Timeline between Secret Ops & WC Arena..

Last time I checked this there were three ships unidentified:

That's interesting thinking, but I think you're attributing far too much to the people who put together the chart. :) I can confirm from the forthcoming gloss posts that the ships didn't have definite roles in mind but rather were created to suggest that the Nephilim had a *few* other shiptypes that were seen after Prophecy. Three of the ships had (unofficial) development names: the Marlin (upside down Hydra), the Puffer (spikey ship) and the Earwig (dead center support ship). I think the chicken shaped one had a name, too, but I can't remember what it was right now...

There are two problems with this date. The first is that it disagrees with LOAF's timeline (http://www.hamtwoslices.net/loaf/fleetcarriers.html) which states that the last Midway should come online in 2685. We could assume that it is delayed, but this is contradicted by Star*Soldier which says it was "Rushed into Service". My understanding of LOAF's timeline is that it's unofficial, so the 2686 should probably be the projected Service Entry Date (Sorry LOAF, if this is wrong, let me know ASAP).

Ignore that timeline entirely - it's based on too many assumptions and it exists to answer a question that no one even asks anymore. If I weren't very, very lazy and somewhat interested in the history of the community then I'd just go ahead and delete it.

Beyond that, AD is (perhaps sadly) correct - the only piece of material here that's "canon" is Star*Soldier. The rest can be a good guide, but you can't hold it up as official... anything can and will contradict it. I think you'll see that more and more in the coming months, as we uncover more and more 'post Prophecy' development material.

Now, that said, I don't think there's such a thing as an impossible contradiction... I'd love to sit down and use all this material (plus what's going to come out) to create an 'unofficial canon' that could be used for this and other projects. It's a silly idea, but it would be a fun and new exercise...

(Note that Star*Soldier has the war going as late as 2698 at one point - the Port Broughton was being used by the militia for a desparate defense *four years later* than 2694. The intention at the time was certainly that the Nephilim War had been going on 'all this time' from WCP to just before Arena.)

That's interesting thinking, but I think you're attributing far too much to the people who put together the chart. :) I can confirm from the forthcoming gloss posts that the ships didn't have definite roles in mind but rather were created to suggest that the Nephilim had a *few* other shiptypes that were seen after Prophecy. Three of the ships had (unofficial) development names: the Marlin (upside down Hydra), the Puffer (spikey ship) and the Earwig (dead center support ship). I think the chicken shaped one had a name, too, but I can't remember what it was right now...

Sorry to have you reveal that early, I was fixing up my timeline list so that I could have it ready when the Gloss News Post came out. I can't wait!

Is it possible the Earwig is the Fighter Destroyer? I'm starting to think no because that's not really a support type ship.

Now, that said, I don't think there's such a thing as an impossible contradiction... I'd love to sit down and use all this material (plus what's going to come out) to create an 'unofficial canon' that could be used for this and other projects. It's a silly idea, but it would be a fun and new exercise...

That's kind of my plan for the timeline I've been working on. Today I'm going through the PLO2 material again and listing the Kilrathi side of things to integrate into the Timeline (and reading pieces of the PLO3 script for references, too, but that's a longer process).

Can I help you develop the unofficial canon in anyway other then continuing this project? I'm immensely interested in the post-Prophecy universe.

(Note that Star*Soldier has the war going as late as 2698 at one point - the Port Broughton was being used by the militia for a desparate defense *four years later* than 2694. The intention at the time was certainly that the Nephilim War had been going on 'all this time' from WCP to just before Arena.)

Thanks for pointing that out. I lost some files off my harddrive and so I've been working from an old copy of the timeline which is missing some Star*Soldier references. I'm going to cull it again for anything that should be included in the timeline.

I'm loving these convos...there's so much information to go over. As far as the WC:CD Mod and I know people keep getting me confused with Jason_Ryock and that's fine :) But...

I agree with AD and LOAF that Privateer Online or POL2 is more of "It coulda happened" in certain instances "It didn't happen" in certain instances and that the S*S manual is official they others weren't created. Because certain things aren't referenced. And I know it brings mass confusion because I haven't made exact dates on when this Mod is around, is it towards the beginning of the Nephilim War (after SO)? or is it late in the war (right before Arena)?. I would have written that it is sometime in the beginning of the war not THE beginning but towards the beginning it would seem that Confed is a little vulnerable...and with the WC:CD Mod it was titled because Confed was vulnerable and spread far too thin with the forces that it had. You can only help but wonder "why did confed decommision much of it's military force?" Because there was no REAL threat...But now after the events of Prophecy and Secret Ops...The Confederation was wrong. Sure there was some time to start repairs and reconstruct, develop, and produce new things, but the time had been limited.

