To ALL members here just want to say..

Don't forget, aside from games, Wing Commander's explorations into other media. The CIC has the entire collection of WC: Academy, the excellent cartoon that used the original cast to reprise their characters in a pre-WC1 setting. An no WC Fan's experience is complete without reading the well-written series of novels. Freedom Flight is my personal favorite - it tell the story of the Firekka campaign that we got to play through in WC: Secret Missions 2 - Crusade. And I seem to remember finding a draft copy of End Run either on the CIC or linked to it - all of it great entertainment.

Welcome to the CIC - I'm glad you found a vibrant community of dedicated fans. Don't let any abrasive member deter you from sticking around and participating - everyone here has at least one thing in common, and that's an ever-expanding scifi universe.

Hey ChanceKell!
Thanks for the reccommendations,I'll defo look at the cartoon series, see what it is like, I didn't know there was a Secret Ops2 for WC1, I did check out the footage of Secret Ops 1 for the SNES, somethin about the Kilrathi obtaining a secret poweful weapon to use against the humans, if I'm correct, though havent seen any videos of WC1: Secret ops2 so I'll check that out before watchin Wing Commander 3... and thanks for the welcome, : )

If I'm not mistaken, Secret Ops for the SNES contains both SO 1 and 2 for the PC. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember being able to fly a captured Kilrathi Dralthi in SO2, which I believe is the only "new" ship you get to fly in the Secret Ops expansions.

WC1 expansions are Secret Missions 1: Operation Thor's Hammer and Secret Missions 2: Crusade

WC2 has Special Operations 1 & 2 as addons.

If I'm not mistaken, Secret Ops for the SNES contains both SO 1 and 2 for the PC. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember being able to fly a captured Kilrathi Dralthi in SO2, which I believe is the only "new" ship you get to fly in the Secret Ops expansions.

No, "The Secret Missions" for SNES doesn't include anything from SM2. It has an intro with Admiral Gilkarg that the PC version lacks, though.

Just to clarify the names of the add-ons...
"Wing Commander" has two, "The Secret Missions" and "The Secret Missions 2: Crusade."
"Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi" also has two, "Special Operations 1" and "Special Operations 2."
"Wing Commander Prophecy" has one, "Secret Ops." Secret Ops is now a free download, as are its mods "Unknown Enemy" and "Standoff."

The names aren't a big deal, but they're easy to confuse and can make it hard to find videos or whatever of the game you want.

Gotta add that whilst watchin the ''cinematics' it was quite amusing the bit where Talon is trying to remember the Kilrathi language correctly when they are seeking clearance to dock in at the mandarin homeworld under the disguise of a Kilrathi ship....if they got it wrong they'd have been blown out of the sky!

"Wing Commander Prophecy" has one, "Secret Ops." Secret Ops is now a free download, as are its mods "Unknown Enemy" and "Standoff."

Secret Ops was included in a bundle with Prophecy called Prophecy Gold, but it's not an addon. Secret Ops is a standalone sequel to Prophecy.

In so far as WC games haven't been numbered like that in a dozen years and won't be again, yes.

Yeah probably won't be numbered like that again,depending on if EA ever revive the franchise and make a new full-blown adventure....that is suprising though about Secret Ops being Wing Comm 6, I thought it was only an expansion pack!

Yeah probably won't be numbered like that again,depending on if EA ever revive the franchise and make a new full-blown adventure....

EA will do that, but that's not what the numbering scheme depends on. They already stopped numbering the main games in the series a couple games ago, so what could they number the next game? They're not going to call it "WC7" because there was no "WC5" or "WC6." And even if they did call Secret Ops "WC6," after a fifteen year gap it wouldn't make sense to call the next game "WC7."

that is suprising though about Secret Ops being Wing Comm 6, I thought it was only an expansion pack!

It's got 56 full missions with plot branching, a long storyline, lots of new ships, lots of new weapons, and you don't fly off the Midway. The name is even "Wing Commander Secret Ops" (not WCP: SO).

56 missions!! crazy! definitley more than a expansion then, I was watching the Secret ops to WC2 and that only had 15-16 missions! I'd definitly be interested if EA decided to add more to the series, (hopefully it'd be multi-format too!)....remains to be seen IF and WHEN it happens...

....that is suprising though about Secret Ops being Wing Comm 6, I thought it was only an expansion pack!

As Chris says, far from it!

Aside from the new ships, revised weapons, and new locales/plot line.... (heh, aside from that little difference)

What was really different and cool about Secret Ops was the internet delivery system. Oh, and it was free! :D:D:D

Every week, they had a new 4-6 mission set released through their internet site. You'd log in and it would pull in the latest fiction and mission pack.

You had a whole UI with "emails" between the characters, briefings on the tactical and strategic picture, news broadcasts, etc. It was extremely cool. I recall sitting there each Tuesday (? was it every Tuesday?) biding my time with homework waiting for the download to finish so I could be up til 2 playing through the missions.

By the time it was done, it was a whole additional game, free of charge, that kept you coming back week after week.

What I wanted to know was with this free download of the Special Ops pack for Wing Comm 5 (as it's unofficially known) is the sound quality any good, ie somethin along the lines of CD quality, or is the music/sounds that of what you'd get from a DOSBox game etc, (gotta say the music in WC2 is kool, especially the ''lock on'' track whilst in combat with it's beats ...l.ol..)

WC2's expansions are Special Operations, not Secret.

The sound quality is what you'd come to expect from any WC game. Top Notch.

Just download the starter package and give SO's first episode a try. Nothing better than actual playing time.

Here is a front page story that has links to the starter package and all the episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back