what is your fave.....

WC2 was great because of its great story! Blair's redemption for things he didnt do, a traitor brought to justice, the defeat of Thrakhath's plans. Brilliant!

WC2 was defiantly a great story, but for me it wasn't as cool as I played WC3 first, and by the time I played WC2 I knew everything that happened. That's why I do include it as my favorite, even though it was very very good.

Well, of course WC2 is the best. Excellent, excellent storyline. Excellent gameplay. Excellent everything. WC4 pales in comparison :).

I have to say that Prophecy in my opinion has the best gameplay, which IS due to being more technologically advanced, but at least i can tell how far away another ship is, especially capships because they arent just big sprites. But it is also because it is so close to WC1\2's gameplay that i like it so much.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
I think the story of WCIV would have cooler if instead of defecting to the Border Worlds, you stayed on the Lexington. Then you wouldn't know who you could and couldn't trust, and maybe even freinds would betray you at some point.

Which would be an awfull lot like WC2 or SO2, with everyone trying to figure out who the traitor to the cause is. Still, I would have loved to played the kind of alternate track described in the 7th disk gags, where you stay with Confed to the bitter end, and only realise what's happening when it's far to late...

Best, Raptor

My favorite is still the original WC.

I played it first on my Amiga 500. You know, 16 color graphics and in a hard dogfight you had 2-3 fps - like a slide show. Actually the frame rate was only okay when you had no enemies visible on the screen. But who cares - it was still the best space-sim I'v ever played.

And don't forget about the branching mission tree - the only WC-game that really had one - loosing the war but surviving it...that's what made WC feel real.

Hard choice between WC1 and WC2 for me. WC2 had those awEsome, really awesome cutscenes (especially with the speech pack) and story and, ach, it was almost perfect. But I missed the promotions and medals from WC1. I can't decide,
So WC1 and WC2 are both my number ones.
Priv1 follows and then WC4.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
WC2 had those awEsome, really awesome cutscenes (especially with the speech pack) (...)
Too bad the only "spoken" cutscenes are the intro ones... :(

No, there's one or two spoken cutscenes later in the game as well. IIRC, "Khasra! I have heard enough about Khasra!" was spoken - but then again, it could have just been my imagination ;).

Actually, for gameplay, I like WC3 and WC4 the best ... WCP didn't have enough variation or surprises IMO, just lots of "Defend X" and "Destroy Y." No nebulae, no stealth, no planetary missions, very few "choose your destiny" situations, etc. (The only ones I can remember are choosing between the bomber or the interceptor at one point, and choosing to either kill cats and watch Hawk die, or not kill cats and hear about Hawk's death later.)

WC1, 2, and Priv were fun to play, but the asteroids sucked and were everywhere. ;)

However, for storyline and general coolness of "look and feel," WC1 and the Secret Missions blow the rest of the series away. Those moody oranges, that stark red, the Captain looking out of the viewports thoughtfully before speaking to you, the subtle pathos of a leaky pipe dripping in the crew quarters ... just awesome. I still pull out "Claw Marks" and read it for pleasure, which I don't generally do with "Victory Streak."

HOWEVER,: For overall coolness of concept, I'd like to give Privateer an honorable mention. "Traveller" meets Han Solo, set in a universe cooler than both of those. What's not to like? The only problem with Privateer was that there wasn't anything near _enough_ of it. Just when you feel like you're starting to really get going, the story's over ... and Righteous Fire, while a pleasant add on, is a bit weak storywise.

OTOH, I've never played Privateer 2, because I was under the impression that it wasn't set in the Wing Commander universe. Am I misinformed? If so, it's time to hit eBay...

-The Gneech

P2 either being set in WCU or not is a very contentious issue here. According to Origin's chat with LOAF that was posted somewhere around here, they are IN the same universe, but have no contact with OUR Confederation.

I guess an analogy would be Vulcans and Romulans being the same genetic stock, but their paths diverged.

Originally posted by Quarto
No, there's one or two spoken cutscenes later in the game as well. IIRC, "Khasra! I have heard enough about Khasra!" was spoken - but then again, it could have just been my imagination ;).

No, you're absolutely right. It's my favourite cutscene in WC2.

No, wait... . I am not sure anymore if it was spoken even without the speech pack.
But with speech pack absolutely.

And not to forget "You speak treason, Khasra!" :)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 07-03-2001 at 05:13]

WC4 is best, if it would work. WC2 is still
good and in those times it were something far more.
I started just play WC2 agan and it rocks still. Still
its quite diffrent in P200 than in 25mhz 386...
Movie style games were born after WC2, still its like some hollywood action movie when Blair decides
"Sparky, the mission outline has been changed. Load my
Sabre with torpedos.."

I didn´t like WCP beacuse bugs were ripped form B5 and
the plot wasn´t really much... Even HTL has better story
than WCP

Originally posted by Rami Sihvo
I didn´t like WCP beacuse bugs were ripped form B5 and
the plot wasn´t really much... Even HTL has better story
than WCP

Vice versa -- Thirdspace was made *after* WCP.

Originally posted by Quarto
No, there's one or two spoken cutscenes later in the game as well. IIRC, "Khasra! I have heard enough about Khasra!" was spoken (...)
Yes, you're probably right...

Thought I would have liked ALL the cutscenes being spoken... :)
Ah well, I didn't like Tolwyn's and Blair's voice anyway, to the contrary of the Kilrathi voices, which are just plain awesome! :cool:

I can do a fairly good WC2 Kilrathi/Dr. Claw voice. I actually sound a lot like that other Kilrath guy in the WC2 cutscene who's talking to Thrakhath (Melek?) when I do the voice.

Back