What is the Space Force?

infinite

Spaceman
Why is the Confed forces branched into a navy and a space force? What's their definition? What makes the difference between TCS and TCN ships?

They're always talking about "the academy", are they referring to the space force academy? Does the navy have its own academy as well, and if so is this ever mentioned anywhere in the games/novels?

Oh yeah, I'm new here, btw. So watch out.

infinite

To add upon the confusion, how come Blair was transfered to the navy, under the rank of Commodore, while the polots on the midway themselves use the the standard space force/army;air force rankings?

I heard rumors once that Blair was involved with R&D. Maybe he was part of a navy research and development team stationed aboard the Midway?

I believe Navy is related to capital ships only, space forces are the people who fun and fly the fighters, etc. Kind of like how the US has the Navy and the Air Force.

I thought the Marines were the ones who flew naval aircraft for the US and that the Air Force was completely different.

Marines have pilots. Army has pilots. Airforce has tons of pilots. And, the navy has "Naval Aviators", which are basically a more cocky version of a regular pilot.

You'll notice that, in Action Stations, all the pilots are navy. I'm assuming that, sometime shortly after the start of the war, the Space Force (similar to the air force) was developed specifically for piloting, while the line (navy) fell into command roles solely.

The navy already existed. From what Overmortal is saying, the space forces was created later.

There are many reasons why it could exist, all of which I do not know. Perhaps it has to do with quite possibly, their size and scope which can dictate how they're managed. My guess is that's why the US has a navy, an army, the Marines, and an air force, when Canada has the Armed Forces.

As the war dragged on, production and recruitment probably increased to help the war effort, and so the number of fighters and pilots drastically increased. The navy probably split the capital ship and fighter personnel for easier management and control perhaps?

My bet would be that the Space Forces always existed -- but circa Action Stations they were the 'ground based' space... forces. Since the Navy wasn't set up to fight a carrier war, they eventually made up for their imbalance by absorbing a good amount of the SF's forces... eventually (around, lets say, April 2654:)) they switched over to having Space Forces only fighter wings.

I still think my theory holds water . . though, I agree that, as loaf said, it's possible that the SF existed prior to the war. Upon further thought, it may be that the SF is the natural evolution of the AF, and it just turned out that the Navy, upon switching to a carrier-based strategy, pulled all of its members into line-only positions, and the SF stepped up to supply fliers exclusively. I think it would have happened, though, less than ten years after the start of the war. I'm guessing it probably happened about the time or shortly after our first torpedo capable ships (or variants) came about, and carriers became major players in the effort, thus making fliers much more neccessary in larger numbers.

Cam said:
The navy already existed. From what Overmortal is saying, the space forces was created later...
Hey, kinda like how, in WW2, the U.S. "Army Air Corps" became the USAF...

The SF doesn't exclusively supply fliers, they also have transport vessels etc. It seems like all fighter pilots are with the SF, and that the navy is in command of all SF ships, personell and operations (btw this means that you can flush all parallells you have drawn between them and the US navy and air force, which as far as I know are two totally separate military branches).

Having said that, I agree with hypermortal that the term "space force" would seem to be derived from "air force".

BTW, there are still Navy pilots as late as End Run and Fleet Action. Jason Bondarevsky was Navy rather than Space Force.

Best, Raptor

During WWI the British had the Royal Flying Corps (part of the Army) and the Naval Air Service, in the last year of the war, both services were merged to form the Royal Air Force. The Royal Navy still has a Pilot Service (the Fleet Air Arm) and the Army has the Army Air Corps.

TCS = Terran Confederation Ship, TCN = Terran Confedation Navy, but also Terran Confederation News

infinite said:
I heard rumors once that Blair was involved with R&D. Maybe he was part of a navy research and development team stationed aboard the Midway?

Actually Blair was on the team that designed the Midway class of carriers. It was his idea to combine the support-craft functions such as onboard science labs and a Marine company with the carrier role to create an all-in-one vessel that would be cheaper and easier to defend than having separate vessels.

The SF doesn't exclusively supply fliers, they also have transport vessels etc

Space Forces pilots fly transports -- apparently they act like big fighters rather than capital ships. Blair even 'historically' spent one series of WC1 missions flying a Drayman...

BTW, there are still Navy pilots as late as End Run and Fleet Action. Jason Bondarevsky was Navy rather than Space Force.

That's a bit of a red herring -- since Jason had a Space Forces rank when he was introduced in Special Ops 2.

Back