Tolwyn

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
This occurs on 2669.105.
A little whoopsy with the date? ;)

In the movie, the CS Iason is destroyed...
I don't recall an Iason in the movie, but then, I don't have the Handbook, so I have no opinion on the one/two Iason/s thing.

Leave the poor guy alone! He's always under the hammer. :)

However, what a stupid thing of the handbook to mention a CS Iason. God, it would be like naming another ship Titanic. Has anyone seen another Titanic? Not me.

I suppose the situations are a bit different, but how do you explain Captain Jedora Andropolous being the captain at BOTH of these events involving a ship named the Iason? To me that makes it the same event...unless of course there are two Captain Jedora Andropolous' that both command a ship named Iason a fews apart from each other, both meeting the same fate...

Iason was in the very first of WC Movie, whenever the Prez of the Confed was giving that speech. YOu can't really see it because of the map that it is seen through......

What are the chances of two captains, with the same name, same ship, running into the same species in the same millennium in the entire universe?

I think that ConFleet had their dates mixed up! :D

Considering the sheer size of the universe, and the fact that a millenium is plenty of time I'd say the chances are better than you'd think.

Maybe a Transdimensional-Chrono-portal anomaly comes to one of the Iason and with the flux-inverteron-anaphasic drive they make a jump to the unknown future...

I doubt it's a typo. Actually, since Captain Andropolous and Iason are used, it's probably SUPPOSED to be the same thing. But of course, it had to be screwed up as everything else related to the movie was.

Originally posted by Essex
Iason was in the very first of WC Movie, whenever the Prez of the Confed was giving that speech. YOu can't really see it because of the map that it is seen through......

Yeah, I would agree with that, but when you hear a male voice describing obviously a kilrathi ship (I think it was like "about XXX meters long, looks like...) another voice answering "Roger that, ..." and saying a name. I forgot what name it was (I will watch the movie again and check out), but it was not "Iason". Maybe it was one of the fighters of the Iason, but I don't know...

Originally posted by Ghost
Maybe a Transdimensional-Chrono-portal anomaly comes to one of the Iason and with the flux-inverteron-anaphasic drive they make a jump to the unknown future...

I think Ghost is holding out on us and he actually posseses knowledge cosmic! :D

Originally posted by Ghost

OH THE HUMANITY!!! (sorry, I just felt like saying that!)

Originally posted by Kilroy
Yeah, I would agree with that, but when you hear a male voice describing obviously a kilrathi ship (I think it was like "about XXX meters long, looks like...) another voice answering "Roger that, ..." and saying a name. I forgot what name it was (I will watch the movie again and check out), but it was not "Iason". Maybe it was one of the fighters of the Iason, but I don't know...
3 or 4 kilometres long, IIRC (the WCM DVD is within the reach of my hand, but I'm too lazy to check ;)). And the name was "Sparrow". This could be a callsign for the Iason, but that's virtually impossible - "3-4 km" is a clear indication that this is not the Iason incident, regardless of which Iason version you're looking at.

But Sparrow is describing the object he sees not the Iason! What was the name of the ship which destroyed the Iason? Maybe it was 3-4 kilometers long.

Yes, he's describing the object that destroyed the Iason. Which is a destroyer (we don't know of any WC destroyer bigger than 1 km - most were under 500 metres) in the game version, and apparently a group of merchant ships (which would definitely not be that big) in the Movie version. Indeed, whether this is a ship at all (rather than a base of some sorts) is questionable. 3-4 km is pretty big for a ship, err... on or about 2634, considering that it wasn't until much later than the problems involved in jumping with larger ships were resolved.

(Note: you can get more info about the ship(s) that met the Iason in LOAF's post, on an earlier page of this thread)

[Edited by Quarto on 06-17-2001 at 09:48]

They're completely different situations.

In Claw Marks, the TCS Iason is destroyed after a 22 minute standoff with the KIS K'rath'kan, a Kilrathi destroyer. This occurs on 2669.105.

Claw Marks says 2629!!! Also the CIC Timeline. You seemed to have made a typo.

[Edited by Kilroy on 06-17-2001 at 10:20]

Just a little side question.

Originally posted by Quarto
considering that it wasn't until much later than the problems involved in jumping with larger ships were resolved.

What sort of problems Quarto?

The second Iason situation isn't 'first contact' -- it's just the Kilrathi attacking one of our ships.

I don't think the voice-over in the intro is supposed to be either situation...

The problem with jumping larger ships was that ships of a certain tonnage where physically too massive to be pushed through a jump point. THe Kilrathi solved this problem... regardless, a 3-4 km long ship isn't necessarily that *large* -- it's just long.

Back