WC4 DVD Problems

I have powerDVD5 and have no problems with the patch ( I can't remember which version of the patch I'm using though).

gulikoza said:
No, powerdvd filters will still crash...
It might be possible to force other filters if they are present and make it work with powerdvd installed, but it will still use it's filters if there are no others.

That was what I was refering to. I know that you made it work with my PC a while ago with PowerDVD installed. And yeah - that was using an additional alternate decoder. Which took additional work as PowerDVDs decoder had a very high priority IIRC.

I can't get the WC4 the price of freedom to work on my windows XP

Ok all which applications do I click on to download and then extract them in order to play the WC4 on my windows XP? I am so confused at all of this. Can someone either click me to one download that has everything for me instead of me having to extract 5,000,000 files just to play the game? Help me please because I have the game on CD that only runs in Windows 95 and it won't let me run it on my XP. Help me!!!

Thanks

Ok all which applications do I click on to download and then extract them in order to play the WC4 on my windows XP? I am so confused at all of this. Can someone either click me to one download that has everything for me instead of me having to extract 5,000,000 files just to play the game? Help me please because I have the game on CD that only runs in Windows 95 and it won't let me run it on my XP. Help me!!!

Thanks

If you're CD version is already the windows version, then right-click the installer, hit properties and set the compatability mode to either win95 or 98. Install the game and then repeat the steps for setting compatability mode on the games executable.

If you have the dos version, get the game installed first. You should be able to in dosbox or it might work in windows... Then apply the win95 patch found in the CIC's files section and set compatability mode as before. That should be all there is to it.

If you're CD version is already the windows version, then right-click the installer, hit properties and set the compatability mode to either win95 or 98. Install the game and then repeat the steps for setting compatability mode on the games executable.

If you have the dos version, get the game installed first. You should be able to in dosbox or it might work in windows... Then apply the win95 patch found in the CIC's files section and set compatability mode as before. That should be all there is to it.

ok so I changed the compatability, and then I set it up (SGA or VGA 16-Bit), Sound blaster, I was getting no sound at all, and half a screen of dots that looked like a little video and then words came up that said don't piss him off, and straighten him up, which kind of freaked me out thinking that the computer is coming to life haha! Ok so since I have my laptop or regular computer what else do I need to put in the properties (256 colors, check all the boxes too?) Please help!

Thanks

Other than that where is this game on the Playstation? Can I play it on the PS2 at all?

Other than that where is this game on the Playstation? Can I play it on the PS2 at all?[/QUOTE]

You can find WC3 or WC4 on eBay, and yes, they do play on a PS2.

ok so I changed the compatability, and then I set it up (SGA or VGA 16-Bit), Sound blaster, I was getting no sound at all, and half a screen of dots that looked like a little video and then words came up that said don't piss him off, and straighten him up, which kind of freaked me out thinking that the computer is coming to life haha! Ok so since I have my laptop or regular computer what else do I need to put in the properties (256 colors, check all the boxes too?) Please help!

Are you playing a DOS or Windows version? Try following the DOSBox tutorial in our Tech Support section or the Win95 patch in our Files section.

Thanks

Other than that where is this game on the Playstation? Can I play it on the PS2 at all?

Yeah, I can't tell from this whether or not you applied the patch. If you pressed escape, did it give you another dialogue choice? Does the first mission (the mock dogfight with maniac) load eventually? It could be some kind of incompatable video driver or video mode. What steps exactly were taken to install this?

I can’t seem to make my double-side DVD version working :( . I will post here all the procedure I’ve done:

First I put the WC IV DVD Side A in the DVD drive. Then I open the DVD and I double click the SETUP Launcher (or I just select AutoPlay or double click the DVD Drive).
I already tried selecting both the typical installation and the complete installation. Then I click finish (without installing Active X 5, though I already tried it too).
I unzip the dxmci13, copy the files inside and paste in the WC IV DVD folder replacing the old files with the new ones.
Then I turn on Windows 98/Windows ME compatibility mode in the Properties tab of the WC4 executable (Also tried Windows 95, W2000).

Always get the error: “WC4DVD has encountered a problem and needs to close”.

Hope anyone can help. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I unistalled Power DVD. Forgot to mention.

Probably I should post this in a separate thread…maybe is not very visible here?

This thread is fine. I've just been trying to think what might be the problem.

Each time you reinstalled the game, did you make sure to uninstall the old instalations first? Make sure it's completely removed before continuing. Once that is done, set the compatability mode of the setup/install program to win95 or 98 before installing just incase there's some unknown factor causing the game to crash. Make sure the exe for the game - once installed - is set for win95 or 98 compatability mode. Try the game before continuing.

