Timeline between Secret Ops & WC Arena..

JasonRocZ

Vice Admiral
I am hard pressed to make missions maybe about 40 missions. for a timeline between Secret Ops and WC Arena. By reading S*S, We have foudn out that the war with the Nephilem went on for almost 20 years and even after that period. I'm wondering if EA may be looking to elaborate on this time and make a game of it. Similar to Secret Ops of coarse with better graphics,gameplay,etc... storyline etc...because we all would like to know what happened to Icemans kid after Secret Ops. Is anyone aboard? I'll make a story line script, Not to cheesy & in WC style, if anyones interested voice some opinions....thoughts....& or suggestions. God or bad, or what have you.

So nobody would want an updated Secret Ops continuing the Nephilim war.... with a few new ships, a few new graphics, and a few new Characters? I'm saddened.

I think you have to wait more than two hours for a reply. :) The other forums aren't as busy as the main one, less people read them - I'm sure everyone would love to find out what happens after Secret Ops...

Yeah I just noticed this thread. It might be nice idea to try to do a few missions and see what goes into working with the Vision engine. Just take the time to think things out before announcing monster plans like miracondcordiaxynx10000 or whatever.

Good plan. I'll keep you guys posted and I'll make a few missions in the next coming days. I used to make missions for the.... don't flame me.. (Xwing) Series of games and made about 30+ missions which were fairly complex. I'll make a few as a teaser and even get hosted on a website of sorts. And I'll post them up on CIC and see what people think if it would be a worthwhile endeavor. I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm sure it's been asked before, but do we know anything about the planned Strike Team game? Like story direction, new ships, that sort of thing. I think the name implied that Confed was going to have a stab at going through the wormhole in Proxima.

Just a thought, it might give some direction to this little project.

I'm not sure how much extra information Star*Soldier gives - its "Looking Back" article ends with no more information than what we had at the end of Secret Ops.

Spread throughout the other articles are discussions/mentions of the behind the lines missions the other Midways and Confed undertook during the war. It is mentioned that the Nephilim opened up several other gates. Perhaps a new take on the basic plot of Secret Ops? S*S makes note that these gates were important to Confed for launching strikes into Nephilim space. So a fan mod about their capture would fit.

Something to think about.

Yes, the SO fiction notes that three anomalies consistent with the Nephilim wormhole openings were detected. I suppose repeating the performance at Proxima would be necessary to gain entry in those respective areas in Nephilim space.

I just wonder though... what's to stop the Nephilim from doing something at their end of the wormhole to make life for any Confed incursion extremely difficult, even lethal? What's to stop them from shutting down the wormhole altogether? I know Finley notes in Prophecy that it took "massive planning" for the Nephilim to accomplish wormhole generation, but with at least four active wormholes at the end of WCSO, it doesn't seem like a huge disaster if the Nephilim were to shut down the gate corresponding to the Proxima wormhole...

JasonRocZ, it sounds like an ambitious and promising undertaking, and I'm sure everybody here hopes you go ahead with it! But I also underline the points made by some of the others that this community has seen a plethora of promised fan things over the years that never delivered too (I'm guilty of this myself as I've been brainstorming on writing my own fan fiction for the events following Prophecy and SO, then later bridging the gap between that and Star*Soldier's information...I'm still working on a trilogy centered around the idea, truth be told, but it's literally been on my "To Do" list for the past 4 years plus!).

But if you're willing and able, I say go for it, man!

Point well taken and I understand to the full extent the amount of work that myself and others will have to undertake in making this project come to life and ultimately fruition. I believe with any project as long as a goal is in mind, it can be achieved. But I totally know where your coming from. From working on projects on the Xwing series of games I know that some things aren't as simple as they look. I have started decompiling much information from Secret Ops and Also Prophecy last night. I know mission building will have to be a coordinated feature and I do plan on doing audio clips if anyone is interested by all means I'll put you on the list of charecters. I do not believe I will be doing much to any other models except creating about 2-3 new models (Roughly based on Arena type craft, and preexisting WC3 craft), using 3ds max and truespace and even Autocad. Texturing will also have to be done to some existing models. Basically I'm NOT looking to reinvent the wheel, just to add on to a great game and story which ultimately should continue in Wing Commander fashion. Work on a website has already begun, and once finished will be provided to some curious onlookers. Work on the website will showcase a few features namely (Charecters, Ships, Pictures, a lil foreshadowing) and really keep WC Fans up to date. I will write a synopsis tonight about the scenario, and post it up tommorrow to see what you guys think, and opinions and facts would be greatly appreciated and also encouraged to make the story mesh with what we all know about the Wing Commander series, mainly historical value. I was thinking about posting up a schedule of sorts to show when certain parts of the project will hopefully be completed. Til tomorrow Cheers

But I also underline the points made by some of the others that this community has seen a plethora of promised fan things over the years that never delivered too (I'm guilty of this myself as I've been brainstorming on writing my own fan fiction for the events following Prophecy and SO, then later bridging the gap between that and Star*Soldier's information...I'm still working on a trilogy centered around the idea, truth be told, but it's literally been on my "To Do" list for the past 4 years plus!).

Tell me about it. I've had an idea for a fanfic surrounding BoT since I first read FA. I wanted to use two characters (either father-son or brothers) to showcase somethings mentioned in FA namely the pilots in the civilian craft that were bait so the marines could land and from someone living near one of the cities that was destroyed on Earth.

