Well...

Originally posted by Meson
klaus, you are wrong as usual. :)

Well, ds/dt is instantaneous velocity and dv/dt is instantaneous acceleration. Isn't that what klaus said more or less? Well, ok, he missed the instantaneous part ...

Originally posted by steampunk
Originally posted by Meson
klaus, you are wrong as usual. :)

Well, ds/dt is instantaneous velocity and dv/dt is instantaneous acceleration. Isn't that what klaus said more or less? Well, ok, he missed the instantaneous part ...

the derivative of displacement is is velocity and NOT speed as klaus has said. and acceleration IS NOT the derivative of the speed. It's the derivative of velocity.

BTW, speed is the derivative of the distance, for all you stupid poeple out there. :)

Originally posted by Ziggy2 Stardust
A single-variable function of degree zero or one is a straight line.
A single-variable function of degree two or higher (or below zero) is a curving line.

I have to add to that. A multiple varible function with a degree of 1 will be a strait line, and a funtion with a degree of 2 will be a parabola IIRC. A multiple varible function with a degree of three or higher will curve up and back down and may repeat depending on the degree. :) sorry, just we're going over this stuff in Pre-Cal right now, so I'm kinda into it. :)

[Edited by Knight on 11-26-2000 at 00:51]

Oooh, how fun! Reminds me of all the fun graphing in high school maths. Dunno if that should be deemed sarcastic, cos maths at uni sux for me, and I'm only at first-year level. Albeit in an advanced course, but it's still not fun. Must be the lecturers...

Quarto: Well said. Thankfully I'm heading straight into courses requiring essays. At last when I answer an exam paper I'll know what I'm talking about :)

Originally posted by Knight
I have to add to that. A multiple varible function with a degree of 1 will be a strait line, and a funtion with a degree of 2 will be a parabola IIRC. A multiple varible function with a degree of three or higher will curve up and back down and may repeat depending on the degree. :) sorry, just we're going over this stuff in Pre-Cal right now, so I'm kinda into it. :)

[Edited by Knight on 11-26-2000 at 00:51]

ok, correction, a single varible equation will be a strait line, but it will bisect the quadrants of a graph, i.e. x=y will look like / on a graph. Was re-reading that and realized that.

Essays are much better than having to do maths, Penguin... but you must remember to start writing them at least a week before they're due. I had a 3000 word essay due at 0900 this morning, in fact... so I finished it around 0800, after working through the night since 0030.

Quarto: Yeah. I've done that a few times myself. Its not so bad, depending on whether or not you're on a roll, that is. Anyways the worst thing about essays is to get off subject - stings worse than losing to Jazz - particularly since you usually think you've done well & then you get your mark & :eek: :(

Unfortunately for me I'm better at the maths than the essays. :p
I'm terrified by essays. :eek:

[Edited by klaus on 11-27-2000 at 20:33]

I find that in general, the less time you have, the better you work, Penguin. Unfortunately, this effect is usually balanced out by the negative effects of sleep deprivation and, of course, subject overdose.
Going off-topic isn't really that much of a problem for me any more (but I'd better be careful what I say, since it usually turns out to be completely unexpected ;)). I've learned the hard way :).

Quarto: Yeah that's true. However I make up for the sleep by hitting the bunk early - most assignments are due on Fridays anyways so I just sleep in on Saturdays. As for the overdose - if its a subject I like, bring on the overdose. If its a subject I don't like I end up usually forgetting most of the stuff in short order anyway.
As for the topic drift I've learned that the hard way too.

klaus: I'm quite aware that we all have our strengths & weaknesses but there's nothing scary about essays. They have a beginning, a middle & an end. The beginning is usually 1-3 sentences that generally explain what you're on about. The middle is where you present your argument, flavored with a few quotes. Pretty easy - just state what you think. And finally the end is your conclusion - a summary of you've just said & your final thoughts on the matter.
Be clear, use paragraphs, try to keep spelling mistakes minimal, have at least 3 quotes/real examples & you'll do fine. :)

Heh, the WC CIC CZ school of thought...

I must admit, I favour sciency/maths subjects cos they tend to have more black/white answers, rather than fuzzy grey in english/economics, etc. At least that was the case for me in high school. Now...

Yeah, well, this last assignment of mine was due on 0900 monday... so I had no weekend, since I also had a few other things to do. Ah, well. Sleeping it off on monday was a great excuse to miss the most boring class ever invented... management <shudder>.

Hmm... a few quotes? What exactly are you studying?

Yeah, well that's funny cos a couple o' weeks back in economics, the lecturer said that the only reason there are managers is because of the natural tendency to bludge when the good/service provided is a team effort. So who's keeping the managers in check?

More managers... to create one managerial position is to create a whole chain of 'em. You know why? Because they breed!

Back