WC4 ... Seventh Disc ???

You kids... <G>

December 8th was when Origin announced they'd ship Wing Commander IV... but that day, they posted a notice to their page saying that for reasons beyond their control it was delayed until February 12th.

There was much gnashing of teeth.

If only there was breaking of bones...then they would've gotten it completed faster.

Also, isn't it possible to have a first run to gametest. Get a test 'audience's' input? Like they have for some movies...

No, Origin doesn't do external beta testing (well, they do for their MMP titles... but they didn't back then).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You kids... <G>

December 8th was when Origin announced they'd ship Wing Commander IV... but that day, they posted a notice to their page saying that for reasons beyond their control it was delayed until February 12th.

There was much gnashing of teeth.

I don't believe it may be possible that any Origin Game is/was released in Germany before it's released in the U.S., but I could swear I bought WC4 in January '96 or at least in the first days of February, but I must admit that I can't remember that exactly since it was 5 years ago...
The only thing I know definitely is that I started playing it before Feb 26 since that day I had my last day at work (before leaving for 1 year to do the german "alternative service" for those men who don't want to serve in the german army) because I made a "presentation" of the game at work on that day:D

Further I have to admit that I got my first Modem/Internet connection in July 1996, so I didn't have the option to check for game releases on the net that time...

[Edited by Jochen on 03-27-2001 at 04:02]

What the bleep are you talking about, Meson?

From WC4 onward, Origin released WC games simultaenously internationally (except P2, which was published early in the UK).

Generally when something has a simultaenously international release, some stores get them fairly early with the understanding that there not supposed to place them on the shelves until the date of release. Not all stores honour that agreement. It's possible Jochen got his copy from one such store. Humm :confused: , I have no clue why I know that, as such be aware I could be wrong.

You kids... <G>
I see... back then there was no chance I could play WC3/4, so I didn't pay much attention to release dates and such. But I did drool over a 'Top 5' listing on the TV which had WC4 advertised there for several weeks.

What the bleep are you talking about, Meson?

From WC4 onward, Origin released WC games simultaenously internationally (except P2, which was published early in the UK).

Really? I didn't know that!

Furthermore, the disadvantage of this is that sometimes if you want to get the english version of a game that's pretty difficult because many german stores only sell the german version of a game if it's released simultaneously with the english version:(.

In the case of WC4, I bought the german version first, then, when I was through with it, I bought a "second hand" english version (some jokes simply can not be proper translated into german, so in most cases it's worth to watch the cutscenes in english, too)

Yeah, German translations are very often pretty bad. Ah, I remember the time when a German translation cost MORE than the English original. Now you have to pay up to 30 Marks more for the original version. :(

The other major problem with simultaneous releases is that the manuals must be written months in advance, so that they can be translated... this means that they can't have ship specs in them, as they're written *before* the design material is finalized.

That's why the WCIV and WCP manuals have only descriptions of the fighters and guns.

Grr. I'm sure we all miss the stats printed in the manual. As LOAF said, it appeals to the inner 'geek' in all of us. :)

FOUND IT!!! I found my friend from school and he showed me the CD's and there are in fect 7 disks. I ordered a digital camera off of Ebay and I'll email you the pic of the disks as soon as it arrives.
See? I'm not insane! Or maybe I am, I just blew $150 on a camera I'll never use...

Damned ebay,you go on thnking you might buy a cd or something and the next thing you know you've gone on a cd buying spry :mad:! I just hope I don't ever get in my a head to look for just one old game system on there :eek: , sega cd,Import saturn,3do oh my the possibilities are endless.

I would be willing to wager that if you find WC4 on 7 CDs, that it's a pirated copy... (not a home-made pirated copy... this was 1996... the sort of pirated copy you buy in Hong Kong).

Hmm... you didn't know FM Towns existed? There are Wing Commander games for that, you know.

TC

Back