It's been on the drawing board for 13 years now :D

I'd go with something like this:

Missions 1-4 - Concordia class fleet carrier helps hold the line on a full out invasion aimed at the core worlds. Said carrier helps stabilize the lines. Represents the first couple years of the war.
Mission 5-6 - Disaster, entire Confed fleets fall victim when the the fleet carrier is destroyed when the Nephilim are able to penetrate phase shields and send in armored battle crusiers. Panic sets in, your fleet carrier starts to fall back from the frontier to the core worlds where it is destroyed. You end up crashing on some planet where you struggle to survive. Communication is lost, many think that the war has been lost. No one knows what has become of the Confederation as a whole.
Mission 6-10 - The world you have crashed on is isolated, establishes contact with the Landrich which is trying to keep cooperation going in the sector. They pool together and refit an old Wake class carrier and you try to defend the small collection of independent systems.
Mission 11-14 A Midway class carrier from the Confederation jumps in and asks for volunteers to launch a raid against the Nephilim industrial facilities just as they did to Confed to isolate their worlds. The Confederation, having lost control of it's sphere of influence, has modified it's Midway carriers to participate in deep penetration strikes while gaining volunteer pilots along the way (think the Lexington in WC:Armada). You participate, jump in and just start raiding worlds, cutting them off, destroying platforms. The Nephilim mysteriously pull back from all other worlds into their core worlds (unlike the Confederation the Nephilim are unable to act independently and thus simply withdrawl from the frontier.
Mission 15 - The carrier is destroyed during the raid and you fall back to join one of the new "super battlecrusiers" now part of a Confed task force surrounding the core worlds. You participate in the final attack on the Nephilim home system along with 16 super battlecrusiers built for just that purpose. The Confed wins, but returns to find that the Confed sphere of influence is reduced to only the core worlds.

Missions 1-4 - Concordia class fleet carrier helps hold the line on a full out invasion aimed at the core worlds. Said carrier helps stabilize the lines. Represents the first couple years of the war.

Well, aside from the obvious flaw there (4 mission to describe a couple of years of the war?) why is that that mods always want to be set in the future...but use ships from the past? I get the whole familiarity thing, but it's just not that realistic.

It'd be like there being a nuclear war, and the United States started rolling out Essex-Class aircraft carriers to fly Hellcat fighters off instead of using the Nuclear Powered Nimtz-class carriers and Hornet fighters.

Well, aside from the obvious flaw there (4 mission to describe a couple of years of the war?) why is that that mods always want to be set in the future...but use ships from the past? I get the whole familiarity thing, but it's just not that realistic.

It'd be like there being a nuclear war, and the United States started rolling out Essex-Class aircraft carriers to fly Hellcat fighters off instead of using the Nuclear Powered Nimtz-class carriers and Hornet fighters.

Good point, put it on a Vesevius class fleet carrier - that would be fun and something not yet done before. Either way I'd make it so it starts off with some nice fleet carriers duals with everyone expecting a Kilrathi War style long drawn out affair when all of the sudden it all goes to hell to the point that Confed is reduced to a sphere of influence of only a couple key core worlds with everyone else on their own... somewhat similar to the dark ages as Rome pulls back which I think is what Arena was trying to hint at.

Good point, put it on a Vesevius class fleet carrier - that would be fun and something not yet done before. Either way I'd make it so it starts off with some nice fleet carriers duals with everyone expecting a Kilrathi War style long drawn out affair when all of the sudden it all goes to hell to the point that Confed is reduced to a sphere of influence of only a couple key core worlds with everyone else on their own... somewhat similar to the dark ages as Rome pulls back which I think is what Arena was trying to hint at.

One thing that I think we're going todo is NOT have these set of missions span over a looooong period of time, maybe over the coarse of a few weeks to a month maybe. No Offense of coarse. Just too much would go into doing such a large project. I'm looking to focus really on a period of time of which "What If" this happened type deal. But by Reading up on S*S it gives a goof time period when many many things could have happened between the 2 times.

I've gotten some great Ideas down last night which isn't a crazy project to be had. And was messing with "3ds Max" for a good amount of time last night importing files, tinkering with them etc. etc. So work has gotten underway. Tonight I will finish my brief foreshadow of the series and go from there

Some good talk here! Since you're clearly very interested in the story of the war, the first thing I would do is create a timeline piece by piece. First, go through everything in Star*Soldier with a fine toothed comb... the booklet provides a surprising amount of information about the war in places other than the timeline. Even when you don't know what something is, mark it down. For instance, in one sidebar we get the story of the TCS Lawrence saving the Midway afte r"Zhrtx’s Doublecross." We don't know what that is, but it could prove a really great baseline for some element of your story... who's Zhrtx? Who did he betray? Etc., etc. S*S is full of great *suggestions* for people interested in telling the story in the future.

If you were me, I 'd make a big word document and I'd color all the material from S*S in blue... then I'd look through some of the design notes from cancelled games and add them in another color, red or somesuch. There's a lot of information, some of it contraditory...

... then I'd fill in all the necessary gaps myself in a third color. Bingo, you've got a wonderful history to build your missions around! And, I dare say, a document that we would all like to have a look at. :)

Back