like a Confed ship - it wouldn't make sense from the storyline point of view. Nephilim ships wouldn't be as easy to convert as Kilrathi ships (eg the Dralthi in SM2).

Originally posted by Pedro
Well... I've seen some of the Capships take out turrets on neighbouring ones in some of the larger capship battles in UE :) It wouldn't do them any good to fire lasers at components other than the turrets anyway.
I thought HCl made something to alter whether a gun could hit a capship or not...

You might be thinking of Thomas Bruckner's WCPEdit. And the effect they have on capship components - all guns can hit capships, assuming they can fire in the first place. :)

Actually we do use the alswants more ships code but you seem to be under the mistaken impression that we use the simulator for the main campaign, we don't, the simulator is just an added extra.

I think your memory's playing tricks on you, Wedge :p. Capships fire their turrets at the enemy capship's hull. If they hit a component, they do damage, but most of the time they don't hit it.

And nope, there was no word of the captured Kraken, which is a pity. However, the WCP guide (which I don't have) apparently talks about individual bugs being taken prisoner.

Hoops: yep, HCl made a patch which makes it possible to change which guns will damage capship components. However, the patch has no effect on the AI - that is, even if the laser gun can damage a component, the AI won't know it and therefore won't try it.

I voted "Talking Heads", because I am pretty sure we'll have everything else in UE2 anyhow <g>

I'd not go FMV however or UE will have to be shipped on a DVD ;)

Some of you might have played Halcyon Sun. They had pretty neat cutscenes rendered by the engine. Now the question would be: can the SO Engine do this as well?
At least WC2 Style cutscenes should not be impossible, should they?!

They had pretty neat cutscenes rendered by the engine. Now the question would be: can the SO Engine do this as well?

The GBA port can! Wink, wink!

Wait, I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud.

my suggestion for adding anything is that HCl or Thomas Bruckner or somebody who is able to do this:

modify the secretops (or prophecy) exe so that it is accessible from the command line, i mean: give as parameter a mission file and the user plays the mission, give as parameter a [don't know how it is called] file and a cutscene which tells the story is played. then you can code your own game and for the spacefight you can have the original secretops/prophecy engine. then you can also do things like wc2-like cutscenes (probably in flash, played by your main application) or even fmv sequences, you can create a simulator which can hold a unlimited number of missions. and and and. if you like my suggestions and need help, contact me :) i'd like to help with a wc mod. especially when it's one with the original wc game engine.

...thp

Hmm...SO does have fmv (pilot comms), and thanks to HCl divX patch (wich is already used in UE), you can import new fmv into it.

I think your memory's playing tricks on you, Wedge :p. Capships fire their turrets at the enemy capship's hull. If they hit a component, they do damage, but most of the time they don't hit it.

Hmmm. Has anybody ever tried to make an entire capship into a single component?

--Eder

Isn't that essentially what a corvette is in WCP/SO?

Capships fire their turrets at the enemy capship's hull. If they hit a component, they do damage, but most of the time they don't hit it.
No, I meant they still physically hit the capship, even if they don't cause any damage. So :p back to you. ;)

And nope, there was no word of the captured Kraken, which is a pity. However, the WCP guide (which I don't have) apparently talks about individual bugs being taken prisoner.
Really? Whoa... that'd be weird. I don't think it's 'official' since surely that story thread would or should have been carried throught to SO.

If all new fighters were introduced in UE2 then most would want there to be a degree of continuity in the trend of fighter changes during the games. The most obvious way of doing this (apart from improving statistics such as speed etc.) would be to give the ship rotating thrust pods for improved manuverability in one axis (like the vampire and panther). Is it currently possible to add rotating thrust pods to a fighter.

With the capship battles, is be any way of making it easier for capships to hit the components of other capships (such as making the bridge area larger)? The triple plasma cannons on the Plunkett class ships do plenty of damage if it was actually able to hip the components.

A capship consisting of just a component would work (in theory), and would be quite an interesting beast, really. It would work essentially just like any other capship, but torpedo aiming would be much easier, and the entire hull would look 'damaged' when the ship died. More interestingly, since there are components in WCP which are damageable by all guns (ie., the 'tower' components in the alien wormhole - too bad the AI programmers didn't take them into account :rolleyes:), it would be possible to create a "semi-corvette", damageable by both guns and torpedoes, and behaving like a normal capship rather than a fighter.

As for new fighters using rotational pods... well, considering that only two Confed fighters use these, I think the technology is still a bit limited. So, it's probably too expensive for the Border Worlds to use.

Really? Whoa... that'd be weird. I don't think it's 'official' since surely that story thread would or should have been carried throught to SO.
Well, anything in the Offical Guides is official :p. What's more, I think that the guide's writer would have needed to check with Origin first to write something like that. Of course, it probably doesn't matter... I mean, considering that the WCP team pretty much doesn't exist any more, chances are that a new WC game would go in a very different direction than the WCP creators intended.

A single component capship is a either a dead capship, a corvette (wich limits the turrets number, make the turrets invulnerable, and limit the number of "capships" to six per mission) or like those cutscene capships, wich are destructable only by mission code.

...the 'tower' components in the alien wormhole - too bad the AI programmers didn't take them into account...
You sure that wasn't their original intent? I think it makes sense for only a few gun shots to overload and 'kill' a cooling tower, since the wormhole itself already generated a massive amount of heat.

Well, anything in the Offical Guides is official.
Oh, you just said "guide", so I thought you were talking about a third party one.

I have an idea about the capship battles... but I don't know how easy it would be to implement.

What if we made a cutscene-mission crossover. We could script the capship movements (that way we could set them up in a position to fire at other capships' components), script the firing of weapons, but we couldn't script any destroy object functions (so the player would still have some control over the outcome). using lots of If statements, we could also control exactly what each capship does in a current situation (for example, tell it if a certain capship is destroyed, to stop firing, and move on to the next one in the program). We could even have the computer select random integers to determine which capship would be the next target. It would be an incredibly long code, and take forever to program... but I think it would be possible.

NOTE: I really don't know as I'm only in week 3 of my WCP Pascal training and I'm still a humble little composer ;)

Back