To the UE team

to the people who said that modding was illegal I think it is not because you have not distributed the non free episodes of secretops and the engine and first episodes are still availible for free (you also have not charged for your mod) and most game companies have in the past not minded the modded community for the fact it extends the shelf life of their work increasing their sales. Look for interviews from Cliffy B (one of the creators of Unreal to see what I'm talking about.)

Oh, there's nothing illegal about distributing episode 1 of Secret Ops... Unknown Enemy definately violates copyrights and trademarks for using the various Wing Commander things that they have... It's just the sort of thing most companies let slip because it helps build / keep a fan base

and In that case TC I think that is why EA is releasing WCP on GBA as to test the market cause they must be checking up on you guys a little bit right. otherwise why would they attemp even doing it. so basically I don't even think EA will even think of messing with UE but instead embrace it eventually if it get enough notariety and they might try to adopt some of the great modders on this board to continue the series since origin seems to be not interested with there hands full with UO.

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
and In that case TC I think that is why EA is releasing WCP on GBA as to test the market cause they must be checking up on you guys a little bit right. otherwise why would they attemp even doing it. so basically I don't even think EA will even think of messing with UE but instead embrace it eventually if it get enough notariety and they might try to adopt some of the great modders on this board to continue the series since origin seems to be not interested with there hands full with UO.

Wow... EA doesn't really care about Prophecy GBA, though... the only reason it's being made is that they licensed a bunch of their properties for use on the GBA to destination games... Raylight was working on a wing commander clone, talked to EA, found out destination had the publishing rights for GBA and talked to them. EA hasn't really been any help to raylight at all. EA certainly isn't 'testing' anything.

Originally posted by TC
Oh, there's nothing illegal about distributing episode 1 of Secret Ops... Unknown Enemy definately violates copyrights and trademarks for using the various Wing Commander things that they have... It's just the sort of thing most companies let slip because it helps build / keep a fan base

Well UE certainly does not violate Trademarks. We don't claim that it is original work, do we? We would violate trademark if we said we made it all of ourself and the name Wingcommander belongs to us,...

Also I don't think it violates copyright per se. For example the credits show who did what. In such Origin gets the copyright for what they did.
Just as we have copyright at the new parts BTW...

The only really questionable thing is if modding/reverse engineering is allowed.
PS: Secret Ops doesn't show any licence terms IIRC, so everything
should be allowed to do with it...

Originally posted by cff
Well UE certainly does not violate Trademarks. We don't claim that it is original work, do we? We would violate trademark if we said we made it all of ourself and the name Wingcommander belongs to us,...

It violates trademark if it could have an effect on the perception of the name, AFAIK (and I may be wrong. I have little knowledge of trademark law). Which, since it's called Wing Commander Unknown Enemy, it could have.

Also I don't think it violates copyright per se. For example the credits show who did what. In such Origin gets the copyright for what they did.
Just as we have copyright at the new parts BTW...

The only really questionable thing is if modding/reverse engineering is allowed.
PS: Secret Ops doesn't show any licence terms IIRC, so everything
should be allowed to do with it...

Shrinkwrap licenses are bullshit anyway (although for a product that was free, it may be easier to defend it's legitimacy). That doesn't mean this is allowable under copyright law. UE blatantly takes Wing Commander material, recreates it, and distributes it. That'd be like EA going and making Half Life 2, saying they don't own the copyrights and giving it away and that being fine, legally.

well since as you said TC that EA doesn't give a damn about wc why don't they release the code like freespace 2 was? Essentually making it legal. They must feel the time will be right to do it again otherwise there would be no need to hold on to it.

well since as you said TC that EA doesn't give a damn about wc why don't they release the code like freespace 2 was? Essentually making it legal. They must feel the time will be right to do it again otherwise there would be no need to hold on to it.

Simply releasing things doesn't make them legal... it, of course, depends how you go about releasing it... EA doesn't seem to be exactly confident about what Origin materials they own, which makes it rather difficult to release the early games. There is, of course, also the chance that they can still make money off of them (as they did with WC1 KS when they were paid to allow it on a magazine CD). There's also the slight problem that there's absolutely nobody around that knows the code well enough to put it in order for release.

We asked for code a year (or two? lol, can't remember) ago, with 500 names on a petition backing it up.

The truth of it is the WC1/2 engine code is either gone allthogether.. Even if we did have itm the initial programming was done by CR and from what I understand it's a real mess.

As far as engines and source goes, we can do a lot with Vision, and theres always the Vega Strike engine (which kicks major arse).

I have yet to download Vegastrike does it support in flight mouse control like prophecy does. (yes I'm to cheap to buy a joystick and anyway I got good flying with an opptical mouse)

I have yet to download Vegastrike does it support in flight mouse control like prophecy does. (yes I'm to cheap to buy a joystick and anyway I got good flying with an opptical mouse)

Yup it does :)

Back