wc:m theme

TopGun said:
Is it me or can RougeBanshee not read?

I've had a 21 plus reading level since I was 5 actually.

I know the jump capable versions of these fighters exist. What I want to know is how did Blair tell that the fighters he was facing were the deck fighters and not the jump-capable versions? Do they read differently on scanners, is the hull design different, or was Blair just assuming that they were deck fighters?

Also if they can put a jump drive on pretty much any fighter why didn't the jump-capable fighters ever become standerd issue? Sure it might cost a little more but the advantage they would gain would more then outweigh that.

We don't know how because, once again, he doesn't tell us how. As we've already gone over several times, there's a million possible answers: maybe they look different, maybe common sense says they are, maybe his ships sensors reads them differently, maybe he knows that jump capable fighters are limited in their abilities somehow (maneuverability, payload, etc.) or maybe that they're more precious and so aren't deployed for anything but particular missions... maybe it's because he's the Wing Commander of the Lexington and knows that her Hellcat's don't have jump drives (that, at least, seems very very likely). These are all good answers, but you're clearly reading the same single sentence on the subject as the rest of us are and it just doesn't say.

And once again, we don't know why all fighters don't have jump drives, but there's almost certainly a good reason: in all likelyhood it's because a jump drive effects performance somehow (or maybe they're expensive or difficult to produce or difficult to maintain or something in that vein -- or all of the above). (We don't know that all fighters *can* have jump drives, either -- just a lot more than people generally assume.)

Back