If the game runs (you can play the spacefllight) but you get the "missing VOB" message then install Gulikoza's patch. If you all the sudded get the original crash message you will know it's a problem with the patch. If you get to see the into video and then it crashes, install the mpeg2dec filter. But I highly recomend testing the game before installing the video patch so you know that that isn't the problem.

Also, Gulikoza built some compatability settings into his latest patch version that you could experiment with. If none of this fixes the problem and you get the same crash before installing the dvd patch then you could try turning down or off your sound hardware acceleration in Control Panel. some newer DirectX settings and video driver conflict with old games.

Many thanks for trying to help :) . Well I did what you told in the 1st part (compatability mode set to Windows 98/ME). I get the "missing VOB" message but after pressing enter the game runs and I can select 2 answers then it goes to the spacefllight with Maniac like you said.

But then I extract the dxmci13 and cut the dxmci.dll; configure.dxmci; mpeg2.dll and the readme files and paste in the WC DVD4 folder. When I try the game the "start a new game - load game" screen, but when i choose "start new game" the error appears again.

I also tried the various option of the configure.dxmci with no luck.

Are you able to view the VOB files outside of the game? If you continue on in the game, do other movies play?

Are you able to view the VOB files outside of the game? If you continue on in the game, do other movies play?

Got exact the some problem. Yes, you can see the vobs outside.
The funny thing is that the error "missing vob" says that he misses
the vob file exactly where it is, just work on an other computer but
if I remember the error message is :

" Missing vob : E:\vob\sa.001.vob"

The funny think is that the file is exactly there.

Got exact the some problem. Yes, you can see the vobs outside.
The funny thing is that the error "missing vob" says that he misses
the vob file exactly where it is, just work on an other computer but
if I remember the error message is :

" Missing vob : E:\vob\sa.001.vob"

The funny think is that the file is exactly there.

It sounds like you didn't install Gulikozas patch quite right, or maybe that something in it got broken.

I's suggest a complete reinstall of the game. check the version number on the disk and download the apropriate patch. apply it to the game, set compatabilty mode to wc4dvd.exe and then see if what happens.

It sounds like you didn't install Gulikozas patch quite right, or maybe that something in it got broken.

I's suggest a complete reinstall of the game. check the version number on the disk and download the apropriate patch. apply it to the game, set compatabilty mode to wc4dvd.exe and then see if what happens.

Hello there and thanks for the answer anyway. I took some time and
made a complete re installation of XP to get a clean system. After that installed the WC4 DVD, switched on w98 mode and the game works without video. As I thought you could be right with a damaged file I downloaded the patch again and installed it like described ( its really not complicate ). Starting WC4 ends with the well known "WC4 causes a problem.......................". So I went through all possible modes in the patch, result the same. Checked the same with " Use different path" in the patch. result the same. Copied the vobs to different directions giong through all modes of the patch, result the same. Any idea left ? Could it be that the patch only works with some directx versions ? Or is it a problem that I got the german version of XP ( I am out of germany ) ? Some sides in the web talk about trouble if you got some programms like Nero installed, do somebody have more information ?

Hello there and thanks for the answer anyway. I took some time and
made a complete re installation of XP to get a clean system. After that installed the WC4 DVD, switched on w98 mode and the game works without video. As I thought you could be right with a damaged file I downloaded the patch again and installed it like described ( its really not complicate ). Starting WC4 ends with the well known "WC4 causes a problem.......................". So I went through all possible modes in the patch, result the same. Checked the same with " Use different path" in the patch. result the same. Copied the vobs to different directions giong through all modes of the patch, result the same. Any idea left ? Could it be that the patch only works with some directx versions ? Or is it a problem that I got the german version of XP ( I am out of germany ) ? Some sides in the web talk about trouble if you got some programms like Nero installed, do somebody have more information ?

Gulikoza's patch doesn't like cyberlink stuff much. Have you tried installing the mpeg2dec filter again since you reinstalled?

Also, would you mind specifying what hardware you are running this on?

Thank you very much for help!

I can only see the movies outside the game when i have Power DVD isntalled...other wise i can't...I unistalled it to try WC IV DVD. This way even when I install the mpeg patch i can't see them.

Oh! There is different patches according to versions? Didn't know that...My says Wing Commander IV 2.0 .

Oh! There is different patches according to versions? Didn't know that...My says Wing Commander IV 2.0 .

All the DVDs are version 2.0. From Gulikoza's page:

If your wc4dvd.exe is dated 25.9.1997 (size: 773.120 bytes), please download this alternate mpeg2.dll and overwrite the file that is in dxmci download archive.

Go to your dvd directory and right click on it and then properties to check the date.

Back