Now the only thing I can think of is they must of at least had some type of surplus...Which may include older fighters...Which would have to be rushed to the front lines to defend or perhaps even to run away from an enemy that was overpowering. I'm not looking at this Campaign as something that you see confed winning a whole lot. It seemed that for some time Confed wasn't doing so great, and it seems that during the time of Arena confed and terrans in general still wasn't doing all that great. Correct me If I'm wrong... It seemed like Confed went through a dark time in the beginning

Older fighters with their aythentic weapon configs couldn't match the new fleet at the stalemate when secret ops and prophecy were in place?

still, i'd miss sabre's and morningstars...

naw that couldn't be true I mean a mass driver is a mass driver right? a lasers a laser right? maybe certain flight chareteristics or armor and shields but weaponry is basically all the same

naw that couldn't be true I mean a mass driver is a mass driver right? a lasers a laser right? maybe certain flight chareteristics or armor and shields but weaponry is basically all the same

I think his point was that shielding and armor strength evolved over time to counter advances in weapon technology (which is a logicial step when you think about) and the weapons/shielding/armor ratings from the early Kilrathi War would hardly stand up to the more advanced weapons being employed by the Nephilim Era.

I think his point was that shielding and armor strength evolved over time to counter advances in weapon technology (which is a logicial step when you think about) and the weapons/shielding/armor ratings from the early Kilrathi War would hardly stand up to the more advanced weapons being employed by the Nephilim Era.

Good point...Thinks had to have evolved one way or another.

Now the only thing I can think of is they must of at least had some type of surplus...Which may include older fighters...Which would have to be rushed to the front lines to defend or perhaps even to run away from an enemy that was overpowering. I'm not looking at this Campaign as something that you see confed winning a whole lot. It seemed that for some time Confed wasn't doing so great, and it seems that during the time of Arena confed and terrans in general still wasn't doing all that great. Correct me If I'm wrong... It seemed like Confed went through a dark time in the beginning

I wasn't able to finish this and wasn't able to go back and edit but I wanted to elaborate on some of the WC:CD Story so here it goes

naw that couldn't be true I mean a mass driver is a mass driver right? a lasers a laser right? maybe certain flight chareteristics or armor and shields but weaponry is basically all the same. I wouldn't worry I'm really trying to make a broad spectrum of people happy. I don't want to have something that someone doesn't like, I don't want something that also isn't practical.
Since the beginning of the WC:CD project I've really been asking people for there thoughts because I'd rather be proven wrong then actually think I'm right when I'm not.....If that makes sense, meaning the more feedback and info I get from people the more I can take into account when making certain game changing decisions...Bottom line is...I value your opinion no matter who you are, and it does take weight and hold water when decisions are made. Certain things that I want to bring to this MOD is a feeling of..."WoW, That was different, That was a challange"
I also want people to feel that there's a valid story and that things are totally just made up out of thin air. That's why I've used the assistance of people that know it the best.."YOU" the fans :)
When using many documents and thoughts that the game developers had used, in theory of certain WC Universe trinkets and charecters,races,ships,etc...You get a feeling that certain things would seem plausible and other things can be expanded on. Meaning I don't think in any of the games that the developers had done, that there wasn't a cognitive thought process behind what was being done. They always had to have a reason for certain things, always had to make certain things believable (Even though it's just a game) It's the feel of "Wow That's cool" and ultimately I want it to be fun and challenging for everyone, I want people to see different things.
In reference to the Prophecy and Secret Ops Ships:
The only ships that we will not see will probably be the Piranha and perhaps the Devastator. Here's the reasoning behind it....
the WC:CD Mod will not be set on the traditional Midway Class Carrier or Hades class Strike Cruiser...The Midway class will be in the game but not the players post....There is another Thread Called "WC:CD "Artemis Class" in which Introduce the ship. Although the Artemis class has a "BB" designation, It has a small fighter load (51) with only 18 pilots roughly 2 small squadrons. It is a non-canon ship so no info except armament was takin from any documents. The Artemis has limited fighter cabability and will be rushing to support a larger battlegroup that has already been engaging the enemy. As a new class of ship the Artemis is one of the only ships with large anti shipping guns other than the Plunkett class ship. Now the "XXXXXXX XXX" battlegroup is suffering heavy losses and needs the players help. So for the first episode it's going to be a rush to help a carrier group on the front lines that oddly enough was just commissioned a few months before, that could or could not potentially be lost and that would be a great loss so early in the war. With not much of confeds forces being rallyed to meet this enemy political debate. And the Midway Carrier Group being engaged on a different front. The future of this newer carrier lay in the hands of the player flying surplus ships and, a new Capital ship that hasn't even been tested in combat......

