WC4 ... Seventh Disc ???

RaVeN Lord

Spaceman
Some days ago I saw on a web site a guy that mention about a seventh cd of Wing Commander IV. Is there really a seventh disc that Origin never put it out on the streets ?! Or that guy is lunatic. He say that was downloading the file when reached 457 mb, his connection fell, and he never crossed again with that disc. It would be really cool if was true ... it's means we would have more NEW WC stuff to play ;) but ... the history is that Blair does not defect from Confed and he plays along with Tolwyn and Seether :( !!
But even that way I would like to grab that very rare disc ... if he exists anyway ...

That's an old, VERY old rumour. The reason people go on about the lengendary seventh disc is the extra slot in the wcIV case [I've got a privateer cd in mine]. It is interesting to speculate about the seventh disc, but as far as I can tell there is no such thing. Purhaps the packaging was finalized before the game, and seven was there estimate. Maybe loaf knows why it's there.

The 'seventh disc' has long been a rumor -- you're exactly right about the packaging... the original estimate was that the current game would fit seven CDs, but it ended up being six.

Back in 1996, people would post asking if they were missing the seventh disk -- so one AGWC poster wrote a long story about all the amazing things that were on the seventh disk as a joke... unfortunately, the general public didn't get it, and rumors of a 7th disc have been floating around ever since.

(The rumor can easily be discoutned by reading Origin's original script for WCIV, which they posted online years ago...)

The word "Legend" says it all ... it's shame anyhow because even that the 2nd history line and the end of that disc doesn't please me much, it would have been interesting playing some new stuff released by Origin ...

The rumors are true. There was a WC4 version with 7 CD's. I know this because I owned just such a copy. In fact when I bought WC4 for the second time after the copy "confiscated" my first copy I thought it was strange as hell that there where only 6 CD's in the box.
Raven Lord isn't the crack addict you thought he is, is he?:)
There wasn't anything extra on the extra CD...Maybe they just found a different way to compress the data more. And Loaf, I'm not making it up dude. I played WC4 over 3 dozen times in a row when I got it. My poor 486x75 worked it's heart out and even though the movies skipped I loved that game.
More abscure facts to come.:)

If when you say you're 'not' making it up, you mean that you *are* making it up, then you are correct!

(It was 1996 -- gold masters were very, very expensive... they didn't print a special run of WCIV for you...)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

(The rumor can easily be discoutned by reading Origin's original script for WCIV, which they posted online years ago...)

Where can I find it??? Please?

The original one? Or the one in the CIC files section? I'd love to get my hands on the original script myself if there was one available.

Maybe the 7th CD was there since compression technology wasnt as good when the original release came out? Then shortly after, they pressed up new releases with improved compression for the FMV's, hence they did not need the 7th CD? When I got WCIV it only had 6 CD's and an empty pouch in the case. Maybe this is why there were some with 7 CD's

RFBurns

There were none with seven CDs, the American release had an extra pouch.

The script available at the CIC is the shooting script of WCIV, which was posted to Origin's web site years ago.

[Insert tongue in cheek]
Wasn't the seventh CD the one which had the scene of
Blair with Melek's Kilrathi concubine?

Didn't it also have the scene from the bar where Blair
used a lightsaber to cut off Seether's arm? And the
original scenes from WC 4.12 whatever, when the nanobots
had a uhmmm... different effect from the final version
of the movie? :)

-- Brian P.

"Even a D- history student knows it is better to be the
hammer than the nail." -- Chuck Yeager

What a wide imagination pendell... ;)

How would you have shot Blair's scene with the Kilrathi concubine, mmmmmhh? :)

[Edited by mpanty on 03-05-2001 at 17:36]

Ha! I filmed the entire concubine scene myself, and to this day is still revered by CR as the best part of the game. :p

I kid of course. Grab a sense of humor! I figured the extra pouch was in there for some meager padding for the CD's at the back, while the front clear pouch had it for the front. I'm surprised there weren't rumors of an 8th CD...

The Legend of Seventh Disc
By Craig Lambert

------------------------------------------------------------

What happens, you ask, if I don't WANT to defect from Confed, even after being asked twice? The apocryphal answer is below, in reality as virtually true as can be imagined. The legendary "7th CD" carried out this path: perhaps someone somewhere lucky enough to have this rare disk can upload it to the net for your retrieval. I saw it once on talk.bermuda.triangle, but my connection went down after I'd gotten only 457 meg of the file.

