WC4 question

overmortal said:
Wasn't it Henry Ford that stated that any color looked good on a car, as long as that color happened to be black?

"An American can have their Model T in any color as long as it's Black"

McGruff said:
Hey, it's all new to me. I could'nt pick up a copy for $4.50 on ebay in '96.

I got a copy for $2.50. You got saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked.

i can't seem to be able to leech the lexington, is it a problem that i had previously defected to the Border Worlds? also i can't seem to switch my gun or my missiles on my WC4 game, i can on WC3 but not on 4.

also i have the Playstation versions if that makes a difference

Anxiety said:
also i have the Playstation versions if that makes a difference

I'm very sorry to hear that.

The standard PSX controls are uber-simplified for maximum gameplay with minimum load time (fifteen seconds to go from the mess hall to the berths adds up over the course of a game) and to reduce arthritis. If you have the instruction manual (PSX WC4 came with a couple) it shows the different button setups. If you switch the game settings around (automatic to manual), you can have more control over your game.

They may have cut the 'leech' scene from WCIV PSX - they had to kill a bunch of video segments to get it down to four CDs (PC version is six).

I always prefered to leech the lexington, although the first few times I played through I always destroyed it and was pretty shocked to see the alternate leech scene

You've got to give the ConFed pilots some credit.. They're thinking they're attacking heavily armed terrorists in their own territory.. What good (non-Black Lance) ConFed pilot could consciously go up against the Heart of the Tiger?

Besides, many of the pilots in WC4 were new, most of which didn't fight during the War. They don't know the true story of what's going in ConFed, and they're just following orders.

Leeching enemy fighters instead of killing them frequently breaks the game - since it doesn't know to spawn second waves when fighters are disabled instead of destroyed.

Yeah Tolwyn and the Black Lance did a good job of keeping confed from finding out what was happening. But for a large part of WC4, Blair is figthing pirates, mercs or black lance forces, not confed directly.

I liked fighting the pirates at the outset of WC4. It gave the quaint feeling of policing, rather than fighting a war.

Well it's easy to keep it quiet when you are the head of the SRA...

And in response to Dom, that was pretty cool, kinda brought me back to priv

You know, I was thinking about this . . .

Besides being a mid-90s WC Club that eventually got deep-6'ed, what exactly was the Strategic Readiness Agency? Was it a special task force that worked independently of the Space Force and the Navy (but commandeered any ships/fighters that it wanted), or was it just another name for the Confed Fleet that was stuck with protecting the frontier?

And since Tolwyn was the head of the SRA, he didn't have to answer to any other Confed Admirals and Generals, or even the highest-ranking Admiral in Confed? I think WC4 referred to him as a 4 star Admiral about to get promoted finally to Space Marshall, while the novels referred to him as a two-star Rear Admiral.

My take was always that the SRA was a post-war organization that was politically created to "guarantee this doesn't happen again" - to make sure Confed is ready for another war, instead of caught unprepared as was the case with the Kilrathi.

(And in that same vein, Tolwyn was appointed to head it politically... he wasn't technically in charge of the fleet, but the SRA has enough political backing to pretty much do whatever it wants with the fleet. I always figured he was a Rear Admiral, since that's all thats ever been specified...)

Back