WC2 torpedo runs :(

tur1n

Spaceman
Hi! I'm playing WingCommander 2 for the first time. Unfortunately, the times when you could take on a Fralthi with a Hornet are pretty much over.
Whenever I have to kill a capital ship I rather die or Doomsday gets the kill.
So maybe you could give me some advice how you handle the big targets...

I always found flying at 150 towards the rear of a captital ship most helpful. Try and keep on target despite the flak and if it gets too heavy and your shields are giving in, move off to a safer distance and hold until your shields are back online than try again.

I would always just lock the torpedo outside of flak range, go to max speed, fire it off at about 4000 klicks and fly away again.

Keeping out of range like that doesn't work for Ralatha, they always seem to close the range, and they are very accurate with thier flak cannons, even at long range.

Plus you still have to get in close to fire the torpedo, or it will fly into the capships or base's fire, and detonate.

I never recall any trouble with Ralatha...they closed the range, but not quick enough that I didn't have a lock on them anyways... and like I said, 4000 klicks is good enough 99% of the time.

The only possible problem with a Ralatha is if you're in a Broadsword and it manages to get that AMG turret open on you more than once.

Erm... I thought Broadswords took a couple of animatter blasts and laughed in the Ralatha's face, then went to recharge and load up another torpedo?

There was only one mission where I had any issue w/ Broadsword torp runs, the first one you get... for some reason the flak cannon there always smacked me around. :s The rest... easy... but the final mission in SO1 (Ghorah Kar 2-D) in a sabre v. a pair of Fralthra... ach.

In WC2 the only thing I got pasted in more than a broadsword was the sabre of all things. I think it was just my illusion of being able to take alot more damage than I really could.

I never really had too much trouble with bombing runs, except for the K'Tithrak Mang. Though that was mostly due to damage sustained along the way to it I think.

The original plan for the K'tithrak Mang mission had the player attacking the station and two capital ships (a Ralatha and a Fralthra, IIRC) over the course of the mission... hence the crazy six torpedo loadout for your Sabre.

Bandit LOAF said:
The original plan for the K'tithrak Mang mission had the player attacking the station and two capital ships (a Ralatha and a Fralthra, IIRC) over the course of the mission... hence the crazy six torpedo loadout for your Sabre.

Nice info, thanks LOAF. And that would make the mission even harder. That Drakkhai
squad can be tought to beat!

now that i think of it, isn't that the case with the game anyway? i'm sure i've seen those two in the last mission before. didn't it depend on how you went in earlier missions? if you went well, you got a different enemy set up to fight as opposed to somethign different if you stuffed p a few missions before hand?

maybe i'm remembering something wrong

My only problem in the "K'tithrak Mang Mission" is the load of 8 or so Sartha. For whatever reason I suck at fighting them in a Sabre. Just like I suck at fighting Hhriss in a Rapier (I am even better in a Hornet?!)

Yeah, in some ways Sartha are more dangerous than heavier craft. They're like Epees, except they travel in packs, and have an amazing ability to roll out of your gunsights.

An Epee with neutron guns. Multiple Sarthas firing lots of neutron guns at you can be very dangerous.

Back