Of course, you must hunt down Eisen and the Intrepid. Having escaped you in Silenos, the Lexington follows the Intrepid through the jump point into Orestes. You must fight past Hawk and Panther, each of whom challenges you, the "Heart of the Tiger" over the comm. Then as you approach the Intrepid, Maniac switches sides again, helping you and Seether destroy the Intrepid as Eisen broadcasts desperate pleas for assistance. Back on the Intrepid, Paulsen congratulates you with all his special charm, and remarks it looks like you'll soon have the chance to finish with an old foe. Seether, meanwhile gives Maniac a thumping, coldly mocking a cringing Maniac for his cowardice. He tells Paulsen not to punish Maniac for his initial defection: "He'll be more useful out there as a target for the Border Worlds scum to waste their shots on" Afterwards a chastened, battered and bleeding Maniac tells you that as soon as he'd landed on the Intrepid with Eisen he realized he'd made a huge mistake. "The captain was dead, most of the crew was breathing vacuum, the ship was a total wreck. No way the Maniac wasn't gonna bail that flying scrap yard first chance!"

Your next mission brief is to fly against the Kilrathi base in Pasqual. This time you get to hear Melek bitterly denounces you for your treachery and inconstancy as you toast him and his furry comrades inside their exploding base, defended by a mix of Kilrathi Dralthi and BW fighters. Admiral Tolwyn comes aboard the Lexington, bringing you reinforcements in the form of the new Dragon fighters, and he praises you for your destruction of Eisen and Melek. He urges you to work closely with Seether, saying "unimaginable" rewards are available for loyal service. It's a bit unclear if he means service to Confed or to him personally. He cuts short your qualms about flying in unmarked fighters (the Dragons). Clearly, you have blown it again with the prickly Admiral, who tells you to "wise up, Colonel, you only get so many chances to play for the winning team"

Next you fly in the Telamon system, defending the jumppoints from incoming BW forces as planet FT-957 is dusted with the Gen-Select weapon. From now on, all your missions will include an offer from BW forces for you to defect, doing so (after killing Seether & any other wingmen) will go to the losing endgame described below.

You land amidst a scene of chaos and carnage, burning and bodies and wrecked equipment. A harried woman identifying herself as Lt. Sosa greets you. "We could have used your help, Colonel "when it would have made a difference"

"The things I've seen!" you reply, "I have to stop those bastards! They don't care who they kill!"

"It's too late," Sosa replies, "We just sent out our surrender. There's no-one left to fight for."

There is a brief trial scene. You are shown nobly defending the values of freedom and the strength of the human spirit from the stand, vowing to "fight on until simple decency and the true honor of the warrior prevail." The final scene shows your corpse, entangled in barbed wire, dusty swirls of wind tugging at your hair as bored guards are heard discussing your fate, only their jackboots and the muzzles of their rifles visible. "Another worthless mutt trying to break out; saves us the trouble of feeding his useless mouth." "A flyer from the looks of those clothes." "Die in the sky, die in the dirt," the first guard replies, "the weak have to be taught their place sooner or later."

However, its still possible to win on this path. Tolwyn arrives with the Vesuvius, announcing that the main BW fleet has been run to ground, and you will lead the assault on Admiral Wilford's "pathetic" force of criminal insurgents. Its clear though that the Admiral favors Seether over you, and you understand that Seether's job is to see that you carry out Tolwyn's orders to the letter. First you must open a jumppoint, destroying 3 cap ships and some 24 fighters in 6 waves. The next mission sees you through into Circe for the climatic battle, destroying the assembled BW cruisers and carriers: you fly with a loadout including two flashpaks. After the battle is won, with the surviving BW forces surrendering, Seether orders you to destroy two fleeing transports, one of which has Sosa pleading for mercy over the comm, the other transport has Pliers cursing and reviling you. "Heart of the Tiger," he sneers, "at least the damn Pussys bothered to eat what they killed." Maniac goes crazy and begins firing wildly at all around him, and Seether quickly flames his ship, then deliberately blasts Maniac's escape pod, laughing and telling you he'll do the same to you if you don't follow his orders. Its possible to fight Seether at this point, and even kill him, but endless waves of fighters launch from the Vesuvius until you die, or eject, in which case you get an abbreviated version of the losing scenes. Should you go ahead and destroy the refugee transports, however, you go to this path's winning ending.

A guard is reporting to you, "Commandant Blair, Re-education Camp 34 detainee Transport reporting as ordered, sir. 200 prisoners died in transit, 75 prisoners are too sick to work and require "special" treatment." "Acknowledged" you reply, signing off on a proffered form. You watch the two files of dejected, slumping prisoners in torn and filthy clothing slowly shuffle through the gates of your camp. You see some faces. Is that Rollins? Could that emaciated woman with the hacking cough be Rachel? Fade out.

Oh well. At least it beats blowing up planets-full of sentient beings.

Craig A. Lambert All rights reserved, revered, and redundant.

This was what I readed only ... as a newbie I was just asking, since my case is case made only for 6 cd's, but since I live in Portugal, you never know, perhaps could exist in US, but after this I know not even in US.

That was a joke, posted to AGWC years and years ago in the heydey of "Where's the second disk???" and "WHy can't I stay with Confed???" madness.

Back