UE won't work

You are right, when the Eisen arrives there is a short FMV with the Eisen jumping in (or out).
So if you changed the uomovies.tre that can be the crash reason.

I had already renamed uemovies.tre to "uemovies.bak" in order to play the FIRST mission :(
Maybe there's a separate movie file for the Eisen cutscene that I should rename?

no, it just plain crashes out (=the game freezes for 0.5 second, shuts down and sends me back to the Windows desktop), just like it was doing in the beginning of the game, before I renamed uemovies.tre.

I would assume that there's simply too many capships for your computer to handle... that mission does go a bit overboard in that regard. I have no idea what you can do about it, though - the Eisen animation isn't the problem (since it's obviously not being played), though.

The software mode is less stressful on the computer, but much more stressful on the game's internal structures. Software mode simply can't handle as much ad the D3D mode can.

Originally posted by Quarto
The software mode is less stressful on the computer, but much more stressful on the game's internal structures. Software mode simply can't handle as much ad the D3D mode can.

? Software mode is way more stressful for the engine and the PC. Only the graphic card can relax.
Definitely go D3D unless you got less then 4Mb memory on your graphic card.

Originally posted by Starkey
I finally figured out how to play UE on my machine (described in a previous post). I've renamed uemovies.tre AND uespeech.tre and the game doesn't crash anymore. I don't get to see the movies nor hear any plot-critical speech, but I am finally able to play the missions through the end.

New developments in my problem...

I downloaded the UE full version from Tyedyeboy.net. Then the above problem happened. Well, I thought it was because of my computer being slow, but apparently that´s not the reason.

I copied the UE and SO files into a CD and took them to my cousin´s house, in order to get the game playing with all the movies and speech. He has a K6 II 500, 64 Mb RAM, 8mb SiS on board video, on-board sound, etc..., so his computer ain´t slow at all to play the game.

However, I had the same problems in his computer and, in order to get the game running, I had to rename both uemovies.tre and uespeech.tre. It seems pretty obvious but I gotta ask: Do I have a problem with the install file and I need to download the movies and speech files separately, in order to get them working?

Thx.

Altough the micro seems good to play, the RAM and the video card are below the media to play it in a good way.

Originally posted by Starkey
However, I had the same problems in his computer and, in order to get the game running, I had to rename both uemovies.tre and uespeech.tre. It seems pretty obvious but I gotta ask: Do I have a problem with the install file and I need to download the movies and speech files separately, in order to get them working?
Hmm, I would think that if there was a problem with the install file, then it would have complained during the installation. Mind you, it may still be worth a try.

I can't get it to launch, I have Prophecy and Secret Ops installed.

When I try launching, the screen resolution changes, then goes back to my desktop res. After a few seconds a message pops up tat the program failed and asks if I wish to send an error report. (Win XP home edition.)

Secret Ops won't launch either.

Another error message informs me that I am missing glide2x.dll
I've got know idea what's going on there.

Originally posted by Ender
I can't get it to launch, I have Prophecy and Secret Ops installed.
When I try launching, the screen resolution changes, then goes back to my desktop res. After a few seconds a message pops up tat the program failed and asks if I wish to send an error report. (Win XP home edition.)

Turn on Win9x compatibility mode for the respective game executables as described in the UE launcher/in the UE FAQ.

A question to HCl

I'm still working on my movies.tre / speech.tre problem and I think I have a new clue.

I've downloaded HCl's movie viewer (v. 1.2a) and I can't run any UE movie in it, the viewer crashes in the same way the game does, reporting that "an error has occurred with the DivX.dll file".

Given that the same error happens on the two machines I use, a P166, 40Mb RAM, 8mb video and a K6-2 550, 56Mb Ram, 8Mb shared video, could it be a problem with the divx dll? If so, is there a newer version of that file and where can I download it?

Thanks.

p.s. Merry Christmas

That is because HCl´´s viewer doesn´t work with DivX files, like the UE ones, only works with the WC3-4-Prophecy ones (not DivX)

Hmm this is very strange... :( This problem never came up on either the UE beta testing or Movie Player beta testing, and i'm not really sure what the cause is. The latest version of the Movie Player (1.2a) *should* be able to play the UE movies without any difficulties.

