Vesuvius and Star Destroyer Size?

Maj.Striker said:
My understanding of the SD are this...they are pretty much useless if the planet has a planetary shield....

Actually, a Star Destroyer can deply troops to go down and disable the Shield. Or call the for reinforcements.

Solo's career in the Empire has never been stated in a movie or a movie novelization, so it remains noncanon.

Check the official Lucasfilm website at http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/hansolo/?id=eu

If George Lucas says it on his own site, is it not canon?

Also, seeing as how the ISDs were not even called ISDs in ANH in 1979, it is easy to see what Han Solo is talking about. The only Imperial "starships" we had yet seen were two, very long, very wide, wedge type ships (later known as Star Destroyers).

No you can't count the website. The website says that the SSD is 19,000 meters. My Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, published by LucasBooks, says 8,000 meters. Then, my NEW Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels says 12,800 meters. So by my estimate, none of those are true. We just don't know becuase it was never stated in the movies.

Wow,

Lucas' own website is non-canon?

The website says that the SSD is 19,000 meters

I remember reading an internet debate on this topic. I think the resolution was that the SSD model was scaled for 17,600 meters. Many SW fans couldn't take the 5KM-8KM figures published by reference sources.

Dragon1 said:
Wow, Lucas' own website is non-canon?

Expanded Universe is specificly listed in its own section for each entry because its noncanon

Ahhh, I see.

So for SW, if it doesn't appear in the movies, than it is non-canon.

Do any of the novelizations count?

To clairify

Continuity and Production Editors at Lucasfilm In Star Wars Insider #23 said:
Gospel, or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelizations.

(If there is a variation between the film and the movie novelization, the film always takes prescedence over the other.)

Hehehe, and we complain about our poor movie. Imagine having to be part of the fandom that has to explain the Holiday Special.

Getting Back to The Original Question

Getting back to the original question at the heart of this whole thread. The original author had already stated a general understanding as to the comparitive sizes of capitol ships and was asking about the comparitive sizes of fighter craft. From various Canon and non Canon stuff here are some ideas of dimensions for fighter craft as listed by their Canon sources:

Tie Fighter - 6 meters long
Tie Interceptor - 6.2 meters long
X-wing Fighter - 7 meters long
BSG Viper - 8.8 meters long
B5 StarFury - 9.6 meters long
Macross VF-1S - 14.2 meters long
Star Trek Delta Flyer - 30 meters long
Modern F-15E - 19.6 meters long
WC Ferret - 10.2 meters long
WC Hornet - 20 meters long
WC Raptor - 36 meters long
WC BroadSword - 36 meters long
WC Arrow - 20 meters long
WC Excalibur - 26 meters long
WC Longbow - 38 meters long
WC Thunderbolt - 36 meters long

The problem is that a number of these just don't fit with what we see in the games and other things. The Wing Commander craft dimensions given in the books are simply TOO big compared to what we see in the games.
I actually, out of boredom, remeasured everything to try to get some better numbers. I used the images of Blair climbing into cockpits, sitting in cockpits, etc (and similar for pilots in other shows) and, using an average height of 5 foot 10 inches measured out some sizes which fit to what we observe against side view shots of the fighters to scale, counted by pixel number. Doing so I found that the Tie fighters were close to accurate, as was the Delta Flyer and the VF-1S.
Re-measured sizes by my estimation are closer to:

Xwing Fighter - 8 meters
Broadsword - 38.1 meters
Longbow - 28 meters
Raptor - 34 meters
Thunderbolt - 24 meters
Saber - 23.6 meters
Excalibur - 23 meters
Rapier I - 19.5 meters
Hornet - 19.5 meters
Hellcat - 19 meters
Rapier II - 19 meters
Scimitar - 17.8 meters
Ferret - 10 meters

Either way it is pretty clear that the Star Wars craft are by far the smallest fighters in the lineup. Quite an achievement to pack so much power into such compact units, with TIEs being just over half the length of even a small ferret

Bandit LOAF said:
Hehehe, and we complain about our poor movie. Imagine having to be part of the fandom that has to explain the Holiday Special.

Mark Hammill's just barely lived that one down. :D Still, no matter how bad people say the WC Movie was, we only had to deal with that and not the Holiday Special, or any of the romance scenes in Ep II, or Jar Jar in Ep I.

Haesslich said:
Mark Hammill's just barely lived that one down.

If anything, Harrison Ford has a harder time living it down considering he's gone on to have a bigger career.

(As an aside, the Holiday Special is not canon for obvious reasons of it being terrible and only aired once. The othet part is that it was a TV program, not a movie.)

LeHah said:
If anything, Harrison Ford has a harder time living it down considering he's gone on to have a bigger career.

(As an aside, the Holiday Special is not canon for obvious reasons of it being terrible and only aired once. The othet part is that it was a TV program, not a movie.)

Harrison Ford survived it better than Mark Hammill, though that's probably because he had the Indiana Jones role to fall back on with regards to public recognition. Mark Hammill's always been 'the guy from Star Wars', which would make it harder to live down that Star Wars mistake.

Still, the Holiday Special's where the Boonta Eve holiday comes from... and given THAT appeared in Episode I (remembering that it was the Boonta Eve Classic in which Anakin won his freedom), it's more canon than all of the EU is, since I don't recall much of anything else from that appearing in the main timeline - especially given how those novels described the Clone Wars, and how they really turned out in Episodes II-III and the Clone Wars TV project.

Haesslich said:
Mark Hammill's always been 'the guy from Star Wars', which would make it harder to live down that Star Wars mistake.

Granted - but Mark also got great reviews on broadway for the title character in Amadeus as well as the pesudo-classic war film The Big Red One, which just got a director's cut release this year. (I never cared for the film myself)

Haesslich said:
Still, the Holiday Special's where the Boonta Eve holiday comes from... and given THAT appeared in Episode I (remembering that it was the Boonta Eve Classic in which Anakin won his freedom), it's more canon than all of the EU is

Asinine. Boba Fett also appears in the Holiday Special before his (original) appearance in ESB, yet things like Life Day and Lumpy are never heard from again.

Haesslich said:
especially given how those novels described the Clone Wars, and how they really turned out in Episodes II-III and the Clone Wars TV project.

Actually, Lucasfilm has recently explained one of the major problems with the Thrawn Trilogy - namely the cloning technology. Apparently, the Empire "sold off the rights" or even outsourced the cloning from Kamino, which pissed them off enough to attempt a small clone rebellion which was quashed. (Though such things are EU and not canon)

I dunno, Rosie and Maniac were pretty sickening.

You've clearly never seen Carrie Fisher sing.

... or Bea Arthur dance.

... or an elderly Wookie jerk off.

I wish I was making those things up.

Still, the Holiday Special's where the Boonta Eve holiday comes from...

No, it isn't. You're thinking of an episode of Droids, which featured a "Boonta Race"... the holiday from the Holiday Special was "Life Day".

Asinine. Boba Fett also appears in the Holiday Special before his (original) appearance in ESB, yet things like Life Day and Lumpy are never heard from again.

Both continue to show up in the EU material. Lumpy has been retconned as "Lumpawaroo"... because that's so much better. They celebrate Life Day as an official Sony-sponsored event each year in Star Wars: Galaxies.

Bandit LOAF said:
They celebrate Life Day as an official Sony-sponsored event each year in Star Wars: Galaxies.

SW:G is an offically licensed item but its not canonized. (It is also a very awful idea)

Back