UE won't work

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
I finally downloaded UE and installed it in the same folder as Secret Ops. However, it won't work...

It goes like this: when I start the game, the title screen appears, then the "downloading mission data" screen appears, then I hear ONE music chord, then the screen blacks out and the game crashes right out to the Windows desktop. (?)

One detail that might be relevant:
. When I try the 16-bit Direct3d mode, after the game crashes, a error message says that "WCUE has sent an invalid instruction to divx.dll" (in portuguese, so I don't know if "sent an invalid instruction" is the correct translation, but it's something like that).

. When I try the game in the Software mode, it just plain crashes out.

I have a P166, 40Mb RAM, a 8Mb PCI SiS 6326 videoboard, a Sound Blaster PCI 128, Windows 98, 2-button joystick, DirectX 7.0 and, most important, Secret Ops runs fine in my computer.

Help is appreciated. Thanx.

Try re installing DirectX, SO works now or worked before?, try again to see if SO works.
The divx.dll seems to be something related to the video-card or a DirectX thing, can be that 40 mb Ram isn´t too much to play UE?

Hmm... most likely, it is indeed the computer specs that are the problem. I don't know what is the precise problem, though. Probably memory, but the graphics card is also a possibility. Speed probably isn't an issue... the game should still work, just really badly :p.

He said the problem was given with divx .dll wouldn't that imply he had a problem running the movies? Surley a newly compiled set of missions (ie without telling the FMV to run) would be a solution.

Originally posted by Ghost
Try re installing DirectX, SO works now or worked before?

SO works now.

I will try to install a newer version of Directx tonight, then I´ll come back here and tell you if it works.

If it doesn´t, are there other possibilities? Could it be that "Graphics Acceleration" issue?

Originally posted by Quarto
Probably memory, but the graphics card is also a possibility. Speed probably isn't an issue... the game should still work, just really badly :p.

I don´t think so, I think that´s something I can work on with the hardware I´ve got. SO requires a P166 with 32Mb RAM, I´ve got 40Mb... About the videoboard, my SiS 6326 has 8Mb memory and handles Prophecy and SO perfectly in the Software and Direct3d modes...

I tend to suspect of memory as well: WCSO originally needs 32mb of RAM, however UE introduced so many modifications (larger asteroid fields for example require more memory, as well as extra buffers for divx videos, to name a few) that i believe you should need at least 64mb to run UE (128mb would probably be recommended). The divx error seems to support this, as the buffers it uses require quite a bit of memory, iirc.

UE is definitely not too kind with older machines :/

Mario

Why? If movies are the problem, it's just a matter of removing/renaming uemovies.tre.

Quarto wins the cookie!

Ghost: I´ve installed Directx 8.1 and it didn´t solve the problem. So what I did was trying Quarto´s suggestion.

Quarto: I renamed uemovies.tre to uemovies.bak and the game ran fine, without the movies, of course. I ran the game in the Software mode. I didn´t get to play a lot yesterday because I got the game running only at 1:00am and I had to sleep soon, in order to be conscious now at work :D I´ll try the Direct3d mode tonight.

So far, I am AMAZED with the graphics, specially with the Dauntless and the Epees (never thought I´d be so happy to fly that piece of junk). The music is also GREAT! I´ll post all my impressions when I log enough playing time.

However, the game locked up in the first mission I tried to play. I picked that "Destroy the Kilrathi base" sim mission and, as soon as I spotted those Salthis and started shooting them, the game froze and I had to turn off the computer. I didn´t try figuring out what happened because it was too late already, but I´ll try it again tonight.

I guess my computer will be the UE´s Official Troubleshooting Lab™, since it seems to barely meet the system requirements for the game. Let me know if you have any ideas on how to make the movies work. I´ll keep you posted on that new lock-up issue.

P.S. How much did Ghost pay to be in the Dauntless flight roster? :)

P.S.2. Are there a lot of Brazilians in those credits (Eder, Mario Brito & Friends) or it is just a lot of foreign guys who use Portuguese names, like Pedro? I know that Eder is Brazilian.

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Starkey
However, the game locked up in the first mission I tried to play. I picked that "Destroy the Kilrathi base" sim mission and, as soon as I spotted those Salthis and started shooting them, the game froze and I had to turn off the computer. I didn´t try figuring out what happened because it was too late already, but I´ll try it again tonight.
Hmm, that probably won't happen in D3D mode... probably :p.

P.S. How much did Ghost pay to be in the Dauntless flight roster?
I wish he did pay something, I could use the money :p. No, it's actually pure coincidence. It seemed like a neat callsign to use, and I didn't cross-check our callsigns with the CZ callsigns.

P.S.2. Are there a lot of Brazilians in those credits (Eder, Mario Brito & Friends) or it is just a lot of foreign guys who use Portuguese names, like Pedro? I know that Eder is Brazilian.
We have two Brazilians - Eder and KillerWave. Mario is Portuguese. There is also 15th Rampage, who has the same last name as Mario, but he's actually a Spanish-speaker, I believe, since he's from El Salvador.

Since I can´t play the game WITH the movies (yet :cool: ), is there any movie viewer I could use to watch the UE movies?

Starkey i think you problem will be fix if you but a TNT2 or a Geforce AGP Card, if you got a AGP por, or you just can buy a voodoo 3 PCI (they are cheap in price)

The music is also GREAT! I´ll post all my impressions when I log enough playing time.

I'm glad you like it. I eagerly await when you can give more of your impressions so I know exactly what it is I should keep doing (everyone's opinion in terms of music counts).

Needaham45

I do the same with all the music I do, I allwasys want to hear opiion, good onas and bad ones, the bad ones help you to improve a lot of thing, the good one, onlt help you Ego, :D j/k anywhay i stil insist that you manage to give that WC tought in you music

Hmm, that probably won't happen in D3D mode... probably :p.

No, it also happens in D3D :(. I think that all I need is a little better performance from my computer, since it can almost run the game well. Any ideas about how to tweak my configurations, free more memory, etc., in order to improve my gameplay?

So far, I am AMAZED with the graphics, specially with the Dauntless and the Epees (never thought I´d be so happy to fly that piece of junk).
Those were all made in Brazil, I'm glad you like them. :D

--Eder

Back