WCIV "specials"

Yeah -- but there's technically nothing preventing a game company from putting sex in their games...

Surely that's the reason why a nymph in a german version game looks like a true nymph and in a US version wears a bikini. :)

Respectfully,
Eleazar

That's because you can sell a game to a lot wider audience if it doesn't deviate from the socially accepted norm...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
That's because you can sell a game to a lot wider audience if it doesn't deviate from the socially accepted norm...

...and you won't get ripped apart by a group of puritanical ragers...

***so we all have our historical backgrounds***

Respectfully,
Eleazar

Anyway, there's no large government-type oversight group that *prevents* nudity in computer games (as there is with violence in Germany) -- it's an optional thing that game designers have full control over.

Censorship is there for a reason... but in some cases it gets a bit ridiculous - it really is hard to judge censorship ratings for games. WCP in Australia was given the M15 rating for "Medium level violence" (below only MA15 and R18). That's just crazy, there's no blood or gore, the scariest thing I can imagine was the torture scene of Blair by the bugs. I always thought that was just Casey getting carried away with his thoughts anyway...

Originally posted by TC
There you have the line between the official and inofficial permission...

What the hell are you going on about? That made little to no sense.

TC

What I meant was that although germany has an official BPS, that has an eye on things like movies or games, the producers in the US have to worry about puritanical groups, which aren't common in germany.

Understandable now?

Respectfully,
Eleazar

That is only for movies and tv.
Games are considered "personal entertainment" and therefore the parents' groups don't care. At least int he U. S> amyway.

Hmm... I don't know how much parents care or don't care, but the media sure as hell does care ;).

Trust me, parents care plenty in the US. We all get a little worried if there isnt a senator somewhere denouncing the evils of some form of entertainment whether its movies, music, or games. It just wouldnt be normal. Of course the rest of us level headed individuals can tell the difference between reality and the things that are represented in our entertainment. We *know* we dont need to carry shotguns around with us because there isnt a Doom cyberdemon stalking the streets, and we arent going to do something becuase we heard about it in a song.

I think most parents care about their children far more than the media implies -- and that the social situation is far better, in reality, than the media would tell us...

My parents consider me sane enough to watch anything I want... their fault. ;)
I was even allowed to see thwe WC movie... :D

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-23-2001 at 11:49]

What is most annyoing with the BPjS is they censor everything, even the stuff that is for mature audience only.
I am an adult and still cannot get the uncensored version of movies, e.g. "Braindead" because it is not available in Germany or only through very complicated channels.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
What is most annyoing with the BPjS is they censor everything, even the stuff that is for mature audience only.
I am an adult and still cannot get the uncensored version of movies, e.g. "Braindead" because it is not available in Germany or only through very complicated channels.

Let's true, and it is getting even worse when looking at games like C+C Red Alert. The Intro scene with Hitler was cut, as it would have been (almost? not quite sure) illegal in Germany to show it. Another scene where a traitor is executed was also cut, I'd guess altogether 2-3 minutes (!) were left out.

One should also mention that in Germany, we have an USK (Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle = Entertainment Software Control), an institution which is rating games for being suitable for 6, 12, 16 or 18 year old persons. These ratings are sometimes rediculous: Warcraft 2 was rated as 16 above only!!!

Soldier of Fortune was 18+, however, it was still censored. Mekt is right that this is completely improper, adult only material does not need to be censored.

I'm just glad that I now live in Denmark. Here can 5 years old children buy Quake 3, Soldier of Fortune (!), C+C or Hitman without problems, the games are the uncensored international versions (English).

The fact that it is easy to get things sent from Denmark to Germany (no restrictions whatsoever, it is the free EU market) shows how rediculous the BPJS (Bundesprüfstelle für Jugendgefährdende Schriften = National Control Instance for Youth-threatening documents (hard to translate :))
is.

Just don't play Wolfenstein 3d in Germany, it is illegal due to the Nazi-signs, which are banned in Germany.

Back