WCM movie ships

I'm writing a story now (non-WC, but similar), and my fighter names are... well, pretty dull. I got the Asp, the Bengal, and the Wolverine for my main fighters. Boring, eh? :)

try getting a translation dictionary (eg, english-russian) and use the forign names. they oftentimes can sound pretty good even if they are boring when translated :)

Originally posted by $tormin
try getting a translation dictionary (eg, english-russian) and use the forign names. they oftentimes can sound pretty good even if they are boring when translated :)

Case in point: The Spanish word "trampador"--as in the "TCS Trampador"
Translation?: Cheater

Originally posted by Preacher

Case in point: The Spanish word "trampador"--as in the "TCS Trampador"
Translation?: Cheater

Trampador is not a Spanish word, buy I think the were tring to say ATRAPADOR tha mean TRAPER, OR TAKER, Trapador is a verb of Atrapar

Atrapar is to take, to catch someting

but Trampador..... Is a word that not exist on SPanish Diccionares.

I'm A Spanish Speacker... so I hope you beleave me

Originally posted by Ghost
The exact translation of Cheater is Tramposo.

Well, actually, as with English, there are regional variations in how Spanish is spoken. Tramposo is how it is translated in some dictionaries. However, my best friend is an American-born Cuban who has traveled to several other countries in Latin America, and he gave me "Trampador" as the most common rendering across Latin America of the English "cheater".

Originally posted by Wedge009
(...)

But twice as fun! I've always wondered why Maul bothered having a double-ended lightsabre, when two singles would have much more devastating. Of course, you'd need a fair bit of arm strength.

I always thought that the problem why lightsabres are so difficult to master are because they are so light. So no need for arm strength when using lightsabres.
For metal swords on the other hand... ;)

I dunno, Staffs are a fair deal cooler than just wielding two swords imo, if they're used properly. Besides, If you're not careful with two swords (or lightsabres), you'll just end up slicing yourself up...
Some strength is required when using them, for when the two hit. I'd hate to have to try take someone on with only one arm, the other tied behind my back... It would be a lot like that, having to hold two lightsabers that is.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

I always thought that the problem why lightsabres are so difficult to master are because they are so light. So no need for arm strength when using lightsabres.
For metal swords on the other hand... ;)

And the center of gravity is in the middle of the handle not in the middle of all the sabre.

Originally posted by Preacher

Well, actually, as with English, there are regional variations in how Spanish is spoken. Tramposo is how it is translated in some dictionaries. However, my best friend is an American-born Cuban who has traveled to several other countries in Latin America, and he gave me "Trampador" as the most common rendering across Latin America of the English "cheater".

Cheater = Tramposo, truquero, alguien que le gusta haer trampa (someone how like to cheat).

ok I think i made some little mistake on the first atemp, but Ghost is right, a little interpretation mistake. :D

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

For metal swords on the other hand... ;-)
Hey I never thought of that, and it makes a lot of sense! :)

Though I wonder... because when they actually shoot the scenes, they use sticks, and then the laser beam is added in post production...
Would a stick be as light as a light saber? :)

The sword has long been considered the most effective hand to hand weapon ever made, as such the staff is not better

I think most weapons have their advantages and disadvantages.
e.g. a Katana is probably the finest cutting blade ever made, but a heavy axe might prove more effective against a guy in full-plate armor. So any battle would really come down to the skill of the user with their particular weapon and the circumstances.

but overall people consider the sword to be the most effective weapon. Like if they rated weapons on against all sorts of things, overall the sword would do the best, now which sword is the question. In my mind there are 3 types of swords which are the best when used with the correct tactics:
1. Samuri sword
2. Cavalry style Rapier
3. Roman short sword (when used with the correct tactics, in the hands of a trained legionaire this sword could not be beaten)

Originally posted by Napoleon
but overall people consider the sword to be the most effective weapon. Like if they rated weapons on against all sorts of things, overall the sword would do the best,

Who are these 'people' and why don't they use firearms?

now which sword is the question. In my mind there are 3 types of swords which are the best when used with the correct tactics:
1. Samuri sword
2. Cavalry style Rapier
3. Roman short sword (when used with the correct tactics, in the hands of a trained legionaire this sword could not be beaten)

A short sword could be beaten. Anything can be beaten... but generally using a spear or trident against a Roman swordsman would cause real problems.

TC

Nap :

Well, not to be too picky, but that statement is very broad. If you want to be general then yes, I agree that a sword is in general my personal pick the best melee weapon. It is, after all, a sharp edge designed to be swung and cut something that doesn't operate well in two pieces (i.e. a body).

However, the type of weapon would depend upon the circumstances.
A cutting sword, like the Katana, would be my first choice against lightly armored foes (e.g. Samurai in bamboo armor). Against a steel-armored knight, the katana is more likely to bounce or slide off, rather then cut through, so I would change my preference to a piercing weapon like a falx (yes, it's a sword), heavy broadsword, axe or a mace that would crush my opponent to strawberry jam pre-packaged in its own tin. The Roman short sword is designed for stabbing in close quarters and very effective when combined with a large shield, and a lot of others legionaires in close formation.

As I said earlier, every weapon has its advantages and disadvantages. If it had no advantages, it wouldn't be used. Often that advantage was simply that it could be made cheaply and easily, or was available to peasants, whereas a sword was a custom-built fighting weapon with one purpose only. Still, in a one-on-one fight it really comes down to who is the master of their particular weapon. I'm sure there are skilled masters of the staff, spear etc. who could defeat most swordsmen, and vice versa.

Back