Tolwyn

Originally posted by Wedge009
(...)
I've said it before, but I always found it funny when Tolwyn greets Blair with, "Good morning" at the start of SO1. So chummy after the Tiger's Claw episode! :)

Though he is definately friendlier than in WC2, I always had the impression that he did not like to admit that he had been wrong who can blame him?). E.g. a little dig when he tells Blair, when he is transferred to Special Operations, to follow Paladin's orders better than his.

How old is Tolywn at his death in WC4. Must've been around 19, 20 in Action Stations, then the war lasted for what, 40 some odd years? So is Tolywn like, 60 or 70 in WC4?

Then adding to the age thing, has the human life expentancy grown at all in the past 700 years? I'd imagine with all the medical science and such, the standard life exptenacy should be at the very least 100. Maybe more than that.

The standard life expectancy during the war would be rather low... because of the trillions of casualties and all.

TC

Originally posted by TC
The standard life expectancy during the war would be rather low... because of the trillions of casualties and all.

TC

Good point, but afterwards like WCP time people must live a bit longer.

Even with trillions of casualties, the standard life span could have been fairly high -- given that a minority of worlds were actually directly hit by the war.

They probably don't have a good life expectancy worked out at that period, since it takes quite a while to get enough numbers to make a proper average.

TC

Hey, Tolwyn lost his wife and kid(s?) during the Battle of Earth, correct? Anyone know their names or background?

Didn't Tolwyn lose his family much earlier than that. I thought that his nephew Kevin was one of the few relatives that he had left.

Tolwyn had three sons, including "Reggie" (born in 2646) and a daughter (Clara, don't start...)... his wife's name was Elizabeth. They were married in 2642, and the family was killed in 2648.

Originally posted by TC
The standard life expectancy during the war would be rather low... because of the trillions of casualties and all. (...)
They probably don't have a good life expectancy worked out at that period, since it takes quite a while to get enough numbers to make a proper average.
I don't think that casualties themselves have an effect on life expectancy, TC, at least when it comes to predictions made by scientists...
Rather, it's more the restrictions due to the war (like in medical care and in the diet) that account for the low numbers in war-times...
But I'm no expert in this, so I will stop here...

Yet, bringing up Tolwyn's age, reminds me this topic was discussed a while ago:

Originally posted by mpanty, in the "Kilrathi life expectancy?" thread
I think a more interesting question to ask here, would be what is the life expectancy of HUMANS in the 27th century?..

Because, considering that presently the expectancy is around 75 years for males, and 83 for females, and the rate of increase is 2.5 years every 10 years (or 4 months every month), we would expect the life expectancy in 2600 to be
150 years more than now ([600 years/10 years]*2.5 years), hence 225 years for males and 233 for females!!!!
As LOAF pointed out, such figures were however not achieved in 2600, for reasons in the biology field that don't seem very obvious...
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF, in the "Kilrathi life expectancy?" thread
The known records for human ages in the WCU are 156 years and 419 years. The latter was an isolated case which involved constant organ replacement...
If life expectancy, at the moment, is increasing... what is there to stop it? Why shouldn't it occur indefinitely, when we think about the incredible technological progress still ahead of us?

I can simply suppose the WC designers chose not to take this factor into account, possibly to simplify things, or simply because... "they couldn't think of absolutely everything"! ;)

[Edited by mpanty on 06-12-2001 at 22:27]

The WC designers didn't take into account life expectancy? What the hell are you talking about? We can count the number of WC characters who die of something other than being killed on our hands... <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The WC designers didn't take into account life expectancy? What the hell are you talking about? We can count the number of WC characters who die of something other than being killed on our hands... <G>
Okay okay... but that die at over age 200? The increase rate figures are right below, LOAF...

That's from Privateer 2, why are you replying to month old posts:)?

We honestly *don't* see anyone die of old age in WC... we see somebody die of a heart attack... but that's about it.

Who would want to live over a hundred anyway, youd still be REALLY old and weak. Its not like you stay younger longer because you live longer.

Not necessarily ... or perhaps ... to a certain extent.

A large part of the increased life expectency is due to improved diet, hygiene, health care etc. which affects us all through our lives. In other words, we are 'getting older' later. It's not just about keeping us alive when we get old.

Today, we really don't consider a person 'old' until about 55-60+. 200 years ago, a 40 year old would probably look the same.

Personally, I feel there is an upper limit to this age thing. If anything, it's going to turn around, given the way we seem to be looking after ourselves (i.e. junk food, pollution etc.)

See thats whats missleading about these age issues where people only lived till 40 and died. Lots of people lived longer but they count deaths of children and losses of pregnancy and medical things for everyone when they do the averages. Usually if they lived to 40, even hundreds of years ago, they lived longer barring the plague. A 40 year old then would look like a 40 year old now.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
...when he tells Blair, when he is transferred to Special Operations, to follow Paladin's orders better than his.
I took that to be as Tolwyn saying it as a joke.

Back