Vesuvius and Star Destroyer Size?

Please know that this is not an attempt to start a flame-war.

I read the Vesuvius Vs Star Destroyer closed post below; my question is -- how BIG are the Wing Commander ships next to the Starwars ships? All I can think of is that the Tie-Fighters are very small because the "ball" looks like it barely holds one man in a spacesuit. The cockpits of the Wing Commander fighters look small compared to the fighter length so this would make them a lot bigger, I think, is this also true for the X-wing and similar? How about the large ships? The Deathstar is probably bigger than anything in the WC-universe, but everything else?

I know there are plenty of blueprint specs and lengths on the Net but I cannot "see" a comparison. I downloaded some 3D models but they all are of different scale...

A Star Destroyer and the TCS Vesuvius are the same length (1,600 meters)

There's no need to make it a "vs" thread if you're just asking for two length measurements (and if it turned into a "vs" thread, it wouldn't be allowed).

http://www.merzo.net/ is the site you'd want, though I don't believe there are any Wing Commander ships there.

Well theres the H’varkann class Dreadnought which is supposed to be an unbelievable 22,000 metres long, to put that in perspective the Executor (that really BIG Star Destroyer) is 8000 metres long

this type of threat has been brought like many other 101 different types but then everyone likes a good debate which ship is better
If I made a choice to which ship is better...I would say the vesuvius and that ship would probably win 100 to 1

MajorCamKollent said:
There's the Eclipse-class Super Star Destroyer which is 18,000 metres long.

How about the ongoing size debate of the Executor SSD?

5 km (technical manual),

12.5 km (behind the scenes interviews and various sources including comic books)

or 17.6 km (the actual scale size of the model)

Dragon1 said:
Cool site. Has anyone petitioned for WC ships to be included?

Multiple times, as I understand things (for whatever that may be worth). The last time was... um, a while ago, maybe somewhere in the "year" range, I think.

Dahan said:
I would say the vesuvius and that ship would probably win 100 to 1

Going by the Star Wars Technical Manual - which has been sadly out of print for many years - a single Star Destroyer has the ability to level an entire planet in the span of 3 hours. That isn't to say the Vesuvius isn't powerful - but as far as turret capability, a Star Destroyer would win on sheer number alone.

(My question is now is said guide canon? It complements other guides I have with ship stats - The West End Games Star Wars RPG Sourcebook, for example - but thats non canon. The proof is in the pudding - the Mos Eisley sourcebook names the head Jawa "Mace Windu"!)

There's an existential problem with going on about Star Destroyers being able to wipe out entire planets -- if it were true, there'd be absolutely no point to anything that happens in the Star Wars movies.

Oh, no, we need to risk it all to stop their planet destroying Death Star... which is different than the average enemy destroyer... in that... it's slightly faster!

Good call.

I think people have a tendency to make the Star Destroyer the 'end all' of sci-fi space ships.

There's an existential problem with going on about Star Destroyers being able to wipe out entire planets -- if it were true, there'd be absolutely no point to anything that happens in the Star Wars movies

Thats a problem with almost all space based sci-fi, making ships and technologies too powerful,even wing commander which is thankfully pretty conservative on such things has a few problems with the issue like in End Run when Thrakath considers how much destruction would be wrought if the Tarawa launch a kamikaze style attack on the Imperial palace.

Bandit LOAF said:
There's an existential problem with going on about Star Destroyers being able to wipe out entire planets -- if it were true, there'd be absolutely no point to anything that happens in the Star Wars movies.

Personally, while it makes sense given the supposed dread that a Star Destroyer is suppose to give, I found it pretty silly that a ship a mere kilometer and a half long being able to lay waste to an entire planet so easily.

But as it were - arguging over such things is at best semantics and left for those damned to SpaceBattles and TheForce.net Forums.

Dragon1 said:
I think people have a tendency to make the Star Destroyer the 'end all' of sci-fi space ships.

Well, its a military warship. A great deal of sci-fi series like Star Trek tend to have less of an emphasis on military might unless its by some Deus Ex alien power ala Independence Day.

Personally, while it makes sense given the supposed dread that a Star Destroyer is suppose to give, I found it pretty silly that a ship a mere kilometer and a half long being able to lay waste to an entire planet so easily.

But as it were - arguging over such things is at best semantics and left for those damned to SpaceBattles and TheForce.net Forums.

Actually, I think it's something SpaceBattles is completely unable to do -- figuring out how their insistence on ships being as powerful as illogically possible effects the very soul of the story they claim to love in the first place.

Bandit LOAF said:
Actually, I think it's something SpaceBattles is completely unable to do -- figuring out how their insistence on ships being as powerful as illogically possible effects the very soul of the story they claim to love in the first place.

You just gave the whole reason why the "Expanded Universe" scenario and the vast, sweeping majority of Star Wars tie-ins are godawful.

Paddybhoy said:
Well theres the H’varkann class Dreadnought which is supposed to be an unbelievable 22,000 metres long, to put that in perspective the Executor (that really BIG Star Destroyer) is 8000 metres long

The Star Destroyer we see a lot is 1,600 meters, same length as the Vesuvius. The Executor size from what I have read is either 13 to 18 kilometers.

So - StarDestroyer = Vesuvius, and Kilrathi Supership = Vader Supership, in size? How about fighters?

( i am making a wallpaper now, there is this funny WC--SW story I saw on fanfiction.net and I want to make a wallpaper for it -- you said no vs. stuff so i will not link )

On the Jeff Russel site - are they legally able to use the wcnews.com/ships files?

geistklempnerin said:
( i am making a wallpaper now, there is this funny WC--SW story I saw on fanfiction.net and I want to make a wallpaper for it -- you said no vs. stuff so i will not link )

Linking to it elsewhere, in the context of a thread, is fine, as long as the Versus discussion doesn't come here.

Do keep in mind that some folks (including me) think the idea of crossover fanfic in general is a pretty dumb idea, however. Doubly so with WC/SW x-over fanfic, due to a certain former (?) WC Aces Club writer who perpetrated a rather ill-informed x-over, a long time ago. Guilt by association, I guess you could call it. :p

Back