To the UE team

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
Just yestersay I contacted the best PC magazine here and told them about UE.

Is there a problem if they deside to put the UE in the next issue of the magazine along with the CD ??

OfCourse they ll make a mini-review (or a normal if I ll push them!)

Theres no problem at all, it would actually be very helpfull, not everyone can download 80MB easily :) You may want to suggest to them including Secret Ops on the CD too, its still legal to distribute episode 1 and at 120MB it would definatley be a good idea.

Could you do me a favour though, pick up a few copies of the magazine I'll be happy to pay the costs of the magazine/shipping and I don't doubt that some of the other people on the project feel the same way.

Hey guys, I am not sure about this distribution thing... Having a review in a magazine is fine, having them post our URLs is fine too. Maybe even distributing UE, if we are a bit adventurous. But distribution SO is another thing. Magazines who distributed it in the past got premission from OSI as far as I know. We don't want to get in any trouble with EA.

Actually I don't think that they did for episode 1, they need permission for the additional episodes.

The original download was free to distribute or mirror online. The additional episodes, however, were not. Magazines and websites that distributed or mirrored them did so without permission.

Anyhow, they can still include the main package if they want to.

A quick question...

I'm sure you all probably looked into this whenever the original mod was spawned, but you all realize of course that the title "Wing Commander" itself, though used in tandem with "Unknown Enemy" is still a copyrighted trademark of Origin Systems/EA/what have you. Did you all get clearance to use the title in your mod before distributing this thing? I mean I don't think they'd have legal grounds to do more than ask you to cease distribution if you didn't (can't sue because you're not making a buck off the name (losing a few in my case until the other mirrors got back on hehe)), but then again I wouldn't want to see that happen. A magazine distribution would most likely certainly prompt something like that if not taken care of. Just a thought... *shrug*

Heh, most of the stuff done by the WC modding community is technically illegal :p. I mean, it's not just the title - we're infringing every copyright they have :).

Originally posted by Quarto
Heh, most of the stuff done by the WC modding community is technically illegal

Only WC modding community?
I think that all the mods infringe the copyright laws

In that case...

Wouldn't that make it a little riskay to (in a rather out-there obvious sort of way) publicly advertise said mod?

Sorry but we're going to have to advertise this mod, and if they close us down one day... well atleast a few thousand fans played UE rather than a few hundered.

I doubt they will though, we're one of the fan commitments which is keeping the franchise very viable.

Since we're not making any money off of it, and we're keeping the francise alive, I really don't think EA would have a problem with it.

Also, I'd want a magazine and CD too... just let me know what I need to do in order to get it.

Originally posted by Ghost
Only WC modding community?
I think that all the mods infringe the copyright laws

I very much doubt so. Maybe with the whacky US copyright laws the RIAA, MPAA and Co are pushing.
If you refer to the licenses you see acompanied with software they are about as much worth as toilet paper. Most parts would not stand in court here (Austria).

One example I red recently. A German company (whos name I forgot) is about to release an unofficial Warcraft 3 addon - made with the editor that comes with the game. Now in case you don't know - it is explicitely forbidden by Blizzard to sell stuff made with that editor. They most likely will sue as well. Doesn't stop the guys who sell it. They know that to 99% they'll win...

You hugely overestimate the rights of the companies. Many lawsuits are won by either having the little man so scared that he doesn't dare to fight back or by just suing as long as he is bankrupt - not by the right holder actually winning.

Well, I dont know what to do right now.....

Will I proceed or not... ??

Ive already contacted with the Magazine and Im waiting for their answer (I got the right connections ,so Im sure it will be positive if you want to).

This Magazine has already included in their CD the SO (only the first episode) in the past , but Ill push them to include it again :)

The Magazine is PCMaster and my country is Greece :)

Well thats the most famous Magazine here and it has lots of WcFans :)

Sorry I forgot to register :)
The last post was from me :)

Just tell me if you want me to proceed or not :::)

TCSTigersClaw

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
OK guys , Ill do my best, and hope well see UE in the next month`s issue !

Cool man, plz buy a copy for me, tell me how muh ti cost and the S&H stuff, I will send you a money order thete so you can dend me a copy of the mag and the CD

Dont worry ! Ill buy enough copies for every one :)

Just hope it will actually happen.

Back