Well...

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
Anyhoo, I just received an email from TC giving me 100MB of webspace to store my music (Again, thanks TC! ), which means I`ll be able to start uploading music again.

Oh goody! :D

Okay, well nomral algebra maybe. But knowing what kind of numbers make a straight line and a curving line? What's the point?

A single-variable function of degree zero or one is a straight line.
A single-variable function of degree two or higher (or below zero) is a curving line.

[Edited by Ziggy2 Stardust on 11-18-2000 at 20:25]

But Ziggy is actually Tre in disguise, and Tre's a computer science supergenius. So he probably does know what those things mean.

Heh. Same thread, same minute. It's interesting how often that happens, considering that the odds for it must be pretty low :).

Curves...

And you get all those different curves by combining different variables in different degrees. It's also quite easy to assemble a poly that will make a HP Poly solver go dumbfounded. :)

I just want to show off how smart I am

Proof of the post I made earlier:

By taking the first derivative of a function of degree zero or one with respect to the whichever value the function is evaluated at (usually x or t) you get either constant value. For a function of degree zero you get zero. For a function of degree one, you get the slope of the straight line. Because this is constant, the slope of the function at any value of the variable is the same, so the graph of the function rises (or falls) at the same rate.

For a function of a degree above one or below zero however, the first derivative is going to be either a function of degree one or higher, a function of a negative degree, or a natural logarithm (the case if the degree of the original function was -1) Because of this, the slope of the original function is going to vary as the value of the abscissa changes so the graph is going to curve.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
(I won't bother going into any trig functions or any other non-algebraic stuff)

[Edited by Ziggy2 Stardust on 11-18-2000 at 21:02]

Oh boy, It looks like I've set the bait right... :)

Talking seriously, I don't remember jack **** about my calculus and physics classes, and besides that, I don't know the english translation for much of the calculus and physics mumbo jumbo I learned and forgot, so excuuuuse me. :D

[Edited by klaus on 11-19-2000 at 17:49]

Back