I'm trying to give as much info without giving away a crazy amount of story let me know what you think guys.

I also want people to feel that there's a valid story and that things are totally just made up out of thin air. That's why I've used the assistance of people that know it the best.."YOU" the fans :)QUOTE]

Aren't totally made up out of thin air.... oops

With not much of confeds forces being rallyed to meet this enemy political debate.

Also flubbed up here to. it should read
"With not mouch of confeds forces being rallyed to meet this enemy a political debate ensues"

Is it possible the Earwig is the Fighter Destroyer? I'm starting to think no because that's not really a support type ship.

Sure, it's possible - but it's a connection you made and not one which was intended... which is still just fine. There wasn't any continuity in terms of development team between Wing Commander Prophecy and Wing Commander Arena -- the folks at EA Canada and Gaia Industries didn't have access to the unused plans of the Maverick team.

Star*Soldier was developed with an eye towards honoring some of the documents that *we've* (wcnews.com) archived over the years, but that's as close of a connection as there ever was -- and these references came *after* the picture of the war envisioned by the Arena development team.

What's more, more documents will be uncovered - for example, we know we're about to learn all about an aborted multiplayer post-Secret Ops project called "Phantom Force", as soon as we can get scans from the Mythic job... that was absolutely unknown to the Arena and S*S developers.

Someone looking for new Nephilim ships might want to render that cockroach-looking fighter (?) from the Arena concept art, too. (https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/Survivor_team_nephilim.jpg)

Can I help you develop the unofficial canon in anyway other then continuing this project? I'm immensely interested in the post-Prophecy universe.

Yeah, absolutely - I do have a lot on my plate at the moment, so it's going to have to be something that's done at a slow burn... so whatever you'd like to run is cool with me. In a few weeks we're (hopefully) going to be generating years worth of background material to study!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's more, more documents will be uncovered - for example, we know we're about to learn all about an aborted multiplayer post-Secret Ops project called "Phantom Force", as soon as we can get scans from the Mythic job... that was absolutely unknown to the Arena and S*S developers.

This is differant somehow then the canceled "Strike Force" project, right?

Someone looking for new Nephilim ships might want to render that cockroach-looking fighter (?) from the Arena concept art, too. (https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/Survivor_team_nephilim.jpg)

She looks bigger then a fighter to me!

Yeah, absolutely - I do have a lot on my plate at the moment, so it's going to have to be something that's done at a slow burn... so whatever you'd like to run is cool with me. In a few weeks we're (hopefully) going to be generating years worth of background material to study!

I'm going to break out a new thread soon to keep working on this project, since this one has been overrun with meaningless discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to say maybe it is some type of fighter maybe it isn't it's hard to say...I blew up and lightened the pic maybe someone sees somethin i don't

Attachments

• unknown01.jpg
    unknown01.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 154
This is differant somehow then the canceled "Strike Force" project, right?

We just don't know yet! :) I saw a design concept book about it when I surveyed Mythic... all sorts of details -- but I didn't have time to read anything.

I'm not sure if the Nephilim ship is a large warship or a small fighter (with the purple glass portion being the cockpit.)

We just don't know yet! :) I saw a design concept book about it when I surveyed Mythic... all sorts of details -- but I didn't have time to read anything.

I'm not sure if the Nephilim ship is a large warship or a small fighter (with the purple glass portion being the cockpit.)

Well here's a question - having never played arena, are there smaller wormholes in arena that can accommodate fighter-sized ships?

Yes, but that isn't one of them. :) That's concept art for something that isn't in the game -- which is a level in which you'd team up with your friends and face waves of AI Nephilim together.

That woulda been fun so...it would seem that's what is on ther other side of the wormhole.....I don't like worms even when fishing. :):eek:

So in seeing how i don't have Arena or Xbox......I am now soliciting for donations to the WC:CD Mod Fund in hopes of gaining access to this gaming system :) (Just kidding) I guess I'll have to make more money at my job or something :)

Back