The only 2 error messages that the code of the Movie Player (same one as the FMV patch UE uses) produces are "Error loading dll" (when the DLL isn't found or loaded properly) or "Error getting decore procedure address" (when the decore procedure isn't found on the DLL). If the error message that appears doesn't look exactly like one of these, the error is being generated somewhere else. Does the error message give any more information? What is your operating system? (98, XP?)

The divx DLL supplied with the player and UE are the same, and to the best of my knowledge, are working fine. Replacing the divx dll with another one isn't likely to help: the player and patch use the decore procedure on the DLL, which is fairly specific to the OpenDivX DLL, as i understand it (most other divx DLLs don't even export this procedure, and expect the programs to use DriverProc, which for the purpose of WCSO would add unnecessary overhead)... I could try statically linking the opendivx library instead of using a DLL: no guarantees it'd work, but if you're willing to try it i'll be glad to send you a version for testing by e-mail.

Do you have other divx dlls on your hard drive? Not that it should matter tho, as windows *should* look on the current directory for the DLL before anywhere else. Can't really think of anything else... but i will look carefully into the matter :)

Has anyone else been having the same problem btw?

Merry Christmas to all,

Mario

Originally posted by HCl
Does the error message give any more information? What is your operating system? (98, XP?)

I am running Windows 98 here. Mario, since you can understand this, I'll post the entire error message in Portuguese:

Este programa executou uma operação ilegal e será fechado. Se o problema persistir, entre em contato com o revendedor.
Detalhes:
WCMV executou uma instrução inválida no
módulo DIVX.DLL em 015f:0271576c.
Registros:
EAX=01300684 CS=015f EIP=0271576c EFLGS=00210216
EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=01a5f4e0 EBP=01a5f4e4
ECX=00000005 DS=0167 ESI=01300684 FS=3437
EDX=fffffff0 ES=0167 EDI=00000005 GS=0000
Bytes em CS:EIP:
0f ef c0 0f 7f 06 83 c6 08 42 75 f7 0f 77 5e 5d
Esvaziamento da pilha:
00000000 01a5f528 02711df6 01300684 00000005 00000000 00000000 01a5f51c 012ffe5c 00000001 02710de8 00000000 00000000 00000140 00000001 00f8bb70

Originally posted by HCl
I could try statically linking the opendivx library instead of using a DLL: no guarantees it'd work, but if you're willing to try it i'll be glad to send you a version for testing by e-mail.

Do you have other divx dlls on your hard drive? Not that it should matter tho, as windows *should* look on the current directory for the DLL before anywhere else. Can't really think of anything else... but i will look carefully into the matter :)

As for the test version, I'm willing to try it.

I don't have any other divx dlls on my hard drive. Just reminding that I am getting the same problem on two different machines (mine and my cousin's) running Win98, a P166 and a K6-2 550.

Thanks for the help.

I've also downloaded the new movie player recently, and I found that it worked perfectly with UE movies. I would be inclined to blame the machines - their common characteristic seems to be the relatively low amount of RAM and video card memory. Now, I have very little idea about this sort of thing, but it seems to me that memory would be fairly important when trying to play back a movie.

Low memory may also be an issue here... but the error message points something interesting: it's an invalid instruction error at an address where an MMX instruction is (the opendivx dll makes extensive use of MMX, apparently). This would make sense if the machine doesn't support MMX instructions... but the K6-2 should support MMX iirc, so it is strange that it also fails on that machine. Starkey, do you get the same error message on both computers? (invalid instruction at address 015f:0271576c ?) If they are slightly different, it would be useful to post both.

Mario

I posted the error message for the P166. I´ll try on the K6 and post another message here later.

> I would be inclined to blame the machines - their common characteristic seems to be the relatively low amount of RAM and video card memory

Hrm - don't think so. My XP1900/512MB/GF2U machine has the same crash problem on 10a. :(

> I've also downloaded the new movie player recently, and I found that it worked perfectly with UE movies.

link plz?

Back