this game, WC Saga, and the truth

Actually, a friend of mine threatened to kick a customer's butt, then turned around and sold him a cell phone... Still haven't figured out how the hell he did that one.
But, I digress.
First off, Saga(or, rather, members of it's team) has pretty much flamed the dickens out of some people here on occasion. Run a search for it.
Second, Pioneer has only been active for about six months(if that), and has accomplished a great deal, in that time. Especially since they're working with an entirely new game engine. I'm half-tempted to call on Howard Day for a new project I'm working on, but I'm wary of overworking the poor guy, as he's the very lifeblood of Pioneer. He's that good. ;)

Bandit LOAF said:
It's not that at all. The eyes thing is a personal jab. Sphynx is picking at me over a private matter, which people should have learned not to do years ago.

I hate this project. Every time we try to engage in any kind of reasonable discourse with them they turn it into some petty fight about noticing them. We've got Sphynx trying to engage reactionary old LOAF and at the same moment some unknown Freespace fanboy pops up to troll about how they've got the 'best' engine. To borrow from Wing Commander 2: Go to hell, Saga.

I think your attitude stinks. And I think your being petty.

You should be grateful to the Saga team. The mod theyre working on looks very impressive

MartySheen said:

cp-736.jpg

Cordless%20Kettle.jpg

MartySheen said:

You should be grateful to the Saga team. The mod theyre working on looks very impressive

Its best to keep stuff like this to your self, for your sake.

And yes Saga looks impressive, but its 5 years old and has no playable content. Meanwhile Standoff which is the same age has the better part of a campaign.

Now, if Saga would release that demo that they have been promising for a while, I'm sure the majority of us would shut up and enjoy the work.

MartySheen said:

"You're", not "your". But that's idiotic regardless of the pre-teen grammar error... quantify your claim or else it's -- well, exactly petty.

I shouldn't be grateful to the Saga team at all... as we've already said, they promise and promise and do not deliver. I'm grateful when someone buys me dinner or lets me borrow their car -- not when they tell me that maybe we'll have lunch sometime after the heat death of the universe or that if they ever get a car, hoo-boy, I'll be able to go to the grocery store as soon as they've paid it off.

Lehah, I agree with your point(pot calling the kettle black)... but couldn't you have found a black kettle? It doesn't really fit :D
Anyways... I agree with LOAF on this one. Being grateful for something that hasn't happened is like... well, exactly that. It's pointless. Don't get me wrong, what we have seen of the project looks good. But a game isn't JUST about how it looks. It's how it PLAYS. As of this moment, only the team and beta testers know for sure just what that is like.

Actually, it's pretty damn good. And that was the way-back version of the prologue that I played over a year ago.

I'm not part of the development team, just a voice actor and occasional voiceover collector, but I really wanna see the finished prologue released, because I wanna see what all improvements have been made.

As for the "it's done when its done", they would give you a final duedate if they could get one. They're, unfortunately, being forced to wait on unreliable outside sources for some assistance in certain things which I'd be shot if I discussed here. Suffice it to say, though, that It's definitely gonna be pretty damned cool. And just plain neat.

And, no, I'm not the new Saga PR guy. God forbid I get slapped with that unfortunate title.

overmortal said:
They're, unfortunately, being forced to wait on unreliable outside sources for some assistance in certain things which I'd be shot if I discussed here.

And in one simple sentence you show Saga for what it truely is - badly managed and ill-tempered.

overmortal said:
Actually, it's pretty damn good. And that was the way-back version of the prologue that I played over a year ago.

I'm not part of the development team, just a voice actor and occasional voiceover collector, but I really wanna see the finished prologue released, because I wanna see what all improvements have been made.

As for the "it's done when its done", they would give you a final duedate if they could get one. They're, unfortunately, being forced to wait on unreliable outside sources for some assistance in certain things which I'd be shot if I discussed here. Suffice it to say, though, that It's definitely gonna be pretty damned cool. And just plain neat.

And, no, I'm not the new Saga PR guy. God forbid I get slapped with that unfortunate title.

Yeah, that's all great and wonderful and exactly what the problem here is. A select few involved with the development of this project, be they official staff members or not, keep telling us how incredible this game is and how it's almost ready. This has been happening for years. It's not like Pioneer where Howard posts an update every week and tells everyone his project is still a good year or two away. In this case, we see almost no real progress or consistent communication from the team, yet hangers-on keep jumping up and down with nothing to show for it. So in March 2006 the reason for the delay is "unreliable outside sources." People were telling us that this game was amazing to play and practically ready in March 2004. If it was so amazing and ready, how did we get from there to here?

I'm going to hazard a guess here and say graphics. If they're waiting on the HLP guys to release the latest graphics upgrade, that could very well be the cause of the current delay. It could be that they're just now getting to the point that they'll have something to show. I just don't know. I gotta say, I've liked what I've seen so far on this project (graphics-wise, I'm in no position to judge anything else) but that's part of the problem: I haven't seen that much. Saga guys: you want to show some progress? Load the game up, run through the first mission. Take a screenshot every 15 seconds. Post them. Better yet - record a recent video of the first mission. Show it actually in motion - show what you have. That would - I gather - got a lot further than some lame text update to your webpage and yet another photoshop-massaged wallpaper.
Of course, take this with a grain of salt - this is from a guy who has nothing but still, non-interactive pictures to show of his project.

I second Delance here... less talk more game. If Saga wants to release content, great, I'll give it a try and probably even play through it. If not, it's another hole in the road and I'm not going to burn waking time stressing over it or trying to follow nonexistent updates.

That said, bitchin wallpaper.

Howard Day said:
Of course, take this with a grain of salt - this is from a guy who has nothing but still, non-interactive pictures to show of his project.
But your project isn't half half a decade old.

Lt.Death100 said:
But your project isn't half half a decade old.
Well, you know, appearances can be deceiving. In reality, there's just as much reason to be sceptical about Howard's project as there is about Saga, if not more -look up Black Widows in the CIC news archive. You'll find some interesting updates back in 2001...

I've seen it before...what's your point? Because one project went away, we shouldn't trust another? That project had like three screenshots total...I'd say a great deal more effort has been put into Pioneer.

Maj.Striker said:
I've seen it before...what's your point? Because one project went away, we shouldn't trust another? That project had like three screenshots total...I'd say a great deal more effort has been put into Pioneer.
Three screenshots, is that all? Tried looking at the website? (yes, it's offline, but you can see it through the internet archive). The Black Widows, before going mysteriously silent, had just as much to show for itself as Pioneer does now.

Anyway, my point isn't to suggest that Pioneer shouldn't be trusted (though given the ambition and limited resources of the project, it would be a reasonable assumption). I just find it remarkable how anybody could seriously have more faith in Pioneer getting released than in Saga. Whatever you may believe about the quality of these two projects or about the people running them, there simply is not even a shadow of a doubt that Saga will be finished long before Pioneer. Certainly Howard and the other Pioneer folks have never suggested otherwise - so why on earth would uninformed bystanders do so?

Back