Tolwyn

Essex

Spaceman
I know all of you guys like McDowell as Tolwyn, but I thought that the guy from the movie was really good as Tolwyn. I just can't see McDowell crying in Fleet Action.

Originally posted by Essex
I know all of you guys like McDowell as Tolwyn, but I thought that the guy from the movie was really good as Tolwyn. I just can't see McDowell crying in Fleet Action.

And you can see the Tolwyn from the movie crying? I sure can't.

I can see a younger version of the tolwyn from the games "McDowell" crying. Also the dude from the movie was too old

I think that more people like McDowell as Tolwyn simply because we have gotten used to him. He was there for both WC III & IV.

The novels portray Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn as a significantly more... "human" character, who is not afraid to let go his emotions...
I think we can safely say that from the novels, Tolwyn appears as a "nice guy", a leader many of us would like to serve under.

From the games, the image I had crafted of Tolwyn was "the guy who always means trouble for Blair"... whenever he's around, Blair has to shut up and mumble how annoying the admiral is (this is just the impression I got, it's not necessarily the truth).

McDowell is very good in playing this latter part of Tolwyn... dark, composed, orderly... traits that the Admiral reobtains in the novels Heart of the Tiger and Price of Freedom, adapted from the games.
But from the other novels, Tolwyn really appears as the brilliant strategist who's going to save Earth, "while at the same time looking cool" if you catch my meaning... :)
He worries about his nephew Kevin, talks to Jason Bondarevsky as a friend, and we even get to meet a few of his older comrades, like Vance Richards, who respect him and treat him as a friend...

It's just a different picture than the games'...

[Edited by mpanty on 06-11-2001 at 19:15]

Yeah, that's kinda how I think. Warner was a decent Tolywn, but I got used to having McDowell around.

In fact, when I read the movie novel and Pilgrim Stars, I imagined as much as I could from the games. The only things that stayed the same in my mind were Angel, Rapiers, Broadswords, Concordia, and anyone we didn't see in the games i.e. Gerald.

It seemed a bit weird imagining Davies as Paladin in Pilgrim Stars, but I did.

Also, for some reason I imagined Johan McDaniel as that guy who was the main charecter on that Millenium show a few years back.

whenever I read the books I always think of the game people, except tolwyn, for him I think of the guy with the mustache and the cape from WC2

Originally posted by mpanty
He worries about his nephew Kevin, talks to Jason Bondarevsky as a friend, and we even get to meet a few of his older comrades, like Vance Richards, who respect him and treat him as a friend...

It's just a different picture than the games'...

Not at all -- you're describing the Tolwyn seen in SO1/2, which was the game that had last been released when ER and FF were written.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Not at all -- you're describing the Tolwyn seen in SO1/2, which was the game that had last been released when ER and FF were written.
Oh okay then... it's true that the SO1/2 picture of Tolwyn is much "nicer" than what seen previously and thereafter...

Perhaps his traits grew dark again because of what happened during Fleet Action, and his worries that project Behemoth might be the only hope Confed had left (I'm sure anyone would lose their high spirits in his place)....

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
In fact, when I read the movie novel and Pilgrim Stars, I imagined as much as I could from the games...

Also, for some reason I imagined Johan McDaniel as that guy who was the main charecter on that Millenium show a few years back.

Hey, I did that with the WCM novelization!

Oh, Lance Henriksenn (sp?).

McDowell is Tolwyn. Me and several friends had a discussion while filming our Phantom Meance Parody ( http://www.pythonet.org/phantommovie ) we had a rather...involved and animated discussion of McDowell vs David Warner.

We determined that McDowell had the borderline crazy essence of a taticly brilliant soldier. He personififed
everything that Confed wishes it could be.

We also determined that as good an actor Warner is, he
looks like a potato. :)

[Edited by LeHah on 06-12-2001 at 00:46]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Not at all -- you're describing the Tolwyn seen in SO1/2...
I've said it before, but I always found it funny when Tolwyn greets Blair with, "Good morning" at the start of SO1. So chummy after the Tiger's Claw episode! :)

Maniacle...mean...so many traits from Clockwork Orange...hehehe

McDowell is great at being a 'misunderstood' villain! Also I wish I could say "colonel" the way he could. I want his accent!

Originally posted by Wedge009
I've said it before, but I always found it funny when Tolwyn greets Blair with, "Good morning" at the start of SO1. So chummy after the Tiger's Claw episode! :)

I found that too. It is ironic what happens to a man ofter another saves his life. If Blair had come back to the Concordia without finishing off the starbase, he would have been Court Martialed. However, since he did, he was proclaimed a hero, even though he should have been Court Martialed for disobeying orders in a time of war.

Blair didn't really save Tolwyn's life... he just blew up the starbase that the Concordia would have attacked anyway. :)

Maybe Tolwyn was greatful to Blair for saving him carrier fuel money? :D

Warner was too old as someone else said, he should have been 46 instead of 56 or older....but other than that, I thought he was great. I have never played the games because I can't find them...

Back