WC4 Orchestrated

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
After this whole send up of the WC4 cut scene score, I'd like to point out something...

There is a fanproject going on called Project Majestic Mix. It's pretty much a few guys taking the fan's favorites from the Final Fantasy series and putting the songs to different arrangements, from Orchestral to Techno.

The Majestic Mix site is http://www.kfssstudios.com/music.php3

I think we, as fans, need to get a few things. Possibly bother Oldziey into giving us sheet music to his WC music.
I think we need to grab one or two people in the WC fandom that can read sheet music and have them arrange it...maybe we could get someone's high school band to play it? Even the scramble theme from WC3 would be easy...all it is is percussion and brass which is practically all HS bands are.

If we fans want an orchestrated peice, we need to obther Origin and see if they'll give us the rights and maybe 2% of money. Of course this'll cost money, you fool! Everything these days costs money, and the bill might be high, but we'll never know unless we give it a shot...

-J

Since no one can get the rights to the game source codes, I dont think it would be easy to get the music rights to reproduce the music. But anyone who can read sheet music could simply listen to the exsisting music out there and create a music sheet of them. But to republish for profit will require both the original music writter's permission plus EA/OSI permission. Wont be easy getting them behind it, maybe, maybe not. Id like to see a whole revamp of the complete music done with full orchestra, from WCI all the way thru WCPSO. Who knows, anything is possible tho! :)

RFB

Do you know how hard it is to listen to an orchestral piece, then write out parts for it? It is next to impossible unless your a professional........you would have to hire somebody to do it. And I don't think it would be cheap.

Also

A slightly more realistic goal would be to do a "Best of..." album first, then move on if it does well enough.
I think we should get Oldziey to do the sheet music and orchistration, since it is HIS work.

-J

Zor...

Um, not all THAT hard...

I know a few composers in the biz and I've read sheet music in the past...its just a matter of diligence (no pun intended)

-J

I think Zor is right, it's very hard to listen to a complex piece like those in Wing Commander and reproduce them accurately. If it was simple, ppl would have already done it!

I think its a good idea though, and there are programs out there (albeit not very good ones) that can read WAVs and compile a MIDI from them giving you some of the notes. It would provide a place to start.

and...

Well, Royal Marine at least has a good head on his shoulders. I agree with LOAF's and Marine's viewpoints. We should drop the big O a line and see what he says.

I don't think the WC score is really very complex, there's about 3 different sounds at once usually. David Arnold can do three seperate tempos and 2 seperate melodies at the same time...

-J

??? For ripping the WCIV movies, can you just have a dos window or do you need a full running dos bit?

PS yes I know this should be in tech support but it is too much work

Re: Zor...

Originally posted by LeHah
Um, not all THAT hard...

I know a few composers in the biz and I've read sheet music in the past...its just a matter of diligence (no pun intended)

-J

They are profesionals. I know people that do it too. But sitting and listening to a piece and trying to hear EVERYTHING that is played, and then figuring out each individual note takes patience, and a lot of time. And most of all, a good ear. Reading sheet music and transcribing a piece by ear are two completely different things. True masters of the art are the ones who can do this.

Originally posted by Napoleon
??? For ripping the WCIV movies, can you just have a dos window or do you need a full running dos bit?

PS yes I know this should be in tech support but it is too much work

yes just a dos window works. I had a couple open at a time.

Zor

Then, Zor, the answer is simple: We get a professional.

:)

-J

With all my babbling about music this and music that, I have to admit, that I have absolutly no knowledge in writing music, so as much as I`d love to help, the best I could do is help in editing the final WAV recordings.

If you need me, you know where to reach me...

pics

Ok, I dont know that many professional composers but heres the list:

Michael Giacchino - Did the Medal of Honor series for the PSX and is doing 3 upcoming MOH games for PC, PS2 and X-Box.

Zoe Poledouris - Daughter of Basil Poledouris (Robocop, Starship Troopers, Conan the Barbarian), did Cecil B. Demented and 2 songs in Starship Troopers. Also, shes really hot.

Eeckart Seeber - Only thing I know he did was Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder.

I'll see if I can't dig up Kevin Kiner's snail mail address.

-J

I don't really see what the goal here is. If you just want to have the sheet music to all the stuff in WC I don't really see how that would be much of a problem considering all the midis of it there are out there since midis are basically sheet music anyway. It sounds like having them played by an actual orchestra really is the goal and obviously the much harder of the two. I don't think the average high school would just play some random music that they have no copyright knowledge of. So I would have to say the best way is to contact Oldziey and see what he can do.

Copyright?

Copyright? We need no stinkin copyrights!

Isnt it simplier enough to shoot for non-profit? As in, we pay the orchestra, conductor, etc their nominal fees and thats it? Then just post the music on Napster?

Man, now I know what it feels to be Michael Collins and have your message diluted for profit :p

-J

Getting my hands dirty

Ok, since apparently no one is interested enough, I'm gonna get my hands dirty and start hasselin EA for permission of our most holy and sacred mission to make a WC ochestrated score.

I'm emailing them as we speak, since their copyright section said nothing about them literally owning the music to WC games (read: I'm an asshole :) ).

I've also dropped GOldziey a line, telling him of my intentions, just to keep him informed. I also asked him for whatever he has in the way of sheetmusic, etc. I hope he replies since a huge ammount of support could be rallied if we actually had him at our backs.

Loaf, Ace, do you know if Robert's has a new email addy? I had his old one at Digital Anvil, traded mail with him once and I'd like to see if he could make a slightly influental phone call to EA (read: (spoken like Jean Reno in "The Professional") give him the music, or I break your head).

-J

Update

For future reference, Robert's DA email account has been shut down, or changed.

Oldziey has replied, saying there's no sheet music for the Wing Commander (Never to be confused with ZERO WING, hee hee) score, but he still has the original MIDIs.

He also asked what fans would like to hear if he did do an orchestrated score. I've already said the openings of WC3 & 4, as well as the "finale" of WC4 (Confronting Tolwyn, War Averted, Tolwyn's Death) and a melody of his WC in-flight music, a seperate track for each game.

Any other ideas? Now that I look back on it, I'd like to throw in the scrambel/launch theme from WC 1&2, since it was the scramble theme from WC3.

-J

Back